Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:49 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,937,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyiop View Post
I moved to St Louis from England 2 months ago, and I'd read a number of positive threads on this forum before moving, but I'm regretting every minute I have to spend here. Americans I knew back in London told me this is a friendly city, and yet everywhere I go I either get out and out anti-English prejudice, or cold indifference. I feel so isolated here. In addition to that, the city is designed entirely for cars - the metro link is poor and the neighbourhoods are so spread out that getting anywhere is a nightmare if you're not selfish enough to own a car. I honestly can't wait to leave this broken, unimaginative, deathly place.
Don't feel bad. Even Americans from outside the region get the same treatment. The entire area has a very insular mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 11:55 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,940,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Sounds like more of a problem with America rather than St. Louis. You really want to see a sprawling, car-centric city? Try Phoenix.
or houston... or any other city in texas....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Don't feel bad. Even Americans from outside the region get the same treatment. The entire area has a very insular mentality.
funny.... i never noticed 1 second of that when i moved here from houston over 25 years ago.....

Old 09-30-2011, 11:57 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,469,745 times
Quote:
I've said it before, but I'll say it again for Tommy's benefit: Living 40 miles outside of the city limits is not the best way to acclimate and meet people. Additionally, being unhappy in your career is a major reason why people are unhappy with a city. In many respects I even felt that way about Chicago. Even though it's a fantastic city, I was honestly ready to leave as we'd made few friends over the years.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I've said it before, but I'll say it again for Tommy's benefit: Living 40 miles outside of the city limits is not the best way to acclimate and meet people. Additionally, being unhappy in your career is a major reason why people are unhappy with a city. In many respects I even felt that way about Chicago. Even though it's a fantastic city, I was honestly ready to leave as we'd made few friends over the years.
Once again: the commute into the city was nothing. It would usually take somewhere between 30 minutes to 45 minutes (there are times it takes me over an hour to travel 15 miles in Orange County).

Who said I was unhappy in my career? I had enough freelance work to kept me busy and solvent.

I would have liked a 9-5 job (mostly to meet new people and become involved in the graphics community) but even with an award winning portfolio and offering to work at far less than I was making in SoCal, I could not find a 9-5 job. Fortunately Lake Saint Louis had a pretty good professional creative community (who were also mostly transplants and freelancers).

I put myself out in the community (in both LSL and the City) City people tend to turn their noses up at people that live in the 'burbs (which is very clear on this board - I have no idea why they think they are so special, or why StL is such a great place). LSL was a bit more friendlier, Even to a west coast liberal living in a very conservative area. But I was not really into joining a church for my social life.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:52 PM

Every Lake St. Louisan I've ever known has wanted to pretend they had nothing to do with the city. They're the folks who thought St. Charles was getting too urban for their tastes. As such, I don't think it's a big shock they're not particularly well liked by city residents. I don't think I've ever heard a city resident say anything significantly derisive about those in Maplewood or Florissant or University City -- only those who choose to remove themselves as much as possible from any semblance of the St. Louis lifestyle. So it's not about suburban vs. urban as so many suburbanites seem (or perhaps like?) to think.

That's clearly neither here nor there to this conversation, and I do hope the OP comes back and gives more detail about what they enjoy doing so the fine folks on this board can attempt to make some useful suggestions.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Every Lake St. Louisan I've ever known has wanted to pretend they had nothing to do with the city. They're the folks who thought St. Charles was getting too urban for their tastes.
Sure they are...

Old 09-30-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Sure they are...
For what purpose would I make that up? I grew up in the area as you've surely read here and knew quite a few people that lived out there and it's always been an odd "island unto itself" sort of place. And they love it that way.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,869,471 times
Sure hope Tommy comes back and follows up but at least he came here and wasn't not like the OP who made a decision based on anonymous internet comments then disappeared into the abyss. That is just ridulous.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:06 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,952,877 times
Quote:
They're the folks who thought St. Charles was getting too urban for their tastes. As such, I don't think it's a big shock they're not particularly well liked by city residents..
Why would a city resident gives two seconds of their time to either "like" or "dislike" Lake St. Louis, or the individuals who reside there because of their indifference on urban living? If anything, Lake St. Louis should help city "boasters" brag about the amazing diversity in living options in the St. Louis metropolitan area.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
For what purpose would I make that up? I grew up in the area as you've surely read here and knew quite a few people that lived out there and it's always been an odd "island unto itself" sort of place. And they love it that way.
Maybe a pocket of sanity amongst the wackiness of the region. Lake Saint Louis made living in Missouri Tolerable.

It would be nicer if they created a little "downtown village" on the undeveloped property on Big Lake with a few non franchise restaurants, bars/pubs and a few Tchotchke stores. But there is a large libertarian mentality there that does not like to pay for life's little improvements that will benefit everyone in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis