U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:27 PM

166 posts, read 200,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I've wondered that myself. Part of the answer I'm sure is that you are in St. Louis County. Also, I think many of St. Louis' suburbs are newer, post WWII communities. That probably meant there wasn't a nearby community post office, and they probably used St. Louis, as in St. Louis county, as their address, which continued even after incorporating. Their are some anomalies in the Chicago area as well. For instance, Niles and Cicero are two towns with long and established histories, but they were assigned Chicago zip codes when zip codes were introduced. They eventually won the battle to receive their own, though.
Good points. My grandpa was a WWII vet, and he and my grandma settled here in Charlack from down state after the war, and they tell me there was not much on the Rock Road when they got here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 PM

2,041 posts, read 3,427,121 times
On the other hand, much of the Cincinnati area consists of unincorporated but well defined suburban areas that use Cincinnati as their address, as opposed to Hamilton (as in Hamilton County). And most of suburban Maryland, around Baltimore and DC, consists of unincorporated but less well defined suburban areas that use the name of the community as their mailing address. The ways of the USPS are a mystery!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:54 PM

978 posts, read 802,839 times
Any ZIP code starting with 631xx is automatically St. Louis, even if it's a suburb. I don't know why they do this and it confused me at first, but that's just the way it's done here I guess.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:38 PM

165 posts, read 156,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoerin View Post
Hi, I can't comment on what it's like to be diverse in Columbus or St. Louis, but I can tell you I have lived in Chicago, St. Louis, and Columbus and LOVE Columbus. Miss it terribly. If you are fresh out of school, I could totally see where you might want a faster paced city. For me, since I had already done that by living in Chicago, Columbus was the perfect fit. Plenty to do, lots cheaper than St. Louis and way way cheaper than Chicago. I loved Columbus because you could be anywhere in 15-30 minutes. St. Louis is bigger and very spread out. The highway systems are not convenient and often times there is not a direct route to get from point a to b. While Columbus may be boring, it's much newer and cleaner. The streets are better maintained and you don't see nearly as many abandoned buildings. I live in St. Louis because my family is here, but it depresses me. It just seems more downtrodden in general. The people are more downtrodden, the buildings are, the roads are, etc. etc. I do think if excitement is what you are looking for, St. Louis might have more to offer, although I felt Columbus had plenty to do.
I've got to say, I'll be a college graduate in December and spent two months traveling the U.S. nonstop earlier this year trying to decide where I wanted to go. I narrowed it down to Columbus and St. Louis. My problem with Columbus--and why I decided against it--was that it was too middle class. It was too boring. Not in the sense that there weren't things to do necessarily, but that it was too humdrum (unless the uppity progressive scene is your thing). I didn't like the vibe there at all. As weird as this will sound, the week-or-so I spent in Columbus was TOO safe and too secure, too everyday for me. I didn't feel like I belonged in a place that I felt lacked racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity when compared to StL. I don't mean this in a condescending way as far as StL is concerned (I'm moving there and have already bought my plane tix--hopefully that says enough), but frankly, Columbus rubbed off on me as being too crisp and clean, too transparent.

---
Just the thoughts of one college-educated, single, white female who chose StL over Columbus.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,833,573 times
^ I couldn't agree with you more. I love St. Louis' grit. it's what I loved about Chicago too. Cleveland has that grit, as does Cincy, but Columbus feels just like a college town to me. I lived in Columbia for four years, I was done with college towns.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:27 PM

3,766 posts, read 1,842,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Any ZIP code starting with 631xx is automatically St. Louis, even if it's a suburb. I don't know why they do this and it confused me at first, but that's just the way it's done here I guess.
It's because the downtown post office on Market Street is the processing center for the entire Gateway District, which handles all mail for zip codes beginning with 631 (along with several other prefixes). Locally, it doesn't really matter which locality you put on an envelope-- St. Louis, Clayton, Maplewood, etc.; as long as the zip code is correct, the letter will undoubtedly make it to its destination.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 PM

200 posts, read 347,007 times
Dr. Pepper-you described Columbus pretty well! The things you mention are exactly what I love about it! I recruit for a living and recruited for one of the largest employers in Columbus and moved close to 100 people there over the years from all over the country. The die hard New Yorkers never liked it and neither did the West Coast folks. Most people in between loved it. And called it a "hidden gem". I can totally see why you would want to live elsewhere fresh out of school. Chicago, in my opinion, would be an amazing choice too. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:55 PM

15 posts, read 16,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
It's because the downtown post office on Market Street is the processing center for the entire Gateway District, which handles all mail for zip codes beginning with 631 (along with several other prefixes). Locally, it doesn't really matter which locality you put on an envelope-- St. Louis, Clayton, Maplewood, etc.; as long as the zip code is correct, the letter will undoubtedly make it to its destination.
It's weird, some people here have no idea where they live. SOME people who live within the 270 loop think that they live in STL city and that Clayton or Maplewood must be a burrough name or something. At work I have actually had people think I am talking s@$t when I ask them if they live in the City of St. Louis or in St. Louis County, because of my job it has to be that detailed. When they seem unsure WTF I am talking about I have to ask them their street and cross-street to be sure.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:34 PM

2,840 posts, read 2,611,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBerry View Post
It's weird, some people here have no idea where they live. SOME people who live within the 270 loop think that they live in STL city and that Clayton or Maplewood must be a burrough name or something. At work I have actually had people think I am talking s@$t when I ask them if they live in the City of St. Louis or in St. Louis County, because of my job it has to be that detailed. When they seem unsure WTF I am talking about I have to ask them their street and cross-street to be sure.
That's sad...it's not rocket science. LOL.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:59 PM

3,766 posts, read 1,842,835 times
Admittedly, the St Louis metro area is not easy to figure out, especially for newcomers. It's extremely fragmented, with hundreds of different divisions and boundaries that overlap one another. In St Louis County alone, there are something like 92 municipalities. Add in all of the fire protection districts, school districts, ambulance districts, voting precincts, etc etc, and you have quite the puzzle. Consider this sort of confusion:
There are places in St Louis where one address is located in the city, while the address next door is in the county. The people living at those two addresses send their children to different school districts, and their individual portions of the same street are maintained separately-- yet, they may both be in the same zip code and share the same MO state representative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis