Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:51 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what roads leveraged the autumn season best for leaf peepers around the greater St. Louis metro. I have to confess to have left the city a grand total of about 4 times in 5 months, and still don't know my way around solidly yet, certainly not enough to know where a good, semi-rural drive is, within say 2 hours of the city.

Any suggestions? (Rep points to be earned!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 01:07 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I'd head down south along 44. The Onondaga Cave State Park area is gorgeous!

Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 PM

396 posts, read 653,094 times
Route 3 in Illinois, Alton to Grafton or highway 100 between Washington and Herrmann in Missouri.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:27 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
Any of the roads out around RockwoodsReservation in Wildwood would be nice. And I agree with Old Trafford--- the Great River Road will be beautiful, too.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:49 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times
Great suggestions. My personal favorite is the to loop out 40/64 to 94 south to 47 and cross the Missouri in Washington then continue south to 44 and back to town. It's also quite hilly with lots of winding curves if you happen to have sports car or motorcycle.

Round trip is probably 1.5 hrs. Unless you stop at the wineries.

It's also a gorgeous drive out hw 30 to Cedar Hill area. The topography and foliage are quite different out there. Be sure to hit up Byrnes Mill, W, Hillsboro rd, Antire rd, etc. Grab a map or GPS and go explore. It truly is a whole 'nother world over there.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I just read that the weather conditions for producing optimum fall colors were lacking this year in our area. Apparently, there was insufficient rainfall in August and September to bring out the most vivid reds and oranges. So the color palatte we ended up with is not as breathtaking as it could have been. I'm riding in a vehicle on Route 3 in Illinois at this very moment, and I'm seeing this firsthand. The colors are somewhat subdued this year.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:43 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I just read that the weather conditions for producing optimum fall colors were lacking this year in our area. Apparently, there was insufficient rainfall in August and September to bring out the most vivid reds and oranges. So the color palatte we ended up with is not as breathtaking as it could have been. I'm riding in a vehicle on Route 3 in Illinois at this very moment, and I'm seeing this firsthand. The colors are somewhat subdued this year.
GreatCity, if you're on route three, ditch the cell and take in the scenery. The bends of the river, combined with the cliffs, and the occasional red/yellow trees are absolutely gorgeous. The wife, baby, and I went up there for a cruise to Pere Marquette State Park today for a little lunch and scenic driving.

When i'm on the motorcycle, I love Wildwood! Personally, i don't think there are any better roads in the St. Louis area. Rte 100 is nice, and gets a tad curvy as move past Rt 109 and it goes back to 2 lanes...I'd avoid I-44 etc simply because even though it passes through some gorgeous topography, you really lose a true sense of the grandeur because of the interstate. Mo-94 is a great way to get down to Washington, MO or back from it. One of my favorite routes out that way though is:

Wild Horse Creek -> West of Eartherton Rd -> Right on St. Albans Rd (State Hwy T) -> Either go to Labadie, MO (stop at Hawthorne Inn or Three Brothers for lunch...or the ice cream/sandwich shop across the street). You can then either continue further West along Hwy T, and take that to Old Hwy 100, riding Old 100 Northwest into Washington. Then coming back up Hwy 94 into St. Charles. Or, leaving Labadie turn left on Rte MM and head towards Gray Summit, then use Hwy 100 to head back East towards St. Louis.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 PM

^Actually, we were on Route 3 south of St Louis in Monroe and Randolph Counties. Not much fall color down there-- must be a lot better further north.

I've always enjoyed the drive on I-44 between Fenton amd Eureka.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:45 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Ah gotcha. Have never explored that far south on Rte 3...at some point, i'll have to make a point to do so. Colors were "ok" further North. Not the best I've seen, but in all honesty the trees that weren't red/yellow/brown were still green...which makes me think there's still some time to see some fall foliage during the next month or so.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:07 PM

Doubt that you'll see many bright colors in November. In this area, most trees reach their peak in October, and that's pretty standard every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis