Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times

Advertisements

I never been to St Louis, but I have mildly considered it as a place to move due to cost of living, lesser people moving there in droves and many things to do and it really seems like you have a historic city with a decent beer scene and appears to have an underrated outdoors scene too.

Is St Louis a racially segregated city? My guess would be yes, but I figured I would ask some of the locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Simple answer? Yes. Most rustbelt cities are segregated -- often more because of historic settling patterns and red-lining of previous generations than current racial attitudes.

That said, for those of whom diversity is a priority, it can be had in several city neighborhoods.

Frankly, what St. Louis lacks is a strong and vibrant black middle class. I would love to see more of that in the coming decades, but for now, it seems, they're all moving to Atlanta!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:48 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Frankly, what St. Louis lacks is a strong and vibrant black middle class. I would love to see more of that in the coming decades, but for now, it seems, they're all moving to Atlanta!
Mostly because Atlanta has been described as the "black mecca" for the last decade or so.

To the OP, Yes St. Louis is segregated. And despite popular opinion, i think there's normally some underlying resentment different cultures, at least amongst locals. There are some very "diverse" areas inside St. Louis City, but they tend to be diverse because of an influx of one ethnic group or another, not necessarily a conglomeration of different ethnic groups all living in harmony.

As to an African American middle class, there is a pretty strong African American presence in St. Louis. Many AA white collar workers, managers, executives, etc live in nice neighborhoods in North County, specifically Florissant. Most of these individuals are living the same suburban lifestyle their white counterparts are doing, working 9-5, spending their money on their mortgage, flat screen tv, two cars, and their child's college education.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Mostly because Atlanta has been described as the "black mecca" for the last decade or so.

To the OP, Yes St. Louis is segregated. And despite popular opinion, i think there's normally some underlying resentment different cultures, at least amongst locals. There are some very "diverse" areas inside St. Louis City, but they tend to be diverse because of an influx of one ethnic group or another, not necessarily a conglomeration of different ethnic groups all living in harmony.

As to an African American middle class, there is a pretty strong African American presence in St. Louis. Many AA white collar workers, managers, executives, etc live in nice neighborhoods in North County, specifically Florissant. Most of these individuals are living the same suburban lifestyle their white counterparts are doing, working 9-5, spending their money on their mortgage, flat screen tv, two cars, and their child's college education.
Yea I never pictured St Louis as a place where people willingly accept diversity. If it happened it did kinda thing, but people probably don't want it deep down even in the supposed most diverse areas there. Its probably just people passing eachother in neighborhoods, but nothing more.

The one good thing that seems to me about a thriving black middle class that is strong is that crime would be down and whites get to preserve their sections of town as well and its more than likely less to do with Affirmative Action how they got to where they did. But does anyone notice these areas are fewer and farther between in America? Atlanta and DC I think are the main 2 and that also seems to be why the hard working blacks pick those places to be.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:47 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I never been to St Louis, but I have mildly considered it as a place to move due to cost of living, lesser people moving there in droves and many things to do and it really seems like you have a historic city with a decent beer scene and appears to have an underrated outdoors scene too.

Is St Louis a racially segregated city? My guess would be yes, but I figured I would ask some of the locals.
I just moved here from the Sacramento area if you have any questions. Been here about 3 months and it's pretty great! I think every city has its difficulties - but over ally it seems people are nicer here than in California. gas is cheaper here; food is about the same; utilities are more because of the weather extremes; housing depends on where in sac you were living and where you want to be in the metro.

What type of field are you in? I don't want to assume you're a Dr.; but BJC is huge out here and has some great jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis