U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-31-2011, 09:04 PM

8 posts, read 6,060 times
Default Is St. Louis a Football Town?

I have never been to St. Louis, but I have always known it to be a great sports town. It seems that the Cardinals have always been a great draw, and the Blues seem to have gotten pretty good support there over the years as well.

My question is, what about the NFL? What NFL team do people from St. Louis generally support, and how relevant are they in the areas sports landscape?

Do people, even the older generations, generally embrace the Rams?

Do many there still support the (NFL) Cardinals?

Or, are there a lot of people who support other teams, such as the Chiefs, Bears, Colts, etc.?

In most older cities, such as Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc., it's no question who the majority from those places allegiances are with, but given St. Louis' unique football history, I am curious.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,713 posts, read 1,920,064 times
Umm...we have a football team, you know. It's called the Rams. And the answer is, yes we are a football town...when the Rams are winning. I don't know too many Chiefs, Bears, or Colts fans. I know a lot of Packers fans.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 PM

I didn't mean to insult your city. I was just curious if the people of St. Louis have taken to a team that has only been there since 1995.

The impression I get is that not many cared when the Cardinals left for Arizona in 1988. Who did people there support when St. Louis did not have a team?

In most older, blue collar, sports crazed cities like St. Louis, fandom is passed down from generation to generation, but St. Louis has not had an NFL team that has been there for generations. That's why I always figured that people there took to other teams from near by cities, such as the Bears, Chiefs, etc.

America loves football, and I doubt Greater St. Louis is any acception. That's the basis of my question

Old 10-31-2011, 09:49 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,904,258 times
The Rams are very popular when they are doing well or even just ok. People love to mock them when they are doing really bad (this year). I don't think any other NFL team has much of a precense in Stl and definitely not the Bears or Chiefs.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 PM

1,568 posts, read 570,189 times
Every other St. Louis team will seem like an underachiever after this year's Cardinals season. That's a problem most cities would like to have!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
Every other St. Louis team will seem like an underachiever after this year's Cardinals season. That's a problem most cities would like to have!
Being a Redwings fan, I know all about that. During the 1990s and early 2000s the Redwings were the only good team in town, and as a result, people were hockey crazy there. Despite all of that, the Lions were always still pretty popular, despite all of the frustration. The Tigers and especially the Pistons were an afterthought during those years, however.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 AM

2,840 posts, read 2,605,831 times
During the years following the cardinals departure I always liked the Chiefs but I was a kid back then. I can remember how excited we were when we first got Pro football back again, and I loved going to some of those early games at old busch stadium!!!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,820,187 times
I was only 10 when the Rams moved here (and I don't really at all remember the Cardinals leaving) and my family was pretty into it. My uncle bought a PSL and still has season tickets. In the Kurt Warner years, this town was in love with the team -- there was some definite letter-painting-on-the-chest happening in my house lol.

But I think that it's fair to say that because of their lack of history in St. Louis, folks are less forgiving of bad times. I've been to some embarassingly empty games at the dome in the last couple years. But even the teams with the oldest of traditions and best of fans have struggled. Folks in Kansas City (where I'm living right now) love the Chiefs with all their hearts, but attendance has been pretty rotten during their lean years.

Even last year when they were finally doing well, they still stuggled to fill up the upper rim of the stadium -- their ticket prices were just too high for an unproven team. I remember reading that, when adjusted for cost of living, Chiefs tickets were the highest in the country.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:34 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,231,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINGS-97 View Post
I have never been to St. Louis, but I have always known it to be a great sports town. It seems that the Cardinals have always been a great draw, and the Blues seem to have gotten pretty good support there over the years as well.

My question is, what about the NFL? What NFL team do people from St. Louis generally support, and how relevant are they in the areas sports landscape?

Do people, even the older generations, generally embrace the Rams?

Do many there still support the (NFL) Cardinals?

Or, are there a lot of people who support other teams, such as the Chiefs, Bears, Colts, etc.?

In most older cities, such as Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc., it's no question who the majority from those places allegiances are with, but given St. Louis' unique football history, I am curious.
In my personal opinion, St. Louis is a baseball town. We are somewhat of a bandwagon football town, although I will say the support for the football cardinals was quite strong despite it being a terrible franchise for the most part.

You also have a smaller but very intense fanbase that follows the Blues.

But baseball is king.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:04 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,872,774 times
^I'd have to agree. Cardianals are king but the Rams and Blues have very strong, yet smaller, followings.

Keep in mind that Cardinal Nation covers most of the midwest. From Iowa to Tennesse to Oklahoma. KMOX country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis