U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 5,132 times
@aragx6. Thank you for the St. Louis Lacrosse link. Excellent resource!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 11:40 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,820,187 times
As long as you're less hung up on the new construction thing as it seems, I would look closely at Webster Groves, Kirkwood, and Clayton. All three are welcoming, inclusive, have great schools and beautiful homes. Clayton is certainly the most expensive of the three. I think you and your family could be very happy in those areas, and please continue to ask any and all questions you might have: We're all truly happy to help!!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:25 PM

2,840 posts, read 2,605,831 times
Also, if budget isn't an issue...and i mean, really not an issue. You can even find some newer homes in Clayton, or find a $150,000 lot in University City w/ a tear down...I can think of one on the market right now that i've seen in searches for months and months. They advertise it as a rehabbers delight, and was previously advertised as needing a "total rehab, or tear down"...Bulldozing it, and putting up a $300k home and you'd probably be in the $450,000 ballpark which many homes in that area will command anyway.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:16 PM

186 posts, read 123,714 times
Umm, may I suggest the city?! Lots of mature nightlife, amazing architecture, friendly neighborhoods, and Metro HS is the best high school in the state... and a school in the St. Louis Public School system!

Old 11-10-2011, 03:18 PM

186 posts, read 123,714 times
...btw, I'm a former STL resident (Shaw, Fox Park, Boulevard Hgts. and St. Louis Hills neighborhoods).

Old 11-10-2011, 08:10 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,040,148 times
Important detail you left out: Metro is a magnet school, both selective and subject to the school lottery. It's not like you just move into a neighborhood and enroll.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 PM

2,840 posts, read 2,605,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
and Metro HS is the best high school in the state... and a school in the St. Louis Public School system!
Is it the best high school in the state? The Best public high school in the state? Or the best public high school in the state the was ranked because they checked all the boxes required for whichever particular ranking system named them the best?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,820,187 times
^Metro consistently has the highest or some of the highest MAP scores in the state.

Obviously, that's easier to do when you get to select the cream of the crop students, but, if you can get your kid in, Metro can provide a fantastic education.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:06 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,872,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Also, if budget isn't an issue...and i mean, really not an issue. You can even find some newer homes in Clayton, or find a $150,000 lot in University City w/ a tear down...I can think of one on the market right now that i've seen in searches for months and months. They advertise it as a rehabbers delight, and was previously advertised as needing a "total rehab, or tear down"...Bulldozing it, and putting up a $300k home and you'd probably be in the $450,000 ballpark which many homes in that area will command anyway.
FYI - With tear downs, the typical ratio is to build a home 3x the price of the lot. So in your scenario - $150 acquisition cost, $20k to tear down, and then another $450k-$500k on new improvements.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:35 AM

4 posts, read 2,926 times
Beer geeks. Love it! And St. Louis is a wonderful town for beer geeks. I live in the City, so most of the places I know will be in the City. But it's generally an easy drive from just about anywhere. Check out: Tin Can on Morganford just south of Tower Grove Park. They have a HUGE selection of canned beer and good pork-steak sandwiches. Shlafly Brew Houses in Maplewood and in mid-town are excellent and have good food, too. Square One microbrewery on Park in the Lafayette Square area is good and has a lovely patio for warm-weather quaffing. Urban Chestnut on Washington is worth a visit. In June, there's a microbrew festival on the parking lot of the Muny Opera in Forest Park--that's a great place to check out all kinds of beer and craft soda. Welcome to St. Louis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis