Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:22 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,277,821 times

Advertisements

I'm somewhat new to the area (moved here in August). The wife and I are going out this weekend to celebrate our anniversary and her birthday. We have not decided for sure what we are going to do. One of our options is to head to one of the entertainment districts (i.e. the Loop, Lacledes Landing, etc.) and just bar hop. I'm open to suggestions on areas where we can park our car and walk around to several different establishments. We like to listen to live bands, just sit and have a drink, or even sing a little karaoke. Other than the two mentioned above what are some other areas that fit the bill? And then any information on types of establishments would be great as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 04:58 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times
I'm not sure about specific establishments, but the Central West End, Washington Avenue, and even downtown Maplewood would fit the bill.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:59 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
The Loop, Washington Avenue, Central West End, Morganford Strip, and Soulard. Are you looking for more casual or nicer places?

Old 11-14-2011, 05:11 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times
The biggest entertainment districts are definately Washington Ave/Lacledes Landing, Main Street St. Charles, Soulard, CWE, the loop, South Grand, Westport and downtown Clayton. My favorites being Clayton, CWE, Wash Ave, and Soulard.

Honorable mention - Morganford, downtown Kirkwood, downtown Webster, Cherokee St.

I can go into detail at later time.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
The Loop, Washington Avenue, Central West End, Morganford Strip, and Soulard. Are you looking for more casual or nicer places?
More casual. We will probably eat before hand unless one of the areas has a highly recommended eating establishment.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:27 PM

Soulard is my favorite casual area to hang out, International Tap House would be a good place to start, especially if your a beer person. Llewellyns is across the street from I-Tap, you can then wonder down to Mollys, or 1860s Saloon. You can also start at McGurks, then wonder to Hammerstones, Joanies, etc. McGurks is a very popular restaurant and would be a good place to grab a casual dinner.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:05 PM

589 posts, read 1,106,565 times
I agree with the nomination of Soulard! It is a great place to hang out and has plenty of restuarants and bars / pubs. McGurks is great, but I would also suggest Tuckers just around the corner for its' steaks. Chavas is a well liked Mexican restaurant in the area. I am not really sure which offer karaoke .. but I know that some due feature live bands from time to time. Perhaps the Riverfront Times can alert you to which may have what band, or even Karaoke?

Since you are new to the area, I would take one second to remind you to pack your street smarts with you when you go to any entertainment disctrict. These can often be target areas. Be sure to hide all valuables in the car, and be alert while on foot in the dark. I hope you have a wonderful anniversary!

Old 11-15-2011, 06:19 PM

^I've heard great things about Tuckers, and Chavas is my go to Mexican place, love it.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
I agree with the nomination of Soulard! It is a great place to hang out and has plenty of restuarants and bars / pubs. McGurks is great, but I would also suggest Tuckers just around the corner for its' steaks. Chavas is a well liked Mexican restaurant in the area. I am not really sure which offer karaoke .. but I know that some due feature live bands from time to time. Perhaps the Riverfront Times can alert you to which may have what band, or even Karaoke?

Since you are new to the area, I would take one second to remind you to pack your street smarts with you when you go to any entertainment disctrict. These can often be target areas. Be sure to hide all valuables in the car, and be alert while on foot in the dark. I hope you have a wonderful anniversary!
A few questions: Sorry to sound completely naive, but when you say "pack your street smarts" exactly how much do I have to worry? I've never been to the Soulard area, but in the entertainment districts I'm used to (Phoenix, Denver), there is so much foot traffic that muggings or the like are pretty much of no concern at all.

Secondly I posted this same question on another site and someone suggested Main Street St. Charles. What are some of the differences between Soulard, Lacledes Landing, The Loop, and Main Street St. Charles?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:40 PM

I have been running around Soulard for years and haven't had a care in the world. I think that means don't walk down a dark alley at 2 in the morning. In my opinion, Main Street St Charles is for the older crowd or Lindenwood College students, not somewhere I would hang out. Soulard has a good mixture of everyone, lots of bars and restaurants, good music. Lacledes Landing is more of a frat/bachelorette party scene. Lots of clubbers, tourists, etc. The Loop is also a good mixture of everyone, lots of students because of its proximity to Wash U/UMSL. Lots of coffee houses, bars, restaurants, etc. The Central West end is my favorite "nicer" place to hang out. Very trendy, nice restaurants and bars, higher end boutiques. Out of the four you named above, for a night out, I would choose in this order: Soulard, The Loop, The Landing, Main Street. I would choose the Central West End and Washington Avenue before the last three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis