Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,539 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are trying to decide where to move but don't know much about the areas we are considering. We currently have a small house in tower grove east. I work north of the airport (30 minutes in the morning, more like 45 back) and my wife in the CWE (10 mins). We have a 1 year old and would like to move somewhere with a great school district and better commute for me. We've focused on Clayton, Brentwood and Ladue but we're finding that we can get more bang for our buck out in Creve Coeur, Sunset Hills or Kirkwood. We don't want to move any further west than 270, so no Chesterfield/St. Charles. Can anyone tell me what a commute is like going north on 270 in the morning (7AM), south in the evening (4PM)? Or Lindbergh north (AM) then south (PM)? I-44 going into the city?

Any other recommendations (based on our jobs and desire for good schools) where we should be looking?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 PM

321 posts, read 1,003,851 times
I used to work near the airport (near the 70/170 intersection) and had tested going north on Lindbergh to 70 east (in the morning) versus using taking Olive to I-170 north and I always found using Olive to I-170 was faster and less hectic. My wife was a teacher who took 270 north every morning and it was fine for her, but she was going even earlier than your 7am time, so that might not be indicative of your commute. Plus this was over 10 years ago so traffic may have changed in the past decade.

The obvious best location for you is right smack in the middle of St. Louis County where, as you mention, things are most expensive (Clayton, Brentwood. Ladue schools.) We have, in fact, moved back here to mid-county where homes cost quite a bit more than when we lived further northwest. That was our preference to put our child in a great school and to be nearer everything (including my own commute), but I can definitely understand your wanting to get more "bang for the buck." Olivette actually gives you pretty good "bang for the back" in Ladue Schools and gives both of you a fairly decent commute (straight up 170 for you, 170 to FPP or 40 for your wife) as long as you do not mind the older brick homes there.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
I was actually going to suggest Olivette also for Ladue Schools. Creve Coeur is great, lived there for a bit and liked it, and puts you in Parkway school district.

There tends to be some traffic on I-270 Northbound in the mornings, which won't be much fun for your commute. Your wife's commute may be ok heading down to the CWE, however I-64 can backup along that route, especially when the sun starts popping over the horizon...

The further South you go, the longer you'll typically be on I-270, and the worse the commute will be...traffic seems to back up south of I-64, actually, south around Dourghty Ferry and further South, and I believe it starts backing up again around I-70 for a tad bit further North. If you were near Lindbergh and far enough North, that could always be an option to avoid a ton of the traffic, and having a few solid "surface street" options is always nice to have.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
I-44 headed east into the city is a breeze in the morning. I take it everyday to downtown, even though I live slightly closer to 40. I'm able to go over the speed limit the entire way. I've also headed to clients out by the airport or in St Charles, and taking 170N isn't terrible either.

Might I suggest Rock Hill (Webster Groves SD) as a cheaper alternative to Brentwood? The difference in price was significant enough when we bought over 3 years ago, when we chose it over Brentwood and Webster Groves.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
270 traffic (N in the morning and S in the evening, just as you'll be doing) is definitely nothing to scoff at. Traffic in St. Louis as a whole isn't too bad, but 270 traffic is easily the worst in the metro (70 through St. Peters is probably 2nd worst). Limiting your time spent on it will likely keep you happier in the long run.

That said, I grew up in Rock Hill and my half and step siblings attended the schools and it's a really nice area that definitely has the bang for the buck you're looking for and is definitely worth looking at.

Olivette is another great suggestion.

Opinions on the Maplewood-Richmond Heights school district are a bit varied, but the elementary school tests very well and is considered quite good, so those areas might well be worth a look as well -- even if you didn't find the middle school to be quite up to par (though a quick look at their MAP scores shows them to be performing well), you have 9 years to figure that out. You'd stay closer to the city, have easy access to the inner belt, and the value is very good. Definitely worth thinking about.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
Or you could stay in the city. That's where you get the most bang for your buck. And you could use the savings on the home and taxes to put toward private school. You typically get a better education at the private schools anyway. That's what some of my friends are doing. Might not work for you.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Do you really think the best bang for your buck is in the city? There are some good deals to be had, but often their on non-renovated homes...and they typically NEED a renovation. The ones that have already been rehabbed typically sell for a decent price, say $200k-300k for an average 3 bd rm. City Square footage is good, but lot size is often pretty small plus you add on the price of private school...and while you're saving ... what, maybe a $1000/yr in a taxes, you're making up for it with $500/month in private grade schools, and almost $1000/month in private high schools...and that's using today's dollar, not the one in 9 years.

Those prices were assuming some of the more desirable neighborhoods that I was thinking of, and not the small homes on the Hill...

Old 12-02-2011, 08:03 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
I don't think you're comparing apples to apples.

All i'm saying is that if people want to be in certainly location, there are usually ways to make it work.

Last edited by moorlander; 12-02-2011 at 08:11 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Might just be thinking of homes I like in the city. I'm sure you could do cheaper, but i don't think my question is invalid...I was just asking for your opinion.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
^And there are also ways to avoid private schools. Some of my neighbors send their kids to Kenard and Mallingkrodt, both excellent schools. There are also very good charter options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis