Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3240Redo View Post
But of course we're a sad people - what is the arch but a big old frown? What is the Mississippi but a gush of great muddy tears? What are our Cardinals hats but the crimson flush of disappointment and broken dreams?

But seriously, if people are looking for the saddest place on earth, I recommend southeast Missouri. I've been gone for 21 years and it's still not enough time to be philosophical about the place. Other people love it, though.

I love it here. Some folks won't. I don't need statistics to tell me what I already believe.
I'm one of the people who happen to enjoy Southeast Missouri (I'm from there). It just isn't for everyone.

As for St. Louis being a sad place to live, this study and all studies like it are based on factors that have little to do with actual happiness. I highly doubt St. Louis is a sad place to live, but I guess I wouldn't know because I've only been in St. Louis City 3 or 4 times in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:03 PM

272 posts, read 786,607 times
Born and raised in St. Louis, I've lived in many cities in the US and around the world. Each is different with different appeal. Any big city is exciting if you are young or rich, but if you want to raise a family and have a nice work-family balance, then you could do much worse than the St. Louis area.

STL is getting some bad press these days, and I'm not sure why. It's improved since I left there in 1988 and gets better every year I visit. It's not dying like Detroit, and outsiders don't understand the whole county-city divide. Yes the city has lost 1/2 its population since 1970 and is a fiscal wreck, but the County is doing fine as are JeffCo and STC County. You've got to take the area as a whole and ignore political boundaries - and that's too much thought for recent j-school graduates these days.

If you are recruiting young, single people, STL might be a hard sell (might - I'm too old to know much about that) but if you are recruiting family types - especially those in the medical field (the hospitals in the CWE are some of the country's best) - then the area is a smorgasbord of excellent schools and great places to live.

If "credible sources" don't understand that, that's their problem.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
Yes, St. Louis is a SAD city: Sexy, Amazing and Dynamic... SAD!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:47 AM

37 posts, read 62,372 times
This doesn't surprise me one bit. Most people from around here are so rude and mean, no wonder we rank high on the sad list. I think alot of folks are just sad deep down!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I find St. Louisans quite friendly.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
As do I, arag. I've said to family and friends, this is about most civil bunch I've ever been around.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 AM

37 posts, read 62,372 times
Quote:

Yes, I have lived in alot of places besides here. That's why I said what I said because I gave a real valid opinion based on my experiences in many other cities across the U.S.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Me too. And I've traveled all over the South, where people are supposedly very friendly. Yeah, Southerners are more talkative, but St. Louisans have been just as friendly in my experience.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM

329 posts, read 512,017 times
Are you talking about the city of St. Louis itself or the metropolitan area?

I was born and raised in Ballwin and haven't lived there since 2001 but whenever anybody asks me where I am from I say St. Louis. The city itself is but a small portion of the overall area.

Overall, I like STL and the area. It's my hometown and it's where my roots are.

One of my only gripes is that I was unable to make a career in my field in STL.

Oh and how I miss IMOs pizza!

Old 12-11-2011, 02:48 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepVeteran View Post
This doesn't surprise me one bit. Most people from around here are so rude and mean, no wonder we rank high on the sad list. I think alot of folks are just sad deep down!
While I don't agree with this blanket statement, I can see how people might think that St. Louisans can be rude. I've definitely experienced the cold shoulder from natives when I tell them I'm not from here, but it's not like everybody does that. It is noticeable, however. But I've met quite a few more natives who are genuinely friendly and happy to have transplants here who like it so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis