U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:42 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,907,430 times
Yeah no use flipping out over it...the Cards will still be a dominant team. And he's the AL so we never have to play against him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Status: "there are no kings inside the gates of Eden" (set 5 days ago)

9,662 posts, read 7,118,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
I'm sorry, but I'd rather buy you a beer at the next game then clap for this clown. Good luck to him...hopefully this means some young kid get's called up from Springfield and can play in the majors and fulfill his dream...
...and make millions of dollars and be hated for it later on.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 PM

140 posts, read 127,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR
I'm dissappointed, yet relieved at the same time. If the Cardinals signed him it would have tied their hands for the next 10 years.

I appreciate all he did for the team and all of the enjoyment I had watching him play. We'll never have another quite like him. I wish him well, but the Cardinals have always been bigger than any one player, even the great Albert Pujols.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
And this way, the Man stays the greatest Cardinal of all time FOR ALL TIME!
^^Agreed!

I am so glad we won't be saddled with that monster contract for the next 10 years! And if I've read things correctly, the Angels gave him the no-trade clause he wanted, so they're stuck with him if he doesn't want to go somewhere else a few years from now! Ugh!

Someone posted earlier about how baseball today is quite different that in decades past, in regards to traditions, loyalty, etc. That is so true! I had hoped AP would be different than 99% of today's players, but nope, he's just like the rest of them. So now he's just another opposing player, whom I hope we beat the next time we play the Angels.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:40 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,713 posts, read 1,924,859 times
I still would not count the Cardinals out of a world series victory. Pujols this year was but a small element of the Cardinals. David Freese, Allen Craig, Skip Schumacher, Matt Holliday, Lance Berkman, Yadier Molina, and potentially Jimmy Rollins if we get him is still enough to cushion the impact of Pujols' departure. As far as finding a player as good as him to take his place, that's going to be quite tough. Assuming Mike Matheny can manage this ballclub and that the return of Adam Wainwright helps our pitching, the Cardinals can still have a great shot at the World Series. Unlike the Cavs, who basically relied on Lebron for oxygen, the Cardinals have a whole arsenal of good players.

Now...having said all that, I am very upset at the loss of Pujols. He was the jewel in the Cardinals' crown, and without him the Cardinals will just not be nearly as exciting to watch. I haven't been this upset by a player's departure from STL since Wayne Gretzky and Brett Hull left us. The last 15 years of Cards baseball have been amazing. Pujols and McGwire made the Cardinals a thrill to watch. The Cardinals not winning a World Series I think will have little to do with National League teams...the Angels now represent a huge challenge.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:08 AM

956 posts, read 734,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
If I was presented with 2 job offers.

1.)One in which is just a raise, but the company doesn't think they have to compete with other companies offers because I worked for them for 10 years, and it's my hometown(AKA Hometown Discount), even though I had some OUTSTANDING Results. Oh and if I stay I'm going to have a new unproven boss, who has never managed.

2.)The other company is offering MORE money, it is in a "prettier" place, I would have decent support around me.

Seriously who would turn down a job offer that pays more? Forget location.
On this planet Money Talks...

In Cleveland they expected Lebron to stay and continue to carry their team. They whined when he left because they knew their team sucked without him.
The Cardinals will still at least compete without Albert.
I completely disagree. Let's put this in basic terms as if you were an attorney and making decent money:

Currently, your current firm offers you $400K a year guaranteed for 10 years. You love the firm and they love your work. You have an awesome rapport with your clients (the fans). You are active in the community and your wife grew up 4 hrs down the road. You went to HS in the region as well. A new boss is coming in, but you're so well respected that you will have a lot of input and you know all of your fellow employees, staff, etc. There is mutual respect and strong friendships.

Your other option is to move for what amounts to a 10-15% raise (net of tax increases), so you'll be making $440K to 460K per year. The extra money won't change your lifestyle one bit. You've never worked for this company, but they seem nice, however, you never know. Your new clients don't know you, so if you don't produce immediately, you could have some problems. The firm seems like it might have a slighly better team in place, so there would probably be a bigger spotlight on your work. You will also live in southern California, which is both good (sunny, etc.) and bad (more pressure, traffic, all the difficulties that come with big urban life).

The question is: if you're happy where you are and you don't need the money, is that 10-15% worth the risk to make a change? You might be happier than you were at your old job or you might be miserable. You know you're happy where you are. The money isn't going to help your retirement situation or change your lifestyle. Is it worth it?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 AM

37 posts, read 31,052 times
All I got to say is over-rated and undeserving for that much money for that long. Give a chance to another guy who wants to play real hard and make some okay money (for MLB players starting out).

Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,907,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I still would not count the Cardinals out of a world series victory. Pujols this year was but a small element of the Cardinals. David Freese, Allen Craig, Skip Schumacher, Matt Holliday, Lance Berkman, Yadier Molina, and potentially Jimmy Rollins if we get him is still enough to cushion the impact of Pujols' departure. As far as finding a player as good as him to take his place, that's going to be quite tough. Assuming Mike Matheny can manage this ballclub and that the return of Adam Wainwright helps our pitching, the Cardinals can still have a great shot at the World Series. Unlike the Cavs, who basically relied on Lebron for oxygen, the Cardinals have a whole arsenal of good players.

Now...having said all that, I am very upset at the loss of Pujols. He was the jewel in the Cardinals' crown, and without him the Cardinals will just not be nearly as exciting to watch. I haven't been this upset by a player's departure from STL since Wayne Gretzky and Brett Hull left us. The last 15 years of Cards baseball have been amazing. Pujols and McGwire made the Cardinals a thrill to watch. The Cardinals not winning a World Series I think will have little to do with National League teams...the Angels now represent a huge challenge.
I agree with this and I like how you mentioned Brett Hull because that was also a huge deal. But it's important to note the best Blues teams in franchise history, including the Presidents Trophy team of 99-00, were in the Post-Brett Hull era. Hockey is a much different sport, but the comparison is the same when you think about how the Blues were able to bring in a lot of young talent in the late 90's as a result of him leaving. The Cards are in a great position to do the same.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,842,434 times
Quote:

That was a sad day!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:24 AM

956 posts, read 734,411 times
Quote:
Let's be honest here: the Cardinals WS title this year was due to two things: pitching coming together at the right moment and a few strokes of luck. On paper, even with the pitching being what it was, they had no business beating the Phillies and the Rangers and the Milwaukee series was probably a 50-50 proposition. It's hard to catch lightning in a bottle in two successive years.

The good news for the Cards is that one player isn't the difference maker he is in a sport like basketball. Assuming no upgrades, they could actually improve their record a bit next year. Maybe 93-94 wins, which would get them the third of fourth NL playoff spot. A lot of things need to fall into place for that to happen though:

-Craig needs to come back on schedule.
-Wainright needs to return to 90% of his original form. He'll be on a tighter leash for the next year to keep his pitches down for year one post-TJ surgery.
-Carpenter needs to hold up.
-Freese needs to stay reasonably healthy.
-The older core players (Holliday and Berkman) can't fall off a cliff.
-They need to find a suitable replacement for Furcal or hope Theriot can perfom a bit better.

The cumulative odds of everything breaking their way is probably 5 to 10%. If a couple of them don't, they're probably an 88 or 89 win team. To have good odds of make the postseason, they really need to upgrade their middle infield and hope 4 out of 6 from the list above break their way.

The one good thing out of all of this is that they have greatly reduced the odds of the franchise struggling through 2 or 3 year runs of 70 win seasons when Pujols is 38 to 41 on the back end of this deal.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 AM

506 posts, read 483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'm dissappointed, yet relieved at the same time. If the Cardinals signed him it would have tied their hands for the next 10 years.

I appreciate all he did for the team and all of the enjoyment I had watching him play. We'll never have another quite like him. I wish him well, but the Cardinals have always been bigger than any one player, even the great Albert Pujols.
Good post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Another example of the modern-era of Sports...no longer about rich traditions, legacies, loyalty...all about the greenback. I feel sorry for all the little kids running around school today pissed off because their idol sold out. Welcome to Real World tiger...stop looking to idolize over paid athletes...pick your head up and focus on the adult in front of you, your underpaid Teacher...someone who truly is a hero.
If this helps Pujols give more to charitable causes down the road, I'll actually think better of him. If not, business is business.
Quote:
Eh, I don't really find sluggers that interesting to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
The question is: if you're happy where you are and you don't need the money, is that 10-15% worth the risk to make a change? You might be happier than you were at your old job or you might be miserable. You know you're happy where you are. The money isn't going to help your retirement situation or change your lifestyle. Is it worth it?
I agree with you, but I'm glad that Pujols doesn't. We have a lot more flexibility now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis