U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 AM

216 posts, read 540,275 times

Advertisements

That is good to know... I am not from here, so the very fact that they beef up the security so much (you can see them rolling in around 3) is a bit unusual to me. There must be a reason they do this? But I guess it serves it's purpose if people feel it's safe. I read that once they added the Metro stop the number of crimes increased exponentially and that the workers didn't feel safe. That kind of freaked me out too. I just don't go after dark anymore. As for being near one of the wealthiest areas, that is totally true and there are lots of areas in Clayton and Ladue that couldn't possibly be any safer. But, like any major metro area..you can get into questionable areas just a few streets over from parts of both Ladue and Clayton. Also, I think you are right. If you grew up here, you are used to one level of feeling safe and if you grew up elsewhere you might not feel safe. If you grew up in other areas (thinking NYC, parts of DC, etc) it might seem very safe all over. It's all about your own individual comfort level. I think the Walmart on Hanley is a prime example. I feel very unsafe shopping there during broad daylight and have seen two arrests and one guy in the wine aisle with his hand down his pants (I had my daughter with me which made it even worse). I DO NOT feel safe there are won't be going back. Oh, also a kid was ODing on drugs in the car and his friends were too stoned to realize he wasn't breathing. My sister, a nurse, had to help until the ambulance arrived. These are things I never experienced in Columbus or Chicago. And yes, I lived in both the city and the burbs of Chicago. Again, I am sure there are people who are comfortable shopping at that Walmart, but I have decided I am not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 12:44 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,643,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoerin View Post
That is good to know... I am not from here, so the very fact that they beef up the security so much (you can see them rolling in around 3) is a bit unusual to me. There must be a reason they do this? But I guess it serves it's purpose if people feel it's safe. I read that once they added the Metro stop the number of crimes increased exponentially and that the workers didn't feel safe. That kind of freaked me out too. I just don't go after dark anymore. As for being near one of the wealthiest areas, that is totally true and there are lots of areas in Clayton and Ladue that couldn't possibly be any safer. But, like any major metro area..you can get into questionable areas just a few streets over from parts of both Ladue and Clayton. Also, I think you are right. If you grew up here, you are used to one level of feeling safe and if you grew up elsewhere you might not feel safe. If you grew up in other areas (thinking NYC, parts of DC, etc) it might seem very safe all over. It's all about your own individual comfort level. I think the Walmart on Hanley is a prime example. I feel very unsafe shopping there during broad daylight and have seen two arrests and one guy in the wine aisle with his hand down his pants (I had my daughter with me which made it even worse). I DO NOT feel safe there are won't be going back. Oh, also a kid was ODing on drugs in the car and his friends were too stoned to realize he wasn't breathing. My sister, a nurse, had to help until the ambulance arrived. These are things I never experienced in Columbus or Chicago. And yes, I lived in both the city and the burbs of Chicago. Again, I am sure there are people who are comfortable shopping at that Walmart, but I have decided I am not.
It's because the areas around the Galleria are like 1% black, so when they started seeing more black people, they freaked.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:11 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,655,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
It's because the areas around the Galleria are like 1% black, so when they started seeing more black people, they freaked.
A large chunk of the problem came from large groups of kids who were getting into fights at the Galleria. The kids were either being dropped off by parents, or were commuting in on the metrolink or bus system. They'd run into another group of kids, an argument would break out, and a fight would ensue. At some point, store workers and patrons were feeling uncomfortable with the roaming bands of teenagers who weren't buying anything, but were ensuring that no one else was buying anything either. The result was a curfew that kids 16 and under need to be monitored by adults (21 or older) after 3pm on Fridays and Saturdays...I wouldn't have much of an issue if it'd be folks under 18, but I guess we don't want to limit the children TOO much.

PS, I haven't had a great experience in ANY walmart. I normally just chalk it up to the fact that I'm shopping at Walmart, but i've met undesirable folks at every walmart from the one you mentioned, all the way out to St. Charles.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:36 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,204,227 times
One of the million reasons to never shop at Walmart

Old 12-19-2011, 07:56 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times
Most of that Galleria! Metrolink! Crime! stuff is wildly overstated. But they did, in response to complaints oh say 3 or 4 years ago, install a curfew at the Galleria.

I can't imagine ever feeling uncomfortable at the Galleria -- unless super rich white ladies at Nordstrom with their giant handbags freak you out. Ok, that one might actually be a valid concern.

There was actually a good story about this in the RFT in '08 and I was able to dig it up. It's a long article and is definitely not a "Rah, rah, everything is wonderful. Puppies and Roses!" kind of piece. It takes a hard look at what was going on.

Quote:
[Prosectutor] O'Brien declines to speculate as to why crimes are on the increase and says it's "half-assed reasoning" to blame the uptick on MetroLink. "I think that's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction," states the prosecutor. "The connotation with that theory is that MetroLink brings urban black youth into Richmond Heights to commit these crimes. That's not what I'm seeing in court. We're prosecuting blacks and whites."
Out-of-control shoplifting at the St. Louis Galleria. Violent attacks in the Delmar Loop. Is MetroLink a vehicle for crime? - Page 1 - News - St. Louis - Riverfront Times

Old 12-19-2011, 08:03 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,856,268 times
Haha, I've never heard of anyone that considers Brentwood or Richmond Heights to be a sketchy area. I've been in many, many suburban malls that have the same sort of policies that the Galleria does about teens.

I agree that the Walmart in Maplewood is nasty; I've stopped shopping at any Walmart, period.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:08 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,254,730 times
The thought of being "too scared" to go to the Galleria is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Will people ever stop being scared of their own shadow? There's a big exciting world out there and if you are too scared to go to an upscale shopping mall in a wealthy suburb in the midwest - then I really question what you aren't afraid to do.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM

648 posts, read 1,044,835 times
^ What BB said. Get out and enjoy life! If you're afraid of going alone to the Galleria in mid county STL, move to Wentzville or something.

Listen, I'm discouraged by young thugs messing up one of my favorite parts of STL: south St. Louis, but I still go there regularly. I lived in the Shaw neighborhood almost twenty years ago when I was young and single, when Shaw wasn't as safe it is now. I was aware of my surroundings and just didn't do stupid stuff, like walk around the neighborhood alone at night. I was never accosted, my car was never broken into.

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, FOLKS. Learn it.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:22 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,204,227 times
Yeah, saying the Galleria area is unsafe is absurd.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:41 PM

1,390 posts, read 1,703,875 times
Galleria is for sure safe. The arch grounds and the area around the STL side of the MLK bridge are fine, but there is some sketchiness down there, especially up around the bridge. I jog frequently at night around the arch grounds, but not too late. There are a lot of homeless people hanging out under the highways, up around the dome, and in that general vicinity but I've never had any trouble from them (because I am usually jogging probably). I wouldn't hang out down there around the bridge at night if I was fearful of homeless people and panhandlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis