U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 13,071 times

Advertisements

We've been living in Ballwin for the last 10 years and I must say I am truly suffocated here. There is no sense of community and people have an elitist attitude. I'm a hard core liberal and feel like I'm surrounded by far right wing christian semi-fundamentalists. It is literally turning me into a people hater and that is not who I want to be! Not to mention there is nowhere for my teenage sons to walk to to 'hang out', other than The Pointe, and being that my kids aren't exactly into athletics AND that they would have to cross Manslaughter Rd (haha Manchester) that is not a viable option.

I have recently fallen in love with Webster Groves and Kirkwood, and am looking to find an 'old charmer' within walking distance of either little downtown area. Problem is, I can't decide which area to focus most of my energy on. I know there has been a long standing rivalry between the two, and was wondering if anyone had some insight on which might be most suited for my family. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 06:27 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,076,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Momma View Post
We've been living in Ballwin for the last 10 years and I must say I am truly suffocated here. There is no sense of community and people have an elitist attitude. I'm a hard core liberal and feel like I'm surrounded by far right wing christian semi-fundamentalists. It is literally turning me into a people hater and that is not who I want to be! Not to mention there is nowhere for my teenage sons to walk to to 'hang out', other than The Pointe, and being that my kids aren't exactly into athletics AND that they would have to cross Manslaughter Rd (haha Manchester) that is not a viable option.

I have recently fallen in love with Webster Groves and Kirkwood, and am looking to find an 'old charmer' within walking distance of either little downtown area. Problem is, I can't decide which area to focus most of my energy on. I know there has been a long standing rivalry between the two, and was wondering if anyone had some insight on which might be most suited for my family. Any suggestions?
I have known different separate people who spent part of their lives in Kirkwood, and part in Webster...and vice versa...enjoying both happily. To answer your friendly rival part...many people move back and forth just fine without second thought to it being in one town vs the other.

Both of those areas are very family, kid friendly...also check into parts of Glendale, Oakland, next to both of them. They all blend in together. Wide range in prices all over the place.

The bigger battle isn't Kirkwood v Webster, ...that is a friendly rivalry....the bitter one is tear down McMansion people v those who want to preserve the old historic homes. That one isn't so friendly. Lots of places in their to check out, and to choose from.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:21 PM

Very true. It seems like Webster Groves doesn't really have a problem with the in-fill houses, which lends to its charm. My question tho', wasn't really about rivalry, it was about which would suit our family better. It also seems that Webster has a nicer downtown area with better stores and restaraunts. Still very curious about people's thoughts on this. Thanks for your reply, FishT.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:39 PM

366 posts, read 1,553,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Momma View Post
There is no sense of community and people have an elitist attitude. I'm a hard core liberal and feel like I'm surrounded by far right wing christian semi-fundamentalists.
Hey!!! I resemble that remark. No, seriously, I really like Ballwin (I live off Henry Road), but like you said, I try and stay away from Manchester Road even with a car. I like your name for it, mind if I borrow it? I really like living here because I feel like there is a big diversity among the people who live here. We must live in different Ballwins.

As for Kirkwood or Webster, I have to tell you, being a realtor, I see a lot of folks who want one or the other because, like you, they heard about rivalries or this and that. Though like Fishtacos said, anyone I've worked with that has lived in one or the other is always looking for a place within the two areas, so go figure. Now, for being kid friendly and where you could live to walk easily is another story. In todays day and age I would be a little more afraid to let my kids walk anywhere by themselves. I personally like Kirkwood's downtown district along Kirkwood Road better than Websters because I feel it's a more family oriented area whereas Webster has a more mature area feel. A lot of Webster's downtown is geared towards the university crowd on one end, and the other end is more upscale geared towards the expensive homes around there. A lot will have to do with the price range you're looking at too.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:46 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,076,161 times
There are sidewalks up and down Kirkwood road and off of it...and cross walks pretty frequently. If your kids are super young, they should be with an adult...if your kids are old enough to be on their own..they should be able to cross at a cross walk.

Both areas would suit your needs. I probably like some of the homes and areas of Webster a little better...but you are splitting hairs....both are in good locations...

I know several people who moved from Ballwin to both Kirkwood and Webster and are MUCH happier if that helps. No offense to Ballwin...which isn't a bad place, just different that Kirkwood and Webster.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Still suffocating in Ballwin.......

Hey Rick, I don't want to offend anyone with my comments . I just wanted to let people know what type of person I am in the hopes that will help people determine which of the two cities is most suited for me. And, yes, you of course may use my nickname for Manslaughter Rd. !

I'm just not happy in Ballwin, and not getting as much out of life as I would like. I've been thinking somewhere like KW or WG might get me out of this funk by allowing me and fam to walk and explore more. My boys are 12 and 15, and I think old enough to walk around town, with their cell phones of course. We go on vacation every year to this quaint little town in Michigan on THE lake. The town is very similar to KW or WG. For those 2 weeks my boys walk to town several times a day for ice cream, toys, treats etc. The neighboring town is a little bit rough, but my kids are very responsible so I had no problem trusting them. With the added bonus of a cell phone, it helps me not worry too much, although I know you can never be too sure. So, all this makes me believe they would be fine running around either town.

One of the things I like better about WG is the college age population. It always seems that 'college towns' are liberal and quite a bit of fun. I'm sure the little pubs around there are poppin'! Plus, I like the idea of being so close to the city, and being able to hop on the metro link for a short ride to party town (sans kiddos of course!)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or