U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 PM
 
73 posts, read 54,306 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Hello there and happy holidays!

Does anyone happen to know of any places that offer private music lessons for adults? I am interested in learning the electric violin, not as a career just as a hobby and for fun. I've always loved the electric violin, so this year I'm planning on buying an electric violin for beginners(something not so costly just so I can see if I can learn it without spending too much money) and trying to find a teacher or music place that offers lessons. I've tried searching through the internet but did not have much luck, and the phone book had let me down as well.

Any information would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2011, 12:41 PM
 
Location: St Louis, MO
2,631 posts, read 1,728,230 times
Reputation: 1754
Your best bet would be to go to one of the universities with an orchestra and get lessons from one of the students. The students are competent, generally know music pedagogy, and are very cheap. SIUE and UMSL would probably be first choice, followed by SLU and Lindenwood. Webster University has a community music program, but unfortunately no college level orchestra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 08:34 PM
 
595 posts, read 630,411 times
Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Your best bet would be to go to one of the universities with an orchestra and get lessons from one of the students. The students are competent, generally know music pedagogy, and are very cheap. SIUE and UMSL would probably be first choice, followed by SLU and Lindenwood. Webster University has a community music program, but unfortunately no college level orchestra.
Webster University has a Department of Music with two college level orchestras; a full symphony orchestra and a chamber (small) orchestra. I know because I teach violin at the WU Community Music School and play in the WU Symphony Orchestra as a faculty member.
Webster University:

To the original poster: do you know how to play violin at all? The Webster University CMS offers private lessons to any age student and the registration office will place you with the appropriate professional teacher.
Webster University: Community Music School: Music Education Programs for St. Louis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 08:35 PM
 
73 posts, read 54,306 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Your best bet would be to go to one of the universities with an orchestra and get lessons from one of the students. The students are competent, generally know music pedagogy, and are very cheap. SIUE and UMSL would probably be first choice, followed by SLU and Lindenwood. Webster University has a community music program, but unfortunately no college level orchestra.

Thanks for the tip, never even would of thought about that- sad part is I used to be one of those students! (I used to teach Clarinet a few years ago when I was in college) Thanks again, after the new year I'll get in contact with the music department to see if they know of anyone who is offering lessons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 08:49 PM
 
73 posts, read 54,306 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
Webster University has a Department of Music with two college level orchestras; a full symphony orchestra and a chamber (small) orchestra. I know because I teach violin at the WU Community Music School and play in the WU Symphony Orchestra as a faculty member.
Webster University:

To the original poster: do you know how to play violin at all? The Webster University CMS offers private lessons to any age student and the registration office will place you with the appropriate professional teacher.
Webster University: Community Music School: Music Education Programs for St. Louis
Thank You for the links, I used to play Violin when I was younger but it has been many many years, I love the electric violin but from what I was told I may have to start out with a traditional violin which is fine, especially if that helps guide me towards what I want to play (electric violin).

I would be considering private lessons, probably 30 min lessons. I'm glad to hear they offer lessons to any age, I was not sure if they had offer lessons to adults...

I'll be giving Webster a call sometime after Jan, I actually have a few questions (perhaps you can answer them?) do you traditionally have to start out with a non-electric (traditional) violin? Or could you use an electric violin to start with? I probably will not be purchasing the instrument itself till I talk to Webster or someone who might know, even though I plan on buying an electric violin (the one I'm looking at is $145 for a full kit), I still want to wait till I get more info, it would sort of stink if I bought one than found out I have to start with the traditional Violin.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 09:44 PM
 
595 posts, read 630,411 times
Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower82 View Post
Thank You for the links, I used to play Violin when I was younger but it has been many many years, I love the electric violin but from what I was told I may have to start out with a traditional violin which is fine, especially if that helps guide me towards what I want to play (electric violin).

I would be considering private lessons, probably 30 min lessons. I'm glad to hear they offer lessons to any age, I was not sure if they had offer lessons to adults...

I'll be giving Webster a call sometime after Jan, I actually have a few questions (perhaps you can answer them?) do you traditionally have to start out with a non-electric (traditional) violin? Or could you use an electric violin to start with? I probably will not be purchasing the instrument itself till I talk to Webster or someone who might know, even though I plan on buying an electric violin (the one I'm looking at is $145 for a full kit), I still want to wait till I get more info, it would sort of stink if I bought one than found out I have to start with the traditional Violin.

Thanks again!
The CMS spring semester begins January 21st, but you can begin lessons after the beginning of a semester and they can prorate the tuition.

With regards to beginning violin I would suggest starting out on an acoustic (traditional) violin because the learning curve is very high. Not trying to discourage you but the violin is about the least ergonomic instrument there is. The key, especially for adult beginners, is daily practice combined with gentle stretching exercises, to coax those adult bones and muscles into correct form to be comfortably able to play. But the violin is an amazing instrument once you can overcome the initial awkwardness.

Regarding purchasing a full violin outfit for $145: I highly discourage it. Is it an EBay "VSO," a Violin Shaped Object or something from Walmart? It will be a very poorly set up (badly fitting bridge, crappy strings, poorly fitted pegs, chunky fingerboard, horrible bow, etc.) and *very* hard to play.

I recommend renting an instrument from either Bearden Violin Shop, Parfenov Violin Shop (both in the Overland/Edmundson area) or St. Louis Strings in Dogtown. No where else because other places are renters of all sorts of marginal level bowed string instruments, as well as band instruments, guitars and drum sets.** At a shop that specializes in only bowed string instruments you'll get a quality rental that retails in the neighborhood of $600-$800. That is the price range of a decent entry level violin/bow/case *plus* you are buying the servicing of your violin outfit by people who know how to repair them.

The above information given is my frank professional opinion. I am not very familiar with electric violins but I have professional contacts to get advice on where to obtain a good instrument.

If you want more info, you can always private message me.

**Music shops that sell/rent all sorts of instruments rarely, if ever, have high quality bowed string instruments or the technicians that really know how to maintain them. Again, my professional opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 10:06 PM
 
73 posts, read 54,306 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
The CMS spring semester begins January 21st, but you can begin lessons after the beginning of a semester and they can prorate the tuition.

With regards to beginning violin I would suggest starting out on an acoustic (traditional) violin because the learning curve is very high. Not trying to discourage you but the violin is about the least ergonomic instrument there is. The key, especially for adult beginners, is daily practice combined with gentle stretching exercises, to coax those adult bones and muscles into correct form to be comfortably able to play. But the violin is an amazing instrument once you can overcome the initial awkwardness.

Regarding purchasing a full violin outfit for $145: I highly discourage it. Is it an EBay "VSO," a Violin Shaped Object or something from Walmart? It will be a very poorly set up (badly fitting bridge, crappy strings, poorly fitted pegs, chunky fingerboard, horrible bow, etc.) and *very* hard to play.

I recommend renting an instrument from either Bearden Violin Shop, Parfenov Violin Shop (both in the Overland/Edmundson area) or St. Louis Strings in Dogtown. No where else because other places are renters of all sorts of marginal level bowed string instruments, as well as band instruments, guitars and drum sets.** At a shop that specializes in only bowed string instruments you'll get a quality rental that retails in the neighborhood of $600-$800. That is the price range of a decent entry level violin/bow/case *plus* you are buying the servicing of your violin outfit by people who know how to repair them.

The above information given is my frank professional opinion. I am not very familiar with electric violins but I have professional contacts to get advice on where to obtain a good instrument.

If you want more info, you can always private message me.

**Music shops that sell/rent all sorts of instruments rarely, if ever, have high quality bowed string instruments or the technicians that really know how to maintain them. Again, my professional opinion.
Thanks for all the helpful information. The Violin I was aiming towards is on Amazon (not much better than Ebay I know lol). I do know what you mean though, traditionally it is best to purchase instruments from shops, I'll look into renting a violin first, its not a bad idea, especially to see how I enjoy it and if I can get the hang of it, etc. I definitely want to stay away from anything expensive at the moment, mostly because I will be re-learning/starting fresh, again. I don't want to end up spending $800.00 and than find out I can't get the hang of playing the violin (I barely remember how to play)

When I get closer to being able to take private lessons, I"ll give some of those shops a call to see what they recommend for beginners, I remember when I was younger I had a beginning violin, of sorts. It wasn't the best violin ever (due to price) but it was good for someone who had never played before. I might go that route again, except I think renting would be a better idea, Thanks again. Love getting the info, its definitely helpful since its been so long, the last time I've done anything music wise is when I was 19 and I'm 30 now, so its been a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 10:38 PM
 
595 posts, read 630,411 times
Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower82 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful information. The Violin I was aiming towards is on Amazon (not much better than Ebay I know lol). I do know what you mean though, traditionally it is best to purchase instruments from shops, I'll look into renting a violin first, its not a bad idea, especially to see how I enjoy it and if I can get the hang of it, etc. I definitely want to stay away from anything expensive at the moment, mostly because I will be re-learning/starting fresh, again. I don't want to end up spending $800.00 and than find out I can't get the hang of playing the violin (I barely remember how to play)

When I get closer to being able to take private lessons, I"ll give some of those shops a call to see what they recommend for beginners, I remember when I was younger I had a beginning violin, of sorts. It wasn't the best violin ever (due to price) but it was good for someone who had never played before. I might go that route again, except I think renting would be a better idea, Thanks again. Love getting the info, its definitely helpful since its been so long, the last time I've done anything music wise is when I was 19 and I'm 30 now, so its been a few years.
I just would not recommend buying a violin online at any price.

The value of the instrument that you'll get from the shops I recommended will be in the range of $600-800, just to be clear. You won't have to lay out that kind of $$.

Glad I could help. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 10:44 AM
 
Location: St Louis, MO
2,631 posts, read 1,728,230 times
Reputation: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
Webster University has a Department of Music with two college level orchestras; a full symphony orchestra and a chamber (small) orchestra. I know because I teach violin at the WU Community Music School and play in the WU Symphony Orchestra as a faculty member.
Webster University:
Never knew that. Thank you for the correction!

Is it a very large student orchestra? I have never met anyone from it, and when I asked some teachers about orchestra programs, some specifically mentioned that Webster had no student orchestra (I am not a musician myself, but have lots of connections to the suzuki programs in the area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
 
Location: St Louis, MO
2,631 posts, read 1,728,230 times
Reputation: 1754
inahandbasket is giving you great advice on lessons. When you reach the point that you want to purchase a quality electric violin (which should be a ways down the road), I would recommend talking to the people at Electric Violin Shop | The Leading Experts on Electric Violins, Electric Cellos, Electric Violas, Electric Upright Basses and String Amplification Gear for advice. You might not buy from them (since they are based in North Carolina), but they know their industry very very well and are happy to help people find the right instrument for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:29 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top