Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 4,321 times

Advertisements

I live in St. Louis Missouri and was recently ticketed for leaving a vehicle blocking traffic. My truck was towed before I could return. I could not just pay the ticket, but have received a court date instead. I understand that I can plead guilty but with an explanation. The explanation is this:

Vehicle stalled because the fuel pump failed. I was on a main street with two lanes each way. I did not have enough momentum to get the truck all the way off the street and could only get one wheel up on the curb. I could not push the vehicle all the way off the road because of a broken foot. I have x-rays with a time stamp.

I put the hazards on and went on foot for help. Got back in an hour. Vehicle gone already.

You don't choose where a car will strand you, and if you don't have the physical means to move it, how can you be liable for temporarily blocking traffic? I guess I will find out next month, but would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience and how it went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Was this in St. Louis city? Gravois has heavy traffic so if police arrive and see a car sitting there with no owner, I have to think they are going to get it towed off 100% of the time.

Sorry but unless I'm missing something I think you will be found guilty even with your explanation. Your vehicle was blocking traffic and you weren't there when the cops arrived to explain how you were getting it moved ASAP - otherwise I highly doubt they would've written you a ticket. In fact, they probably would have gotten it pushed all the way out of the way. You were going to have to get it towed anyway, so why not just call a towing company and wait with it?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 PM

This was in Affton. I do not carry a cell phone, so staying with the truck did not make as much sense to me as going for help. I understand why you would have an ordinance against leaving your stalled car in traffic, but since you can't choose when and where it will break down and strand you, and I do not have the physical means to move it myself, shouldn't the law give me some amount of relief for handling the situation?

If not, any idea what the fine could be?

Thx for your input.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Hopefully you can get out of it--I think it's assumed these days that everyone carries a cell phone. This has happened to me before, and the first thing I did was call AAA for a tow, and secondly the non-emergency STL police # to inform them of the situation and let them know a tow truck was on its way. This is why many people carry at least a pay-as-you-go cell phone; I understand monthly plans are expensive but there are other options and having some sort of cell phone for emergencies is handy.

Does your ticket not list the fine?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:02 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
If the vehicle is blocking traffic and the owner of the vehicle cannot be reached, then it falls under the traffic hazard regulation and must be towed immediately. In your situation, you had to leave some sort of explanation of how to reach you with the vehicle. Best thing to do would have been to wait with your vehicle; officers regularly patrol Gravois.

Getting a ticket for that is pretty unusual. Gravois is technically a state highway, so that might have contributed to the ticket.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 PM

no, it just had a court date and the circuit cty clerk told me a personal appearance was mandatory.

As for the cell phone, I don't carry one because the ex used to call me at work a couple of times a day and add to my stress level. It really got to be Pavlovian. When I'd hear the phone ring I'd start to feel nauseous so I got rid of it years ago.

There was also the backstory that I was trying to get to the ex's house to pick up one of my two daughters for school (they go to 2 different ones). Mom takes one and I take the other each morning, so when the truck broke down my first thought was "get to the house fast" so I can let her know what happened. Didn't want anybody to be late for school so I hobbled/ran over on a broken foot. Stupid idea.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
If the vehicle is blocking traffic and the owner of the vehicle cannot be reached, then it falls under the traffic hazard regulation and must be towed immediately. In your situation, you had to leave some sort of explanation of how to reach you with the vehicle. Best thing to do would have been to wait with your vehicle; officers regularly patrol Gravois.

Getting a ticket for that is pretty unusual. Gravois is technically a state highway, so that might have contributed to the ticket.
oh, great. I'm special....

Thanks for responding though,

Old 01-04-2012, 02:41 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I think this will be 100% dependent on the mood of the particular judge you see that day. The law is pretty simple but you certainly have fair excuses -- I have no idea what the fine would be, however. Best of luck and sorry for all your troubles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis