Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 07:46 AM

11 posts, read 17,607 times

Advertisements

I found a great looking apartment on the corner of Newstead and McPherson. I've read on a few threads that Newstead and McPherson are the eastern and northern borders for safer living in the CWE. Being right on the edge of that border, I'm a little concerned about the crime a bit north of there spilling down to where we would be. Does anyone have an opinion on this area? I visited last night and the area seemed very nice to me, but what I've read on other threads has me a bit concerned.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
I live about 3 blocks from here closer to Euclid, and am in this area all the time. I think you made a wonderful choice, actually, and have never witnessed a crime or even a disturbance of any kind in this area.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:26 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
McPherson is pretty nice to Boyle and really even beyond in my opinion. That spot in the CWE should have no more crime than any other and I wouldn't give it a second thought if it were me. Best of luck!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 17,607 times
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Mike0421, since you said you're in the area a lot, would you mind telling me how the walk is from that location to Maryland/Euclid? I haven't had a chance to walk it myself, but I'm thinking it can't be more than 10 minutes from the area's nightlife. We're coming from downtown, so we're used to walking everywhere. Afraid this might be too residential, but for the price I don't think we can do any better. It seems like rent increases by about $100 for each block west of where we're looking.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blopez0487 View Post
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Mike0421, since you said you're in the area a lot, would you mind telling me how the walk is from that location to Maryland/Euclid? I haven't had a chance to walk it myself, but I'm thinking it can't be more than 10 minutes from the area's nightlife. We're coming from downtown, so we're used to walking everywhere. Afraid this might be too residential, but for the price I don't think we can do any better. It seems like rent increases by about $100 for each block west of where we're looking.
It's 10 minutes walking backward! I've walked to Schnuck's before near your future residence to buy groceries, as well as Walgreen's. If the prices are going up $100 every block west from Newstead, then to me, this is not worth the extra expense. I live right on the corner of Maryland/Euclid, and pay probably too much for the privilege. You are doing right by your decision to move a few blocks away. As far as it being residential, it's more residential on that area of Newstead/McPherson, but not exclusively so.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
That should be right about a half mile, which is typically considered a 10-minute walk, but if you're a walker already you probably naturally walk faster than that. I walk a half mile in heels in 10 minutes.

I highly suggest getting a bike! It'd be a 3-minute bike ride to everything on Euclid, and the residential nature of McPherson makes it a safe and easy ride! And hey, if you've had a little drinky, drinky, well that's why God made cabs.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:51 PM

As usual, Aragx6 is spot on her observation that the walk is 0.5 miles to the corner of Maryland and Euclid, closer if are north of Maryland, a little further to walk to establishments south of Maryland, closer to Forest Park Ave. Walks to the entertainment district are rather managable.

If it is nightlife you seek, then Euclid is the street you want to have access to. Also, right in your area is a very small place I've driven by that I want to try some day, called West End Grill and Pub. If you don't want to walk .5 miles, there are some closer options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis