Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Agree with all of this! The west side of the parade route is a lot rowdier too, since pretty much all the bars on that side. Pretty much the closer to all the bars in Soulard you are, the less family friendly it is.
The judges sit on the east side. That is the side of the float that the float builders make the best looking. The west side is where the hard core party hardy people are.

If you are there with the wife & kids, stick east side for the better view & safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 08:06 AM

116 posts, read 211,669 times
My recommendation for families. Go to the Dog Parade the (Sunday) before the weekend of the Grand Parade. If you must hit the Grand Parade, set up shop closer to Soulard Market or farther north. Once the parade ends, make a b-line to the car, if the kids are very young. The crowds are very thick and most revelers are already drunk by then. It is a great event, but not one that I would consider 'kid friendly". I'm not sure about the Fat Tuesday parade, but that always seems more laid back. It was the one time I attended.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I really do know a lot of families who go to the parade despite everything though -- you'd be, by no means, the only ones there! And the floats themselves are all pretty innocuous.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:45 AM

998 posts, read 1,215,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I really do know a lot of families who go to the parade despite everything though -- you'd be, by no means, the only ones there! And the floats themselves are all pretty innocuous.
There are lots of kids & families there.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:57 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
Turnout for Mardi Gras was GREAT thanks to mild weather and sunshine. The huge crowds along the parade route were in great spirits. Loved it!!!

Old 02-18-2012, 05:39 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,811 times
I had a pretty good time until the sun went down, and it got cold. We decided to take the party back to the hotel at that point. The hurricanes were watered down, and had very little liquor in them for $14 a drink. Saw one fight, and saw lots of boobs Good times.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:39 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
I missed seeing the first-prize float, from the Krewe of Mystic Riders of the Purple Haze. Anyone have pics?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Glad everyone had a good time. I went last year and the year before that...the actually parade was pretty darn tame, especially compared to New Orleans type of Mardi Gras, or even St. Louis Mardi Gras prior to Soulard becoming the "Awesome and Hip neighborhood" it now is. Back in the day, Mardi Gras was a tad crazy, now the only craziness I see is confined to my friends' apartment and happens late at night.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,811 times
I'm pretty new to St. Louis and don't know Soulard at all, but I think we were down by a brewery, and they had a DJ and bands were playing across the street. They were selling liquor and beer on every corner, and the crowd got pretty rowdy down there as the day wore on. Saw people falling down drunk before the parade even started

Could not believe how bad cell phone service was down there. My verizon phone did not work down there at all. I could see the Arch, and my phone didn't work.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^Cell phone service isn't bad there on the other 364 days per year but when every person is on theirs hollering "Where are youuuuuu?" the towers get jammed pretty quickly.

And the brewery is Anheuser-Busch -- you should do the free tours they offer at some point.

I am so unbearably jealous that I wasn't there this year -- sounds like it was a blast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis