U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,001,088 times

Advertisements

It's sad we lost that building, but that sculpture park is pretty cool. At least he didn't turn it into a parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,117,901 times
Considering how Wash U is being stated as a "great patron of the city" is this because they already owned the property that they're going to demolish? Or because the buildings don't say "Pevely" on them? Or, is it because much of the progress happening on this Wash U expansion will not even be part of St. Louis City, but St. Louis County? I'm sure that two 1920's apartment buildings won't be sorely missed, but considering that they're nearly 100 years old, i'd have imagined some resistance considering their age, or their current/continued use.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 PM

136 posts, read 126,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Considering how Wash U is being stated as a "great patron of the city" is this because they already owned the property that they're going to demolish? Or because the buildings don't say "Pevely" on them? Or, is it because much of the progress happening on this Wash U expansion will not even be part of St. Louis City, but St. Louis County? I'm sure that two 1920's apartment buildings won't be sorely missed, but considering that they're nearly 100 years old, i'd have imagined some resistance considering their age, or their current/continued use.
I don't know what you're trying to prove in this post, but the main difference between WashU and SLU is simply, WashU is building urban while SLU is tearing down a Nationally Historic Register complex and building an unispiring suburban medical complex which does not enchance the built enviornment but takes away from it. WashU on the other hand is enhancing the built enviornment of The Loop. Yes, there has been a lot of dissapointment regarding the demolishing of those residential units, but ultimately people can live with WashU's project (including myself even though I'm not thrilled about it) since it replaces urban with urban, but people can't stand how SLU tears down the urban enviornment and builds stupid sculpture parks, parking lots and suburban bs in the city. Also a little more than half of WashU's project on and around the intersection of Delmar and Skinker is actually in the city since the City line doesn't stop at Skinker, but actually right before Limit Ave.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,001,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwood89 View Post
Also a little more than half of WashU's project on and around the intersection of Delmar and Skinker is actually in the city since the City line doesn't stop at Skinker, but actually right before Limit Ave.
Yes, from what I understand, part of the project will be in St. Louis City. Very nice, WashU!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 AM

1,086 posts, read 875,769 times
Quote:
Wash U has been a great patron of the city before this project was even announced. If you saw, up close, what they did to help stabilize Skinker-DeBaliviere for example, as I did, then this much would be obvious. Short blurb:

Washington University Community Impact Study

When it comes to "doing urban" wherever it is feasible, Wash U pretty much walks the walk. About the only thing I wasn't a fan of when I was there was them tearing down Talayna's on Skinker shortly after I left. In hindsight, that was a good thing: the building currently there (occupied at street level by Kayak coffee) blends well, and the old building might not have been able to survive the Metrolink expansion anyway.
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Old 02-28-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwood89 View Post
I don't know what you're trying to prove in this post, but the main difference between WashU and SLU is simply, WashU is building urban while SLU is tearing down a Nationally Historic Register complex and building an unispiring suburban medical complex which does not enchance the built enviornment but takes away from it. WashU on the other hand is enhancing the built enviornment of The Loop. Yes, there has been a lot of dissapointment regarding the demolishing of those residential units, but ultimately people can live with WashU's project (including myself even though I'm not thrilled about it) since it replaces urban with urban, but people can't stand how SLU tears down the urban enviornment and builds stupid sculpture parks, parking lots and suburban bs in the city. Also a little more than half of WashU's project on and around the intersection of Delmar and Skinker is actually in the city since the City line doesn't stop at Skinker, but actually right before Limit Ave.

The post wasn't trying to prove anything, but get an understanding. I saw that Wash U was being touted as a patron of the city while SLU is being berated as a destroyer of worlds. I was just trying to figure out what was making the major difference and it appears to be architectural style. Folks are upset with SLU for building suburban styled buildings in St. Louis City, and creating parking lots of students, faculty, etc. I think much of the parking lot issue could be avoided with proper planning, but the design of the buildings with green lawns seems a little "normal" to me. Apparently, they want modern looking buildings, and they also want grass which doesn't seem to bother me as much as some others.

I also took another peak at the Wash U plan, and 70% of it is in University City. Limit is the county line, but when the line reaches Delmar it moves Northeast on a 036 heading essentially bypassing almost all of the effected areas. It looks like they'll be making the entire block of Enright between Westgate and Eastgate student housing, then leveling the two apartment buildings on Delmar, and constructing mixed use on that corner. They're "green space" will be located further North on Eastgate where there are currently two empty lots. Folks on the news were stating how this will do great things for connecting both ends of the Loop together, but it seems to far West to really be much good at that, it's essentially on the side of the loop that's already very popular.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 AM

23,443 posts, read 17,773,296 times
Quote:
The post wasn't trying to prove anything, but get an understanding. I saw that Wash U was being touted as a patron of the city while SLU is being berated as a destroyer of worlds. I was just trying to figure out what was making the major difference and it appears to be architectural style. Folks are upset with SLU for building suburban styled buildings in St. Louis City, and creating parking lots of students, faculty, etc. I think much of the parking lot issue could be avoided with proper planning, but the design of the buildings with green lawns seems a little "normal" to me. Apparently, they want modern looking buildings, and they also want grass which doesn't seem to bother me as much as some others.

I also took another peak at the Wash U plan, and 70% of it is in University City. Limit is the county line, but when the line reaches Delmar it moves Northeast on a 036 heading essentially bypassing almost all of the effected areas. It looks like they'll be making the entire block of Enright between Westgate and Eastgate student housing, then leveling the two apartment buildings on Delmar, and constructing mixed use on that corner. They're "green space" will be located further North on Eastgate where there are currently two empty lots. Folks on the news were stating how this will do great things for connecting both ends of the Loop together, but it seems to far West to really be much good at that, it's essentially on the side of the loop that's already very popular.
No, its not architectural style, its urban vs suburban.
Theres a vast difference between the 2.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 AM

so wait, if I took my frame suburban home and moved it into St. Louis City, i'd still be living in suburbia? Considering that from SLU you can walk to numerous venues and TOTALLY be in the midst of the city, actually a significantly more urban environment than what surrounds U-City i'm wondering how this interpretation is working out.

If it's architecturally, such as the parking for the residences to be built in U-City will be included into the structure (I believe tuck under parking). I'm sure Wash U will design something that compliments the Loop and not something that stands out, similar to the newer buildings they've put on their campus...maybe that's what makes all the difference.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 AM

12,062 posts, read 19,070,831 times
^No, your home would be in a suburban style and thus wouldn't fit with the built environment surrounding you. It would, essentially, look stupid. But beyond that, it would destroy the urban street life. It's not about being modern or not. That's the difference kshe is trying to point out, I think.

Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of the Wash U plans, but there's several key differences that make it an entirely different proposition from the SLU plans:

1. Wash U is making use of some empty lots currently available. SLU is tearing down a building when there is already a perfectly good lot across the street. I can't get over the stupidity of that.

2. Wash U is adding residential density, not destroying the urban, walkable fabric of the area as SLU is doing. (and then proclaiming they should be able to tear down anything they want because there's no discernible neighborhood surrounding them -- because they already tore it down!)

3. Yes, the apartment buildings that Wash U will tear down are old, but they're not listed on the National Register of Historic Places and they don't have any major significance to the surrounding area. You absolutely can't say that about the Pevely buildings.

4. Wash U gets a bit more leeway precisely because they have shown themselves to be a good steward of the neighborhood in which they reside throughout their history (absolutely not perfect, mind you, but good). SLU has torn down building after building after building with little to no foresight, public transparency or, frankly, reason.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 AM

23,443 posts, read 17,773,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^No, your home would be in a suburban style and thus wouldn't fit with the built environment surrounding you. It would, essentially, look stupid. But beyond that, it would destroy the urban street life. It's not about being modern or not. That's the difference kshe is trying to point out, I think.

Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of the Wash U plans, but there's several key differences that make it an entirely different proposition from the SLU plans:

1. Wash U is making use of some empty lots currently available. SLU is tearing down a building when there is already a perfectly good lot across the street. I can't get over the stupidity of that.

2. Wash U is adding residential density, not destroying the urban, walkable fabric of the area as SLU is doing. (and then proclaiming they should be able to tear down anything they want because there's no discernible neighborhood surrounding them -- because they already tore it down!)

3. Yes, the apartment buildings that Wash U will tear down are old, but they're not listed on the National Register of Historic Places and they don't have any major significance to the surrounding area. You absolutely can't say that about the Pevely buildings.

4. Wash U gets a bit more leeway precisely because they have shown themselves to be a good steward of the neighborhood in which they reside throughout their history (absolutely not perfect, mind you, but good). SLU has torn down building after building after building with little to no foresight, public transparency or, frankly, reason.
Yes, that is the point I was after, I am a bit distracted this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis