Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-01-2012, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Pueblo, CO
466 posts, read 1,057,777 times
Reputation: 284

Advertisements

Hi, we moved to St. Louis a few month ago and found a apartment in the Shaw neighborhood. But our lease was only for 6 months (till the end of April) and I don't want to renew it. I would like to live more in the country side, STL is nice, with lots of nice neighborhoods, but I miss nature to much (we lived in Oregon before). I like the convenience of the city, but the hussle and bussle is to overwhelming for me, due to my fibromyalgia I think, or maybe because I am 57!
We want to rent a house with garage and yard, not to hilly please because I would like to ride my bike and I have fibromyalgia, so I don't have a lot of energy. The rent shouldn't be more than 800 dollars a month, less would be better. We have a big black dog, she is a Labrador-mix, called Angel. Why are people more afraid of black dogs? It always baffles me.
I like St. Charles a lot, because I love the dog parks, especially the one in Brommelsiek park and I don't want to drive an hour to get there. What other neighborhood can you recommend and if you know of a rental for us, can you let me know. Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 PM
 
395 posts, read 646,903 times
Reputation: 314
Check out the Il side, Colombia or Waterloo, lots of countryside, you might have to go toofar out in St. Chuck to hit real countryside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
3,483 posts, read 8,952,877 times
Reputation: 2479
Nothing wrong with St. Charles, how country are you wanting though? Just out of St. Louis City, or are you wanting rural, farming type communities? The further you are from town, the lower your rent prices will typically be. There are normally some small communities away from the city as well. The Illinois side also has plenty of rural areas, and typically cheaper property costs, which might lead to lower rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,063 posts, read 31,469,745 times
Reputation: 3798
You're unlikely to find a single family house in that price point anywhere in St. Charles county -- a quick look at padmapper.com doesn't show any in St. Charles county under $800. There were a few townhomes or duplexes though, which might be worth considering.

You'd probably have a lot more luck if you were looking to buy, because in the rural areas of St. Charles county there just really isn't much of anything available to rent.

Any chance you could up your budget? In the 900-range there looked to be a couple of options, but still not many. You might also consider heading across the river to Hazelwood or Florissant -- neither are at all rural -- really most of St. Charles county isn't anymore either -- but there would definitely be less hustle and bustle than in the city and your dollars would stretch farther in North County than in St. Charles -- particularly because of the quality of the schools, which isn't a concern for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Pueblo, CO
466 posts, read 1,057,777 times
Reputation: 284
Not that rural though, just not living in the middle like we do now. For me is also very important to have a good big dog park not to far away and that's what I like about the St. Charles area, and also some meet-up groups I am interested in are in that area. It doesn't have to be in St. Charles, but maybe Florissant or Hazelwood would be fine too, if they aren't crime ridden.
We can't buy, my husbands credit isn't good and I have only a little pension from Germany. So we are looking to rent and 800 dollars is our maximum.
And I don't want to live in Illinois, because they have no good dog parks as far as I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 11:46 AM
 
787 posts, read 1,405,116 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
Hi, we moved to St. Louis a few month ago and found a apartment in the Shaw neighborhood. But our lease was only for 6 months (till the end of April) and I don't want to renew it. I would like to live more in the country side, STL is nice, with lots of nice neighborhoods, but I miss nature to much (we lived in Oregon before). I like the convenience of the city, but the hussle and bussle is to overwhelming for me, due to my fibromyalgia I think, or maybe because I am 57!
We want to rent a house with garage and yard, not to hilly please because I would like to ride my bike and I have fibromyalgia, so I don't have a lot of energy. The rent shouldn't be more than 800 dollars a month, less would be better. We have a big black dog, she is a Labrador-mix, called Angel. Why are people more afraid of black dogs? It always baffles me.
I like St. Charles a lot, because I love the dog parks, especially the one in Brommelsiek park and I don't want to drive an hour to get there. What other neighborhood can you recommend and if you know of a rental for us, can you let me know. Much appreciated.
I'm familiar with south city, used to live in the Shaw neighborhood, so I know it can be noisy and busy. As aragx6 pointed out, finding a house rental in St. Charles County is difficult, especially for $800.00 per month. Would you consider University City? My neighborhood, University Park, is predominantly residential but the perk is shopping is close by. This Craig's List posting is only one long block from the U City dog park and Schnucks.
University City Condo (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2877874075.html - broken link)

Here's another in the same area:
7xxx Dartmouth (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2826157276.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,063 posts, read 31,469,745 times
Reputation: 3798
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
Not that rural though, just not living in the middle like we do now. For me is also very important to have a good big dog park not to far away and that's what I like about the St. Charles area, and also some meet-up groups I am interested in are in that area. It doesn't have to be in St. Charles, but maybe Florissant or Hazelwood would be fine too, if they aren't crime ridden.
We can't buy, my husbands credit isn't good and I have only a little pension from Germany. So we are looking to rent and 800 dollars is our maximum.
And I don't want to live in Illinois, because they have no good dog parks as far as I know.
Definitely not crime ridden -- safer than where you are now. The prices are better because of a few reasons including: the homes are modest, the schools aren't amazing and the area is, frankly, a bit more diverse now than some of the folks who grew up in the area would prefer (those that care have moved to St. Charles now). I suspect you could be quite happy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Pueblo, CO
466 posts, read 1,057,777 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
I'm familiar with south city, used to live in the Shaw neighborhood, so I know it can be noisy and busy. As aragx6 pointed out, finding a house rental in St. Charles County is difficult, especially for $800.00 per month. Would you consider University City? My neighborhood, University Park, is predominantly residential but the perk is shopping is close by. This Craig's List posting is only one long block from the U City dog park and Schnucks.
University City Condo (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2877874075.html - broken link)

Here's another in the same area:
7xxx Dartmouth (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2826157276.html - broken link)
Yeah, I saw the ad, and I would consider it, if I can't find anything further away from the city core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Pueblo, CO
466 posts, read 1,057,777 times
Reputation: 284
Thanks, aragx6, I have a look in the mentioned areas. I kind of knew it would pretty difficult to find something in our price range in St. Charles, but I don't give up hope yet. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,063 posts, read 31,469,745 times
Reputation: 3798
I'd hate to say it's impossible because you never really know, but un-updated homes in my mom's St. Peters regularly go for $1,100+ so I have to think the odds of finding an SFH for $800 is pretty slim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top