U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 PM

10 posts, read 7,117 times
Default Kirkwood and Webster Groves family neighborhoods

Can someone tell me specific neighborhoods (streets, etc) that are good for upper middle class families with young children. Home prices in the 400-600k range. I'm striking out on figuring out good vs not-so-good neighborhoods. I'm open to Kirkwood, Webster, or Glendale. We don't know anyone so we're hoping to go somewhere we can meet some people with young kids, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 09:08 PM

711 posts, read 1,210,634 times
Of the 3, I would choose Kirkwood or Webster Groves. The only place to be wary of that I am aware of is the area of Kirkwood near Big Bend and I-44, around the Wal Mart. That area has a reputation, though driving through you wouldn't know as the homes there are even nice. I live in Kirkwood and that's the only area I would avoid. You'll have plenty of options with that price range.

Not a thing wrong with Glendale, either, I'm just not as familiar...but it's basically Kirkwood with a different name. They even go to Kirkwood schools there. Watch the Big Bend/44 area, but you will be fine anywhere else. I love Kirkwood with a passion!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:16 PM

711 posts, read 1,210,634 times
Oh, and we have a young son, so feel free to PM me if you ever want to have a play date or something! We moved to the area over 4 years ago but still don't know many people here.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Thank you so much!!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,820,187 times
AJohnston is talking about Meacham Park, and the history of the area is probably something those moving to Kirkwood should know about, but folks are hesitant to talk about it, myself included. Kirkwood City Council shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like I said, I hesitate to share that history and assure you that it should play no role in your decision to move to the area -- no more really than the shootings at Columbine or Virginia Tech should, but you'll hear about it eventually I'm sure, and as AJohnston alluded to it, it seemed worth sharing.

Regardless at 400-600k you can settle anywhere you want in the area -- are you looking for something historic or newer construction? If it were me, I'd be looking within walking distance to either Kirkwood or Webster Groves' downtown -- they're both adorable.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 AM

Default Thanks to everyone!

I remembered the two Kirkwood incidents - the city council thing and the Devlin thing but didn't associate those with Kirkwood. I remember now being really surprised that those incidents happened in Kirkwood since I've never heard anything even close to negative about the area and have always loved to visit. So that's not going to affect our decision.

What I'm really most concerned about is the school districts and the amount of similar families to ours and I think Kirkwood and Webster fit the bill. Thanks for the recommendation on living close to the downtown areas - I'd love to be able to walk to stuff!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,231,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
AJohnston is talking about Meacham Park, and the history of the area is probably something those moving to Kirkwood should know about, but folks are hesitant to talk about it, myself included. Kirkwood City Council shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like I said, I hesitate to share that history and assure you that it should play no role in your decision to move to the area -- no more really than the shootings at Columbine or Virginia Tech should, but you'll hear about it eventually I'm sure, and as AJohnston alluded to it, it seemed worth sharing.

Regardless at 400-600k you can settle anywhere you want in the area -- are you looking for something historic or newer construction? If it were me, I'd be looking within walking distance to either Kirkwood or Webster Groves' downtown -- they're both adorable.
I'm a Kirkwood resident so I will speak to Kirkwood, although the other areas are very good as well. I think you will find that any house in that range in Kirkwood (or the others) will be in a good area. The entire area is family friendly. The schools are good with many activities available for kids through school, church if you are so inclined, the YMCA, the Kirkwood Parks & Recreation, the pool, Community Center, etc.

Yes, Meacham Park is a small fairly isolated section of Kirkwood that has a bad reputation at least in some respects. Unfortunately, it's not all ancient history (Men Arrested in Kirkwood on Drug, Weapon Charges - Kirkwood, MO Patch). Like anywhere else, the majority of people in that community are great people. I've lived here my whole life, went to Kirkwood Schools with people from that neighborhood and was friends with many, and simply don't worry about.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Ugh Michael Devlin was so gross. I remember the day they found Shawn Hornbeck. I was living in Columbia at the time and I remember hearing that on the news and being stunned he was alive. A good friend who was also from St. Louis came by immediately and was all "They found Shawn Hornbeck!!" and my SO (from KC) was like "Who?" Everyone from/in St. Louis remembered the story of him disappearing.

Cookie was a terrorist and was pretty clearly mentally disturbed, but that incident stirred up some long-standing racial tensions in the area, and (again it would NEVER affect my decision to live there) is, in some ways, more relevant than the Devlin stuff, though both were awful stories.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 AM

To move on from awful stuff though, I'll say that if I were choosing between the two, I prefer Kirkwood's little downtown area (though both are nice!) but Webster Groves' closer proximity to the city (and to the metro if you want to get downtown for things like Cardinals games etc.). You can't go wrong with either!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 AM

1,060 posts, read 790,043 times
I moved to Webster Groves from Phoenix about 6 months ago. I live in the Webster area that is north of the 44 and south of Old Webster. You will find everything from 2 bedroom homes under $200,000 to homes around the $1 million price tag here. If you like the older Victorian looking homes then this would be a perfect area. The elementary school in this area is Bristol and it scored a 9 out of 10 on greatschools. If you go north of the Old Webster area (which would be north of Lockwood) the area looks a little less appealing. One thing I really like about Webster Groves is there are two downtown areas, Old Webster and Old Orchard that are separated by the campuses of two high schools and Webster University. I've driven through, shopped, and eaten in Kirkwood many times. The homes and neighborhoods actually look very similar. One big difference is that Lindbergh/Kirkwood Avenue is a major thoroughfare that runs right through Kirkwood. So there is more shopping and such in Kirkwood than Webster Groves. But I prefer living in Webster and driving the 2 miles to shop in Kirkwood than the other way around. Watson Road does border Webster on the south and there is a lot of major retail shopping there as well. Webster is more residential, with almost all of the retail shopping and eating establishments being privately owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis