Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:40 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times

Advertisements

Boo, as a dude raised in NorCo I resemble that remark. Out of curiosity, what was going on with raising kids that made you glad to make the move? And what part were you residing in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:52 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Hi Everyone
I appreciate the input. I have been seriously considering South City as well. One of the problems we're facing from a budget standpoint though, is our requirements:

My husband is an auto-enthusiast (auto mechanics is what he plans on doing in school once he's out of the Marine Corps) and a Double Garage is a non-negotiable.

Additionally, both of our families are significant distances away from STL (his are are 15 hour drive, mine are a 20 hour flight) and subsequently, having the extra room for them to stay when they visit is mandatory.

Therefore, we need at least a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home with a double garage. That's why I *know* it's hard to achieve on our budget in a half way good area, which is part of the reason I've been looking at the so called 'less desirable' areas

As for Children, we don't plan on having any in the near future, so school districts won't be an issue.

Thanks again for your input everyone, I'm appreciating all of the feedback

xAmber Lee

Old 03-09-2012, 03:17 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
I would definitely look into South City, the double garage is doable, several of my neighbors have them.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:30 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Be sure to look into Dutchtown, Bevo or Carondelet -- definitely south city's least expensive neighborhoods.

That said, I think you're right that your budget would be tight in most of South City. I don't feel comfortable with my knowledge of most of North County to say much. Except Jennings -- I know all I ever need to know about that place and would not recommend it (one of my closest friends grew up there). What about Dellwood? Her parents live there now and it's considerably safer than Jennings and the houses are modest but from what I've seen generally well kept.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:00 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
As stated you can find two car garages through any part of St. Louis, they're very common. My dad had one when he lived in South City, however it took up a good chunk of already postage stamp sized lot. As a car/motorcycle enthusiast a large garage was necessary for me as well. My wife and I purchased in St. Ann (Northwest St. Louis County) about two years ago. Our house came equipped with a 3 car garage and about a half acre of land, much of which is still open and green. The hope was to have a garage large enough to fulfill my requirements, a house big enough to fulfill our needs, and a yard the kids could play soccer and catch in as they get older. I'm pretty happy with our purchase, and our neighborhood experience has been great, and enjoyable. Our neighbors are nice, considerate, and often retired...the streets are relatively quiet, and we've yet to be experience any crime (property or otherwise...although I'm not naive enough to think it doesn't exist).

The only downer of my particular area is the Ritenour school district, but considering my wife and I were both privately educated, and were planning on sending our children to private schools anyway it wasn't a major concern in our selection.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:34 PM

165 posts, read 451,331 times
I think there are a few things available that meet your requirements in Old North St. Louis, a neighborhood just 1.5 miles or so north of downtown in the City. Contact Matt Fernandez at the Old North St. Louis Restoration Group and he'll send you a list of available properties. If you tell him what you are looking for, he can probably be more specific about what he sends you. Email him at matt (at) onsl (dot) org.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 7,510 times
Default May have the place you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Hey There

Okay so I know that there are probably going to be a lot of people on this forum who will say NO NO NO to my question immediately.

I have lived in various cities throughout the world, and thankfully will be moving back to St. Louis (where I lived from 2005-2008) at the end of this year. My husband and I have made the decision to buy a house outright rather than mortgage something (neither of us have ever, ever been in debt and don't plan on it). By the end of the year, we should have saved about $80k+ but don't necessarily want to spend the entire amount.

When I formerly lived in the STL region I lived in Maryland Heights, which I loved, and worked Downtown St. Louis, which I loved. I also did a *lot* of urban exploration- night and day- inclusive of North City, North County, the East Side, as well as the 'more desirable' regions.

Even as a young caucasian female by myself, I never once encountered the slightest problem. Then again, I've never been a nervous type.

It lead me to think that people's aversions to the above mentioned areas are just due to the amount of decay, white flight, and fear for fear's sake.

I was having a look at the Crime Mapping SLMPD- Crime Mapping and noted that apparently declining communities (Riverview, Moline Acres, Spanish Lake, Black Jack, Florissant, etc) have had little to no crime recently reported. In fact, there has been more crime in my beloved Maryland Heights! I do however realize that there has been a racial shift in the past 20 or so years, but honestly this doesn't bother my husband or myself.

So, I pose this question to you... would it be worth going way under budget and finding a bigger/better house in one of these areas bordering North City/North County? It would just be a temporary measure- 5 years or so until we can save up for something better.

Is it worth the so-called risk? Any input would be so greatly appreciated I realize some of you may think I'm a little nutty for even considering it... but I've probably encountered worse places throughout my world travels

Thanks in advance!

x Amber Lee
The property is 1.2 acres, full brick, 1500 sf, full basement, 2bath, deck, screened gazebo and hot springs hot tub, two out buildings, large 2car and 1car. Also attached 1car, large fireplace, sun room, hardwood, ceramic tile, new furnace, new windows. Less $ than you said to buy it....
Let me know how to reach you...

Old 06-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Email me @ wayne at courtney-scott.com
It is a great house and we will work with you if you are interested.

Wayne

Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM

Amber, i just read nore of your posts and really encourage you to consider contacting us. We want to sell and retire, This could be the perfect house for you and definately will fit your budget. The large detached two car garage will be just what your husband will want for the cars.

Please email, wayne at courtney-scott.com

Old 06-17-2012, 06:33 PM

Default May have the place you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Hey There

Okay so I know that there are probably going to be a lot of people on this forum who will say NO NO NO to my question immediately.

I have lived in various cities throughout the world, and thankfully will be moving back to St. Louis (where I lived from 2005-2008) at the end of this year. My husband and I have made the decision to buy a house outright rather than mortgage something (neither of us have ever, ever been in debt and don't plan on it). By the end of the year, we should have saved about $80k+ but don't necessarily want to spend the entire amount.

When I formerly lived in the STL region I lived in Maryland Heights, which I loved, and worked Downtown St. Louis, which I loved. I also did a *lot* of urban exploration- night and day- inclusive of North City, North County, the East Side, as well as the 'more desirable' regions.

Even as a young caucasian female by myself, I never once encountered the slightest problem. Then again, I've never been a nervous type.

It lead me to think that people's aversions to the above mentioned areas are just due to the amount of decay, white flight, and fear for fear's sake.

I was having a look at the Crime Mapping SLMPD- Crime Mapping and noted that apparently declining communities (Riverview, Moline Acres, Spanish Lake, Black Jack, Florissant, etc) have had little to no crime recently reported. In fact, there has been more crime in my beloved Maryland Heights! I do however realize that there has been a racial shift in the past 20 or so years, but honestly this doesn't bother my husband or myself.

So, I pose this question to you... would it be worth going way under budget and finding a bigger/better house in one of these areas bordering North City/North County? It would just be a temporary measure- 5 years or so until we can save up for something better.

Is it worth the so-called risk? Any input would be so greatly appreciated I realize some of you may think I'm a little nutty for even considering it... but I've probably encountered worse places throughout my world travels

Thanks in advance!

x Amber Lee
The property is 1.2 acres, full brick, 1500 sf, full basement, 2bath, deck, screened gazebo and hot springs hot tub, two out buildings, large 2car and 1car. Also attached 1car, large fireplace, sun room, hardwood, ceramic tile, new furnace, new windows. Less $ than you said to buy it....
Let me know how to reach you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis