U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 6,724 times
Default Hired at Boeing, where to live???

Hi all, I will be starting a 6 month contract working at Boeing next week. I am not from St. Louis and am not that familiar with the area. Can someone recommend a place for a 43, white male that does not own a car. Looking for a safe place which allows a commute on public transportation to and from work.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 12:38 PM

12,062 posts, read 17,820,187 times
I've honestly never known anyone to take public transportation to Boeing, but it does appear possible. I would ask if they have a shuttle from the North Hanley metrolink station, because that would be easiest, but if they don't, the #44 bus goes straight from N Hanley station to Boeing.

In either case, you'll want to live somewhere close to the metro then to minimize transfer time. There might be some decent apartment complexes near UMSL, but I don't know the area well enough to tell you where would and wouldn't be a good spot.

Barring that, I'd focus on something near the Delmar or Forest Park metro stops -- the Loop neighborhood is very walkable and fun and is in close proximity to the Delmar stop. Forest Park is a little less wlakable as a whole, but there are a lot of apartment buildings in the area, which is probably useful for you if you'll be looking for a short-term lease. And it's a long walk/easy bike or quick hop on the metro to not only the Loop but also one of St. Louis' most vibrant, walkable neighborhoods the Central West End. You could also look near the CWE stop, but I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend and it can get rather pricey (depending on your point of reference obviously)

If you share your budget we can probably offer more tailored suggestions, but you'll have to choose a place carefully as not having a car in St. Louis -- particularly with a commute to the suburbs -- can be a rather limiting factor.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,724 times
Thanks for the info.
Looking to pay around $700 for rent.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:27 PM

^Be sure to check out padmapper.com -- better than Craigslist because it dumps all the scams and the duplicates.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:36 PM

You'll have to look around a bit to see who'll give you a six-month lease, but here's a few exmaples of what your budget can afford you. Everything I'm posting is close to the metrolink.

700ft² - New Kitchen, Granite, Hardwoods! Close to Metro
Live in the Heart of the Loop! Updated Kitchen-Wood Floors
*$500 Off First Month!* Live in the Heart of CWE!-Walk to BJC, Wash U

I can't speak for the quality and you'd likely feel somewhat isolated, but you could walk to work which sure wouldn't be a bad thing: Hazelwood Forest Apartments

Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM

7,646 posts, read 10,695,944 times
My studio rental in CWE (Maryland Plaza and Euclid) is $615, going up to $630. You can have it after June, if you so choose! My parking is $60 a month. If you choose to commute from the CWE Metrolink, you are about 6 blocks from the station, which is a managable 10-15 minute walk.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 PM

213 posts, read 129,252 times
Use the following link as an example of how to use stl public transportation from point A to B.

Lagoon Dr to James S McDonnell Blvd - Google Maps

aragx6, if you tell me I'm being unhelpful... I will not... I swear.. will not dodge the next cute animal that runs in front of my car.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:26 AM

At least you were friendly! (and please, no hitting of cute animals!)

Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 AM

580 posts, read 562,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^Be sure to check out padmapper.com -- better than Craigslist because it dumps all the scams and the duplicates.
Hey, aragx6 - meant to tell you thanks for mentioning Padmapper! We've been using it to learn about the apartments available around KCAI for our daughter. It's an excellent website/app!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 AM

I can't take credit for discovering it (it was someone on the Chicago forum who suggested it I believe) but I've found it to be super useful too! Any luck finding an apartment for her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis