Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:40 AM

466 posts, read 1,058,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Well I'm sure the OP has a barrage of criticism coming his way so I'll go easy but..

1) The USA is absolutely a first world country. That is not debatable. You will not find a single person, especially an educated professional, who disagrees with that. Google "first world" and find me a single link that says otherwise. You wouldn't be more wrong if you insisted the sun revolves around the Earth.

2) Your overly defensive responses and troll-calling is a bit much. Relax.

3) All countries have slums to some degree. To suggest otherwise is laughable. You really lose all credibility when you post that.
O.k. I read now half of the responses and here you see, how people have opinions about something they haven't really experienced. I have lived in 4 countries (lived, not visited), in London, GB, in Rhos, Wales (also GB ofcourse), in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, in different cities in Germany, longest in Cologne. Non of the cities I have lived in has anything even remote like St. Louis, or other big cities in the US. They have some bad parts, of course, but nothing even compare to what I have seen when I drove through North St. Louis. It was absolutely shocking. America is one of the wealthiest "1st world" countries, we huge pockets of "3rd world". And if you think that is normal, than it is, because you are American and think it is the same in every big city. Well, it isn't!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 01:17 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,734,654 times
Okay, St. Louis has a really bad part of town. So what? There are an equal number, if not more, thriving and successful neighborhoods in the city. Not many other cities of St. Louis' size can boast dense, historic, walkable neighborhoods like the Central West End, Soulard, Lafayette Square, the Loop, the Hill, etc. The list gets even longer if you add the urban inner-ring suburbs. Furthermore, show me a city of 3 million that also boasts the kind of light rail system we enjoy. Why would you sit there and spew vitriol about a city just because it has a bad side? Why not focus on the many positives about St. Louis? It just baffles me. If you hate it here then move, but don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:24 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,838,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
O.k. I read now half of the responses and here you see, how people have opinions about something they haven't really experienced. I have lived in 4 countries (lived, not visited), in London, GB, in Rhos, Wales (also GB ofcourse), in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, in different cities in Germany, longest in Cologne. Non of the cities I have lived in has anything even remote like St. Louis, or other big cities in the US. They have some bad parts, of course, but nothing even compare to what I have seen when I drove through North St. Louis. It was absolutely shocking. America is one of the wealthiest "1st world" countries, we huge pockets of "3rd world". And if you think that is normal, than it is, because you are American and think it is the same in every big city. Well, it isn't!!!
I take it you've never been to Detroit, Gary, or any other rust belt city with crappy areas just like North St Louis?
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the west end of Louisville.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,959,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post

But more importantly than that is what American cities do not have slums, truly dangerous spots, or locations that would be be better leveled that improved? My guess is the vast majority of American cities are like that, good or bad, that's how it is here. As stated, America doesn't have the societal safety nets in place like much of Europe does, and when it's brought up politically it's ridiculed by the opposing political party. Much of this is historic, America isn't built like Europe...There always has been, and likely always will be a certain "rugged, individualism" alive here that much of the world has given up on. You are what you make of yourself, we root for the underdog, and reward the achievers, always striving to better ourselves. Those here who do not take necessary steps to better themselves are supported by their friends, family, social programs (somewhat limited), and personal generosity. I'm not saying this is the right way forward, or the responsible way, but it is the way America works...better or worse, we're first world in a way that the rest of the world isnt...and we're third world in a way that the rest of the world isn't as well.

If this offends you, please do something to change it! Get out their in the community and organize efforts to make improvements in housing, safety, education, etc...get motivated, and do something. The reason many of these blighted areas exist is because good families moved out when they had the economic means to do so. I can understand many of the reasons that folks won't move back to these areas now, but if no one is willing to put the effort in, or in your case "simply move to the city" then how would anything change? Volunteer, write representatives, donate your money, donate your time, fix the problem!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 PM

12,867 posts, read 13,179,618 times
Sounds like St.Louis has changed a bit since I lived there from 1954-57.

My family rented half a large brick duplex from the city on Officer's Row (Hancock Ave.) in Jefferson Barracks.

Most of that old military housing is now gone from what I have heard, as is my old parochial school, St.Bernadette's. My brothers went to Bishop Duborg (sp?) High School.

But East St.Louis was a craphole back then too.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,959,095 times
St. Louis has changed significantly since the 1950's...I can't remember off hand what the population was during that area, but my guess is it was still towards the historic high of about 800k residents. Since then, much has changed...Suburbia drew in many of the former residents, along with many of the new residents. So while the metropolitan area of St. Louis has grown to appx 2 million residents, St. Louis City only composes ~320k of those residents, with the biggest groups of residents being in St. Charles County, followed by St. Louis County.

St. Louis City is seeing a bit of a revival, but it's going to require a couple hundred thousand more residents to be the great urban center that many board members are looking for.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,853,396 times
Actually, we are almost 3 million now. If the city gained a couple hundred thousand residents, I would be a happy camper. The St Louis school district is now an A+ school district, I think that could change the city for the better.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
Actually, we are almost 3 million now. If the city gained a couple hundred thousand residents, I would be a happy camper. The St Louis school district is now an A+ school district, I think that could change the city for the better.
True story. I think the number is right around 2.8 million. It's KC that's right at 2 million.

By all accounts St. Louis city was painfully crowded and conditions for many were quite dismal in the '50s when more than 800,000 people lived in its itty bitty city limits, but I agree that if St. Louis could add something like 100,000 - 200,000 additional people that would be ideal -- what's more important is to see median incomes rising; they're still quite low.

I just think it's important to note that many neiughborhoods in St. Louis are nearing emptiness, but there are some great, walkable vibrant neighborhoods with high occupancy rates. It would be healthy for the city to add additional residents but that doesn't mean that there aren't swaths of the city that are already quite healthy themselves.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,269,591 times
I think people are confusing "slum" and "third world". When people say that no parts of the U.S. resemble true "third world countries" they are correct. Third world countries are undeveloped. Some don't have running water or sewage systems. The slums of America still have the basics of development. Third world refers to a country not a neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:28 AM

466 posts, read 1,058,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I take it you've never been to Detroit, Gary, or any other rust belt city with crappy areas just like North St Louis?
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the west end of Louisville.
No, I haven't, why should I? And I only have to drive quite a bit through North Saint Louis, because I don't like to drive on the freeway much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis