Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 10:45 PM

9 posts, read 16,421 times

Advertisements

Well, I got the job offer. I am moving to St. Louis. And thanks to the kind people on this forum I have a decent sense of where I will target my search for a place to live.

I’m hoping to find a place in the CWE, say within a mile or less of Maryland and Euclid. I really like it around there. Lots and lots of things to figure out now. My company has assigned a realtor to help me look, even though I am pretty certain that I’ll be renting. If I get the sense that the realtor is pulling my leg at any point, I’ll probably come here to get some feedback.

In general I’ll try to minimize the amount of repeated inquiries by looking through the archives on this site. That said, I’m sure I’ll have some things I’ll want to ask – thanks in advance to you St. L vets in advance for your help!

Here’s a good one for starters – do you know of any good authentic Chinese restaurants in St Louis? They tend to be hard to find in general in the US, outside of California and New York City. But if there’s anything reputable as being authentic (i.e. not Americanized Chinese food), I’d love to know about it. I ate at the Vietnamese place on Euclid a few weeks ago...reasonably authentic Vietnamese Pho, but I'm not sure about Chinese. Oh, and if you know of any good Thai food as well, or sushi, that'd be good to know about.

Thanks again guys – more to come :-)

Jiggles

Old 04-01-2012, 08:12 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
Welcome to STL! Here is the thing, you can get amazing authentic Mexican, Thai, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Nicaraguan and about any other ethnic food you could thing of, but I have yet to eat at a Chinese place that knocks my socks off.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,279,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles_McFuqstick View Post
Well, I got the job offer. I am moving to St. Louis. And thanks to the kind people on this forum I have a decent sense of where I will target my search for a place to live.

I’m hoping to find a place in the CWE, say within a mile or less of Maryland and Euclid. I really like it around there. Lots and lots of things to figure out now. My company has assigned a realtor to help me look, even though I am pretty certain that I’ll be renting. If I get the sense that the realtor is pulling my leg at any point, I’ll probably come here to get some feedback.

In general I’ll try to minimize the amount of repeated inquiries by looking through the archives on this site. That said, I’m sure I’ll have some things I’ll want to ask – thanks in advance to you St. L vets in advance for your help!

Here’s a good one for starters – do you know of any good authentic Chinese restaurants in St Louis? They tend to be hard to find in general in the US, outside of California and New York City. But if there’s anything reputable as being authentic (i.e. not Americanized Chinese food), I’d love to know about it. I ate at the Vietnamese place on Euclid a few weeks ago...reasonably authentic Vietnamese Pho, but I'm not sure about Chinese. Oh, and if you know of any good Thai food as well, or sushi, that'd be good to know about.

Jiggles
I wouldn't know if any sort of ethnic food other than Mexican is authentic or not. I lived for my entire life in Arizona, so I feel pretty well versed on "authentic" Mexican food. For Asian food I can only tell you where I went and whether I liked it or not. So here are the three Asian restaurants I've been to:

Mai Lee (Brentwood) - They have a very expansive menu. It's mostly Vietnamese, with some Chinese. I've only been once and I had the Pho, and Bahn Mi sandwich. Both were very good.

Webster Garden (Webster Groves)- This is a tiny family restaurant in a strip mall in Webster Groves. It's close to home so I frequent it. It's mostly Chinese with a few Vietnamese items (Pho of course). I've had the Pho, fried rice, lo mein, and kung pao shrimp. They are not consistently great, but they are much better than Webster Wok across the street. One caveat is that they do not accept credit or debit cards. It's cash or check only.

Webster Wok (Webster Groves) - Awful. Went once and won't return.

Panda (Kirkwood) - Ordered take-out once. It was o.k. I'd eat there again, but nothing to write home about.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:39 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Yeh, i eat at Panda in St. Ann and it's ok...but my favorite St. Louis Crab Rangoon is from Zang Chi of Ballas Rd in Creve Coeur.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles_McFuqstick View Post

Jiggles
Want an apartment on Euclid & Maryland? You can have mine first week of May!

Old 04-01-2012, 04:03 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
I've heard good things about these three Chinese restaurants, all located on Olive Blvd. in U-City (the closest thing St. Louis has to a Chinatown): Wei Hong (7740 Olive), Wonton King (8116 Olive), and Lu Lu (8224 Olive).

Old 04-02-2012, 07:30 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Congrats on the job!

I recommend this thread on ChowHound. I'd start about half-way down because the original post is more than a decade old, but there's some great info in there: Chinese food in St. Louis - Great Plains - Chowhound
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis