U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-08-2012, 09:22 PM

915 posts, read 673,481 times
I've never done a real estate search for Brentwood so I'm not sure what the typical home size is, but they are probably smaller than Kirkwood and WG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-08-2012, 11:20 PM

28 posts, read 29,473 times
flynavyj: I have a Mitsubishi Lancer...so regular FWD. I was thinking it snowed a lot there. Whew!

It seems like I would get so much more everything there than in California. Any homes that I can afford here are in not so great neighborhoods and very run down. If I were to go the condo/townhome route...I can't see why I would want to spend the same to get a 1 bedroom condo here when I can get a nice house in a great neighborhood there for the same price.

billiken: I'll check out those areas too! Thanks for the recommendation. I don't have to worry about the schools so much since I don't have kids, but it's good to know about the ratings. Thanks!

Dawn10am: Thanks! I hope to tour around the whole area when I come. That would be fantastic to be right there! I thought it might not be as quiet as the other neighborhoods, but the MetroLink access sounds great. I'll have a lot to check out.

Thanks everyone!!

Unread 04-08-2012, 11:34 PM

Also...as I am looking at houses online and checking out the Google images, I am noticing that everyone's grass looks so nice and neat! Lol! It's as if everyone knew that the Google car was going to drive down their street and everyone cut the grass at the same time.

Unread 04-09-2012, 04:58 AM

2,729 posts, read 2,257,450 times
Nice, lol. When it comes to St. Louis home prices, and resale values, just about EVERYTHING is placed on school districts, and school performance. There are a few exceptions for some of the gorgeous large homes in the city, but in every little pocket of the county you'll notice high home prices = good school district.

Dawn, when I was looking to purchase a couple years back I was investigating the entire metro region and it seemed that the only things that would pop up in Brentwood would be 2Br brick homes...in all honesty, most looked like the one's down the street here in St. Ann, but they cost about $175,000...this was still before the market fully bottomed out, and may or may not be a factor depending on what the OP wants to spend.

Tofu, if you're wanting to be close to the Brentwood area, also be sure to check out Richmond Heights, and to a lesser extent Maplewood. Both great areas, Richmond Heights can be a tad bit pricier than Maplewood, but is a terrific location that would put you extremely close to Forest Park, and Brentwood. Many of the homes are gorgeous examples of 1920's Americana, and you'll still have that nice short commute to work in a quiet residential setting.

Unread 04-14-2012, 09:49 PM

711 posts, read 1,150,753 times
I'm ashamed at how little I know about Webster, but I have lived in Kirkwood for two years and can't recommend it enough. We have decided to stay in Kirkwood and afford half the house we could afford in other, further out suburbs, because we love it here so much. I live on the north end of Kirkwood near Manchester and Lindbergh, and the drive to Brentwood is a quick drive up Manchester Rd. You could probably get there in 10-20 in the morning. The commute to Brentwood from Kirkwood would be a-ok.

And with all due respect Dawn10am, Kirkwood and Webster are like small, "happening" towns that happen to be close to the city - and "further out" when comparing Brentwood and Kirkwood is a difference of a 10 minute drive. They both have vibrant, walkable, busy downtown areas. Brentwood is just a suburban city that happens to be a few minutes closer - not to mention the traffic there is horrendous (by St Louis standards). The drive to downtown is 15 minutes from Kirkwood. You are definitely correct that they are more expensive, but there's a reason for that.
Seriously though, no disrespect - just giving my opinion

Unread 04-15-2012, 08:55 PM

I like how people have described Webster Groves and Kirkwood on these forums. It sounds like the neighborhood feel I am looking for. I'm looking in the $200k or less range and it seems like there are a lot of options! I prefer an older house with character...aka...I don't mind some minor fixer uppers. I keep going back and forth between the Webster/Kirkwood area and some of the awesome homes in the Holly Hills area. I love those brick houses. I have a lot of exploring to do!!

Unread 04-15-2012, 09:02 PM

2,729 posts, read 2,257,450 times
Do your exploring and ask back if you've got questions. There are some wonderful areas around St. Louis, and a house to suit everyone!

Unread 04-16-2012, 08:51 AM

12,062 posts, read 16,951,062 times
If schools aren't of a concern, your money will typically go further in the city than most desirable 'burbs, but all of the areas in which you're looking are aolid options. Definitely feel free to ask any follow-up questions as you have them!

Unread 05-20-2012, 08:17 PM

So....I'm here now and I'll be looking around for a few days and checking out areas. I have already been questioned about why in the world would I want to move here from San Diego? Lol. I needed to come read some STL love from these forums! I guess the grass is always greener!

For me, yes, of course...I love our weather, but I could never have a home of my own there. Am I crazy? . I have been told about the heat and the crime...over and over. I have also been questioned on why do I want to live in Kirkwood or Webster Groves if I don't have kids. It seems like these are peaceful and nice neighborhoods, so why not? I think I have been talking to all the nay sayers. I'll be in Kirkwood tomorrow and find some cheerleaders!

Unread 05-20-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If schools aren't of a concern, your money will typically go further in the city than most desirable 'burbs, but all of the areas in which you're looking are aolid options. Definitely feel free to ask any follow-up questions as you have them!

. I will be checking out some other areas too...Carondelet, SoHa, Bevo...I'll be driving around the next few days to check them out. I really like some of those old houses! I keep going back and forth....

Last edited by tofuluvr; 05-20-2012 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis