Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuluvr View Post
. I will be checking out some other areas too...Carondelet, SoHa, Bevo...I'll be driving ariund the next few days to check them out. I really like some of those old houses! I keep going back and forth....
Kirkwood can be pricey, but you can find houses in your range.

It's a nice area, but so is Webster and some of the St. Louis City neighborhoods previously mentioned might fit the bill for you as well.

St. Louis is all about neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuluvr View Post
So....I'm here now and I'll be looking around for a few days and checking out areas. I have already been questioned about why in the world would I want to move here from San Diego? Lol. I needed to come read some STL love from these forums! I guess the grass is always greener!

For me, yes, of course...I love our weather, but I could never have a home of my own there. Am I crazy? . I have been told about the heat and the crime...over and over. I have also been questioned on why do I want to live in Kirkwood or Webster Groves if I don't have kids. It seems like these are peaceful and nice neighborhoods, so why not? I think I have been talking to all the nay sayers. I'll be in Kirkwood tomorrow and find some cheerleaders!
Hi,
i moved from NorCal about a year ago now- and every time someone finds out I'm from CA they ask that same question- why would you move here?! Lol. In all honesty- the people are nicer, there's no immigrations issues or budget crisis, the taxes are reasonable and it's much easier to find a great job and a nice house here.

If you're going to look at the city- spend time walking/driving around at different areas of the day/night and see how comfortable you are with it. I realized i would not be comfortable living there. Kirkwood, Webster, and Brentwood are all nice areas - i have coworkers that live in all of those places and can't say nicer things.

One thing to be mindful of is the humidity. I came out for a visit last may and it wasn't so bad. I moved in July- it was 100 degrees and humid- i was then asking myself why i moved! Once you get past that july-august heat it's not so horrible- but i predict you will be staying indoors quite a bit your first summer with the AC cranked up.

good luck!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Be sure to come back with any additional questions and/or to update us on what you decide to do!

I'd definitely recommend looking at Southampton as you mentioned as well as other neighborhoods on the Southwest side of the city like St. Louis Hills and Lindenwood Park. They're pretty much as safe as any mid county suburb would be and as you said, the housing stock is lovely. My SO fell in love with the little Gingerbread houses in SoHa the first time he saw them.

And don't worry about the nay sayers -- there are certainly some of them, but plenty of people love St. Louis and once you get settled I'm sure you'll find a network of them! The closer in to the city you live, the easier that will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis