Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,918 times

Advertisements

I work in Town and Country and currently live in a townhouse in unincorporated St. Louis County in zip code 63146 near Maryland Heights and Westport Plaza. I'm single, in my mid 30s, and am looking to purchase a new 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom ranch house around 1300-1600 sq ft. and in the $160k - $200k price range.

Ideally, I'd like to live in Maryland Heights; but there doesn't seem to be any new construction or lots available in Maryland Heights. I'm not very familiar with the area as I'm from Illinois and only moved to the area to be near work. Most of my family and friends still reside in Illinois, so I don't think I'd move any further west than the Chesterfield area. I'd also like to live in a location that is located near both Town and Country and downtown St. Louis, in case I ever change my workplace. Could anyone give me recommendations on areas to purchase a new home and live? I'm looking for somewhere quiet that still has some nightlife for a single guy like myself.

I see that there is new housing available in the Bridgeton and St. Charles areas that is in my price range. Bridgeton's nearness to the airport makes me a bit leery of living there; along with the blight that Northwest Plaza has become. But as I said, I'm not the most familiar with the area. I'd appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:22 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Given your budget and desire for new construction, I do think I'd look into the St. Charles/ St. Peters area. There's a lot of new construction south on 94 near Weldon Spring or Cottleville which would be ideal for your commute because of its easy access to Hwy 40 (I-64).

Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
You could still get a great house in Maryland Heights for your price range, even though it wouldn't be new construction as you said. At least you'd be in a safe area though and close to Westport, Harrahs, and your job in Town & Country. If I had your budget, I'd buy in Maryland Heights in a heartbeat!

As Aragx6 said though, for brand new construction you may want to venture to the St Peters / St Charles areas, or even as far as O'Fallon / Wentzville. Just be aware though that traffic back onto the St. Louis County side can be somewhat of a nightmare at peak hours.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:33 AM

^40 eastbound as well as the page extension (Hwy 364) are pretty clear for the most part. 70 and 270 are much worse.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
I've been living with a friend near Harvester & Page Extention for the last few weeks in unincorporated St Charles; there are a ton of newer homes in the area that I'm sure are within your budget. I'm not sure how much totally new construction is still going up in the area, but something built in the last 10 years should be easy enough to find. I've been driving downtown everyday (averages around 45 minutes, in case you're curious) and it probably takes me around 20-25 minutes to get to the 40/270 interchange in Town & Country. There's not much going on out there at Harvester & Page, but Main Street St Charles isn't too far away for bar hopping purposes. Page extention is pretty much completely clear, until you try to get on 270 Southbound--there's usually a stopped line of cars waiting in the right lane. 270 is also slow, but I'm sure you may have already known that.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 AM

I was trying to think where there is new contruction happening right now -- you might check out Ohmes Farm off Mid Rivers Mall Drive. It looks like their single story homes should fall right near the top of your budget. The Reserve at Bellmeade is in the same general area (though a little farther north towards 70 which is probably not ideal for your commute) and looks to be priced a touch lower. And finally, right in the area Billiken is talking about is a new subdivision called Bella Vista that would also be worth looking at.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:12 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
And finally, right in the area Billiken is talking about is a new subdivision called Bella Vista that would also be worth looking at.
Yep, I've been passing it every day...I think the sign says they start in the 160s.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,918 times
Thank you for the information everyone. I will check out the St. Charles locations this weekend. It seems that area could work well for me, especially when the construction to extend Highway 141 is completed.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 AM

36 posts, read 98,049 times
Chris, let me play Devil's Advocate here... or maybe it's Proud St Louisan.... and ask why do you want to buy a NEW house?? St Louis has some of the most beautiful architecture in the entire world -- new houses are not even in the realm of some of the architectural gems in that area. They're not as well built, they don't have any of the charm of the older homes, they're usually just bland boxes. You could have something much more wonderful if you look into renovating some of the older homes in that fair city.

I don't live there now; in fact I live in London where a 'new' house is something built around 1945. I'm just saying, don't overlook the older homes in St Louis -- there are some real jewels there. Plus, you're in your 30s... Don't you want to live where the cool people your age are???!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:02 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
I wanted to ask the same thing as Victoria27. I've got friends with new builds / relatively new builds who've had more problems or just as many problems as those with 50+ year old houses. Newer doesn't necessarily mean better.

Then again it all comes down to personal preference. I personally have an aversion to new and shiny things. I prefer older with character
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis