Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,826,158 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

Well, as my relocation back to St. Louis nears, my husband and I will be spending 10 days in the STL in May for him to enroll in college, and to kind of guage how the neighborhoods/suburbs we're interested in are doing.

Anyway, when I met my husband he was absurdly devoid of any knowledge of decent food and cuisine. "Eating Out" to him meant Cracker Barrel or Olive Garden.

Unfortunately, living in podunkmilitarytown doesn't help- with few options other than standard chain restaurants.

I've done my best over the last few years to educate his palate more- through my cooking and through new / different restaurants when we have the opportunity to travel, but I'd like to use our little vaca in St. Louis to further his knowledge of "dining out".

Due to budget constraints (we're saving up to buy a house after all!), we won't be eating out for every single meal (I plan on hitting up Schnucks or Dierbergs for cereal, stuff to make sandwiches, to cover breakfast and lunch for most days) I don't really want our meals to exceed $60 for the two of us, although one night of splurging may be on the books.

I've asked DH what types of cuisines he would like to try (with the promise that St. Louis offers almost everything you can reasonably think of) and he has requested:

"Real" Italian (aka Not Olive Garden): I was thinking Zia's on the Hill as it most closely resembles the cuisine I had during my vacations in Italy (with a St. Louis twist). Any other suggestions would be welcome though!

Spanish: The only Paella and Tapas he's ever tried is what I've cooked for him!

Eastern European/ Russian: I'm not so keen on a lot of this kind of cuisine personally, but if there is an awesome place that would fit this bill, I'd gladly try it!

German I was contemplating heading out to Wine Country / Hermann area for a day. Any suggestions of close-to-authentic German cuisine choices out that way? I know there would probably be a few!

I'd also planned on going to either Courtesy Diner or Eat Rite diner at least once (yup, I know they're greasy and the food isn't all that great, but it's an "experience" that I think my husband would enjoy!)

Ted Drewes also makes the list- even though my husband HATES custard more than anything on earth, I plan to change his mind with a Concrete!

I was also thinking about trying Pi as I never did while living in St. Louis (I wonder if it even existed when I lived there? Did I just miss it somehow?). Personally, I'd also like some suggestions for some good Vietnamese restaurants (I <3 Vietnamese food) and Thai Restaurants (I used to go to the one in Maryland Heights on Dorsett Rd, it was decent although I've had better).

Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!

I cannot WAIT to move back to St. Louis, so many amazing restaurants / cuisines to try! Ahhh hubby & I are going to get fat! LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 PM

102 posts, read 705,011 times
For good budget italian, I would go to cunettos(long waits on weekends) or if you are willing to spend a little more...trattoria marcella(get reservation). Pappys smokehouse is excellent for weekday lunch(get there early...long lines). Blues city deli is great for deli sandwiches plus fun atmosphere (again long lines). Tavolos on the delmar loop is another Italian. Also pw for pizza. These are just a few that come to mind that should satisfy your budget. Trattoria marcella is my favorite and is probably the most expensive of these, but if you don't order wine, it will fit in your budget.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,474,214 times
My suggestions that we put together for our out-of-town wedding guests:

Upscale (just in case!):

Niche (1831 Sidney Street, Benton Park)
Eleven Eleven Mississippi (1111 Mississippi Avenue, Lafayette Square)
Brasserie by Niche (4580 Laclede Avenue, Central West End)

Budget friendly:

Pappy’s Smokehouse (3106 Olive Street, Midtown)
Pi Pizzeria (Three central locations: The Loop, Washington Ave. downtown, or the Central West End)
Pho Grand (3195 South Grand Boulevard, South Grand)

Lunch:

Adriana’s (5101 Shaw Avenue, The Hill)
Blues City Deli (2438 McNair Avenue, Benton Park)
Sweetie Pie’s at the Mangrove (4270 Manchester Avenue, Forest Park Southeast – also known as The Grove)

Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,268,934 times
I have lived here since August and have tried quiet a few places. I'll list my fav's by cuisine:

Vietnamese - I'm not a great deal of help here because with me Vietnamese and Pho are synonymous. I never order anything else. That being said my favorite Pho is at a little family place in Webster Groves called Webster Garden. But I have also tried Mai Lee in Brentwood and it is very good as well. Webster Garden is more of a Chinese restaurant with Vietnamese cuisine on the menu. Mai Lee is just the opposite. All that being said, most will tell you that the best Vietnamese food can be found on South Grand. I've just not been to any of them yet.

Mexican - Without question the best Mexican food I've had is at Lilly's on Kingshighway, south I-44. La Vallesana, on Cherokee is very good as well, but is more of a casual taco stand type of atmosphere.

Italian - I second your choice of Zia's. Now Zia's and Joey B's are the only two places I've eaten on "the hill". Just avoid The Pasta House or Psghetti's. They are to Italian what Taco Bell is to Mexican.

Sandwiches - Blue's City Deli is my favorite. It's actually my favorite overall place to eat in St. Louis. As well as having the best sandwiches, their red beans and rice is better than the two "cajun" restaurants I've been to. Fozzie's Sandwich Emporium is very good as well. They have a vegetable garden in back where they grow the veggies for their sandwiches.

Cajun - 61 Roadhouse in Webster Groves is serviceable, and has an enormous menu. The food just isn't that great. Their cajun staple dishes are pretty bland. I prefer The Gumbo Shop on Manchester. But I will say I've been less impressed with them each time I've gone. My first visit I was blown away. I had the blackened orange roughy, jambalaya, and red beans and rice. In each subsequent visit the jambalaya, which is my favorit cajun dish, has been too dry.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM

551 posts, read 3,112,556 times
aragx6 gave excellent suggestions, per the usual! It's new, but I keep hearing a lot of hype about Layla Lebanese restaurant in Forest Park Southeast ("The Grove"). It looks like it might be better for dinner, but they do have a small lunch menu. Looks pretty reasonable, and might be worth a try!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM

395 posts, read 647,136 times
Actually for the best German head east! - Roemer Topf in Mascoutah IL, about 30 mins from downtown, just like going to a country gasthaus

Roemer Topf Restaurant - Mascoutah, Illinois - German, Italian, American, Lunch &amp Dinner

Now Hermann has some OK places to eat, the best is probably Vintage 1847

Stone Hill Winery :: Locations :: Hermann :: Restaurant

More informal is Hermann Wursthaus - a butcher, susage maker with a great deli counter.

Welcome to the Hermann Wurst Haus

Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,778,515 times
I'll chime in with my two cents:

I wouldn't call PI on a budget or value. I'd skip the salads there, not the best imo and overpriced, and possibly the booze which will add up there. It's good pizza. Be selective though.

Fozzie's Sandwich Emporium. Good sammies, but they overdo the sauces on their sammies so ask for light and they oblige. Sammies there are tweeners. This means too big for one, not enough for two meals. Looking at North of $10 for chips and drink for some of their sammies.

Bogart's in Soulard, or Pappy's in mid-town for BBQ.

Groceries? Some things you'll need Schnucks or Dierbergs but many others you can hit a box atore and save $. Cereal I would rarely get at a grocery store for example. All of this depends on proximity to the variety of stores.

Blues City Deli. Good tip, as is PW Pizza. Good Pie also a solid choice for pizza.

I greatly enjoy La Pizza in U City for pizza as my favorite in Stl for whole pies or slices. If not interested in a whole pizza, lunch specials include two slices and drink or slice and salad etc...

Taqueria El Bronco, for Mexican, Cherokee St in Benton Park. Good food, good value.

What matters to me when I eat are:

Taste
Value
Service
Clean

Lots of Italian options at different price points. Some are hit and miss.

Seafood Options are limited. I know some but can't strongly recommend any.
I can recommend a place for buying your seafood and cooking on your own.
Lots of steakhouses for the splurge dept. Have a couple of recs there.

For me, in Stl, it's important to be willing to go to different parts of town for your meal, and get out if your little area. The more you are willing to do this, the more satisfied you will be with your different dining experiences.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,826,158 times
Quote:
For me, in Stl, it's important to be willing to go to different parts of town for your meal, and get out if your little area. The more you are willing to do this, the more satisfied you will be with your different dining experiences
I couldn't agree with your more, I have been arranging somewhat of a plan of the places I want to eat at (again or for the first time) back in St. Louis , and I'm hoping my husband doesn't think I'm too nuts... somewhere for dinner... somewhere else for dessert... somewhere else for drinks...

Thank you all SO MUCH for your suggestions though... when I lived in St. Louis before I tried to explore new dining options as much as possible but didn't even start to scratch the surface on how many incredible options there are.

I'm having a tough time trying to fit everything I want to see/ do (and places I want to eat) into our short trip back out there... I have to keep reminding myself I'll be moving back to St. Louis in the Fall

Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,778,515 times
Yes, that's important when I'm in St. Louis. Sure sometimes people are in a hurry or can't go too far. But for me, I'm either cooking at home, or I'm going somewhere worth it.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:08 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,826,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
My suggestions that we put together for our out-of-town wedding guests:

Upscale (just in case!):

Niche (1831 Sidney Street, Benton Park)
Eleven Eleven Mississippi (1111 Mississippi Avenue, Lafayette Square)
Brasserie by Niche (4580 Laclede Avenue, Central West End)

Budget friendly:

Pappy’s Smokehouse (3106 Olive Street, Midtown)
Pi Pizzeria (Three central locations: The Loop, Washington Ave. downtown, or the Central West End)
Pho Grand (3195 South Grand Boulevard, South Grand)

Lunch:

Adriana’s (5101 Shaw Avenue, The Hill)
Blues City Deli (2438 McNair Avenue, Benton Park)
Sweetie Pie’s at the Mangrove (4270 Manchester Avenue, Forest Park Southeast – also known as The Grove)
I second this list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis