U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,657,511 times
Default Northside Regeneration: What's your opinion?

I did a search and couldn't find any threads about the Northside Regeneration project. I realize that McKee has hit some legal snags due to taxes etc, but overall, what's your opinion of the Northside Regeneration project?

NorthSide - Home Page

Do you think it should, or will go ahead? I remember there being a lot of controversy over 'Blairmont' (as they were named when I last lived in the region) buying up buildings and land and letting them fall into disrepair and decay.

I'd like to hear some current St. Louisan's insight and opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,851,831 times
I've tried for years to give McKee the benefit of the doubt, afterall he's investing where no one else will, but he's produced almost nothing to make that continued faith seem at all worth it.

He's allowing some of St. Louis' most beautiful historic homes to rot while he twiddles his thumbs on projects and buys even more land from the city with very little questioning and essentially no oversight.

I'm very torn. So we'll wait and see.

Next STL has done some of the best blogging on McKee I've seen:
St. Louis to Hand Paul McKee, NorthSide, 162 Acres of the City, Sell 34-Acre Pruitt-Igoe Site for $1M | nextSTL (http://www.nextstl.com/north-st-louis/st-louis-to-hand-paul-mckee-162-acres-of-the-city-sell-pruitt-igoe-site-for-100k - broken link)
Visualizing NorthSide and Seeking Semblance of a Land Banking Strategy in the City of St. Louis | nextSTL (http://www.nextstl.com/north-st-louis/visualizing-northside-and-seeking-semblance-of-a-land-banking-strategy - broken link)
NorthSide "Retail Opportunities" Map Gives Glimpse into Expansive Development Plan | nextSTL
Call It Conventional: A Bold Vision for the Future of the Bottle District | nextSTL
McKee's Crusade: Developer Offers Update, Eccentric Open Letter to "The People of St. Louis" | nextSTL (http://www.nextstl.com/north-st-louis/mckee-s-crusade-developer-offers-update-eccentric-open-letter-to-the-people-of-st-louis - broken link)

Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Thanks aragx6 I'll read those articles right now! Personally I think it would be AMAZING for St. Louis if McKee pulls this off... but in the meantime, you're right, he's just letting these poor old beautiful buildings rot.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 PM

31 posts, read 37,366 times
I haven't lived in my hometown for a long time but I visit often and read up on it while I'm away. I worry about what McKee is doing now -- and what he plans to do. At present, he's letting our history rot away... and in future I fear he's going to turn the northside into bland, new-build suburbs. Hope I'm wrong, but my fear is that it's going to wind up with horrible cookie-cutter houses that aren't built nearly as well (nor as charmingly) as what he's allowing to disintegrate before our eyes. Check out one of my favorite websites: Built St. Louis - Historic St. Louis Architecture - Historic Preservation, Demolition, Restoration and Abandonment of Old Buildings in Saint Louis, Missouri
Amazing stuff there, and all about St Louis..........

Old 05-03-2012, 01:55 PM

I LOVE the Built St. Louis website. When I first moved to the Lou I swear I spent hours upon hours reading through that website. Initially when I read about Blairmont (back in about 06 I believe) I thought it was disasterous. I couldn't fathom the thought of all of those beautiful buildings being left to rot away.

However, after living in St. Louis, I determined that something was surely better than nothing.

I'm of the opinion that the buildings in a lot of the areas (JeffVanderLou, St. Louis Place, etc) would have fallen into decay with or without Blairmont / McKee.

Even if it does end up being Cookie Cutter, New Town St Charles type stuff (which I despise by the way), surely something is better than nothing? Anything that can reintroduce businesses and gentrification to a dying (dead?) area is positive. I'm just hoping it gets done right!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 AM

978 posts, read 804,999 times
I don't agree with him buying up properties and letting them rot, but let's be honest. Those neighborhoods are in advanced stages of decay and abandonment and the properties probably would've rotted anyway. Since nobody else is investing in the area I say we should give him a shot. IF the plans actually come to fruition as the website shows (and that's a BIG if), it would be really amazing. People would be clamoring to live on the North Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis