Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,650 times

Advertisements

I'm considering renting "sight unseen" at the Grand View Tower on South Grand. I've done lots of online research and understand that it is probably not the best place to live in the city, but is it the worst? I'm relocating from another state and only plan to stay at the tower for a short time.

Any advice or thoughts on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,685,335 times
I would never live there. When I was a SLU student, I used to deliver meals to people in that building. The fact that plenty of people in the building need meals from charity should tell you something about the general demographic. Also, it was quite smelly.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,602,052 times
I have never been inside, but I can say it is the saddest building I may have ever seen from the outside.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I have never been inside, but I can say it is the saddest building I may have ever seen from the outside.
What do you mean by saddest? The outside reflects what billiken wrote?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,245,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieVSNoobInTown View Post
I'm considering renting "sight unseen" at the Grand View Tower on South Grand. I've done lots of online research and understand that it is probably not the best place to live in the city, but is it the worst? I'm relocating from another state and only plan to stay at the tower for a short time.

Any advice or thoughts on the area?
You could do a LOT WORSE. You could do a LOT BETTER.

The area around St. Louis University is NOT a great area and is not an area that I would like to walk alone at night. (I spent a LOT of time at the College Church when I was in St. Louis). The area has improved as the University has been actively acquiring throughout the area.

If I was on foot and living in the area, I would select on-campus housing if I was a student.

If I was NOT a student, I would live in one of the apartment complexes on S. Grand SOUTH of I-44. Some of those places are a bit nicer. However, I would probably take the bus to the campus as opposed to walking that stretch.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM

164 posts, read 377,281 times
The area in Midtown around SLU has improved quite a bit in the last several years. There are pockets of not so great areas, for sure. I wouldn't do anything sight unseen when it comes to living arrangements.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,602,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieVSNoobInTown View Post
What do you mean by saddest? The outside reflects what billiken wrote?
I've actually never known anything about the people who live there as billiken does, but I honestly think it might be the ugliest building in St. Louis -- it has a very cold, very domineering presence in Midtown and from the highway.

I personally wouldn't have any major qualms with the neighborhood, and you're very close to campus, but the building itself just doesn't strike me as a nice place to live.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:25 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,746,288 times
I have a friend who lives at The Flats at 374 (or whatever) which are right below the Grand View Tower and I haven't heard good things. Evidently there are a lot of lower-income people who live there who loiter around and yell at her. The building itself is also of the cold 60s variety, which is a turn off. You could do a lot better in STL.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:04 AM

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: