Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 12:27 AM

165 posts, read 451,372 times

Advertisements

ONSL's annual house tour is this next Saturday. Think about coming - you'll see some amazing houses, meet some wonderful people, and maybe find the desire to become a part of this dynamic neighborhood as it continues to grow.

Video:
Old North St. Louis House and Community Tour 2012 Promo - YouTube

More Info:
Old North St. Louis Blog » Blog Archive » 1 Week to Go: Old North House & Community Tour and Homegrown Street Festival on Sat., May 19

Hope to see you all there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:27 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,998 times
Awww I won't be back in St. Louis in time We're not arriving back in til Saturday evening. Looks great though! Best of luck with it! Wish I could be there!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:17 PM

396 posts, read 653,201 times
Went 2 years ago, well worth it, the housing is not as ornate as what you find on the west end or laff. sq. house tours, what makes it is the little co-op, the creative things people have done with buildings and the exurbrance of the owners.

Compton Heights tour is also this weekend

soak up these cool neighborhoods friends, most US cities in the US do not have this many of them.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,223 times
Can someone tell me more about the Old North community? I see they have done some amazing restorations of homes and businesses around the Crown Square sight but many of these buildings are still empty? Has the rejuvenation progress met expectations and are there any other developments targeted for this area? Where can I find some good business demographics and economic research about old north and the surrounding area?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
The little strip next to Crown Candy is gorgeous, however as you stated it's still empty. It definitely has potential, but most businesses that move into the neighborhood will likely need to be locally owned/operated as I don't know how many folks around the area will be taking "chances" in North St. Louis. I had lunch at Crown Candy a few weeks ago with numerous co-workers, and despite me stating that ONSL is an "up-and-coming resurgent neighborhood" most simply dismissed it as a shambled ghetto that has few options, or chances of survival...everyone liked the food at Crown Candy however.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:07 PM

396 posts, read 653,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urik View Post
Can someone tell me more about the Old North community? I see they have done some amazing restorations of homes and businesses around the Crown Square sight but many of these buildings are still empty? Has the rejuvenation progress met expectations and are there any other developments targeted for this area? Where can I find some good business demographics and economic research about old north and the surrounding area?
As someone who knows a few of the people working up there, I can tell you that the residential in Crown Sq. is about 90% filled, the commercial space is about 60% filled with 2 new tenents coming soon. Some of those commercial store fronts are actually residential.

Check with the Old North Restoration Group they can give you the whole story.

Old North St. Louis Restoration Group | Working to build an Urban Village on the Edge of Downtown St. Louis :: Home

Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
The little strip next to Crown Candy is gorgeous, however as you stated it's still empty. It definitely has potential, but most businesses that move into the neighborhood will likely need to be locally owned/operated as I don't know how many folks around the area will be taking "chances" in North St. Louis. I had lunch at Crown Candy a few weeks ago with numerous co-workers, and despite me stating that ONSL is an "up-and-coming resurgent neighborhood" most simply dismissed it as a shambled ghetto that has few options, or chances of survival...everyone liked the food at Crown Candy however.
Somehow I suspect many of them would think something similar of places like TGS as well though.

Honestly anyone who saw ONSL even 5 years ago and sees it today simply must be able to see the improvements that have been made. They're numerous.

I don't think anyone is likely to make their fortune doing small-scale development in ONSL, but for someone who wants to become involved in the true improvement of a city area, ONSL is perfect. A tight-knit community intent on improvement, easy access to downtown, and a generally well intact and beautiful housing stock.

What ONSL doesn't have going for it is a shorter list, but consists mainly of: A lousy reputation that will take a considerable amount of time to change (anything with "North" in the name in St. Louis will get folks' panties in a twist) and the fact that it's a relatively small area with no significant gentrification pushing in from any direction. A South City neighborhood like Tower Grove East has an easier time of gentrification because neighboring areas in multiple directions have also seen marked improvement.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
Totally agree, however when we've eaten in the South Grand area, or even Tin Can on Morgan Ford, but the comments were used to describe Benton Park West, which clearly has a ways to go...but in time, i think that area will gentrify pretty nicely.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:20 AM

3 posts, read 22,228 times
Default Information on ONSL Development

To Urik, If you would like information about ONSL, its development and various statistics, contact the office of the Old North Restoration Group. You will find contact information at www.onsl.org, along with a lot of information on their blog about ONSL's activities and numerous awards it has won for the work being done there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: