Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM

593 posts, read 1,411,040 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to St Louis to get closer to family. I've been saying this for awhile but now I think I'm pretty much done with Southern California. I can't continue to pay more and more money for less and less. I don't want to pay $700 a month to share a house with a bunch of people and not have room to work, or time, because I'm working 2 or 3 jobs (if I can find them) to pay rent. So I'm giving up.

I'm an artist and musician (or I was before I got stuck in California...), so I'm looking for a place with artsy musically inclined people that are out doing cool stuff, where rents are low and the architecture is awesome and still has a big city feel. I'd love a live/work loft, they exist out here in CA, but they are priced for rich people, not the real working artists who need them. Any info on live/work lofts in St Louis would be appreciated too. And where is a good place to look for them from out here, Craigslist? Any other sites?

What is the art scene like in St Louis?
And the music scene?
Do bands typically come through St Louis on tour?
Is the Loop the place to be? Or Downtown? Or somewhere else? I really liked North St Louis the last time I visited.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:04 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,605,950 times
I'll take a crack at some of your questions -- for the $700 you're spending to live with other guys now you can definitely get your own place, but I cna't immediately think of an area that would have a lot of live/work loft space type places -- I'm thinking maybe somewhere like Midtown near SLu might have something. Padmapper.com is a good resource. If you're fine with just a regular vintage apartment you can find a place in a safe neighborhood for as little as $400/month. Benton Park and it's sketchier neighbor Benton Park West are full of artists -- I think you'd like the vibe there. U City is also a solid option.

And St. Louis' music scene is pretty solid and a lot of major and minor acts come through. Here's a great article from a few years back on the impact the Pageant has had on the music scene here: The Pageant celebrates 10-year anniversary

Be sure to ask questions as you have them, and best of luck!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 AM

Thanks! I'm totally looking for a vintage apartment or house, something with character. I will check out Benton Park area. I read something about Cherokee Street, do you know anything about that area, aragx6?

Old 05-25-2012, 12:17 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,605,950 times
^That's Benton Park and Benton Park West!

BP proper is more gentrified and has like a six-block area filled with antique shops and speciality stores. West of Jefferson is BPW and while the neighborhood is sketchier, it's had an influx of Hispanics that has brought a great flavor to the neighborhood and in addition there are some great print shops and studios over there as well. I was down there for their annual Cinco de Mayo street festival and was impressed with the improvement in the area and the build up of the businesses on Cherokee Street since I'd been there two years previous.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:01 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,308 times
Cherokee Street is definitely the epicenter of the creative underground in St. Louis these days. If you're looking for cheap rents, incredible architecture, urban grit and funky, creative people, you should definitely look around Cherokee.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM

396 posts, read 652,882 times
Music scene is starting to rise again- 6 of Paste's article on the growing scene-

10 Missouri Bands You Should Listen To Now :: Blogs :: List of the Day :: Paste

Eleven is the local mag that covers the scene

Eleven Magazine | Music, Community, and Culture in St. Louis

There is also Playback STL - covers music/culture

PLAYBACK:stl

Old 05-25-2012, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,576 times
Default North St. Louis rehab works, what's up

North st. louis is coming back, old north st. louis is great. any word on upper north side off Grand Avenue, the historic water tower district? word is SLU is looking to invest in student housing and other great thing.. What's the word for the college hill community?

Last edited by msintl01; 05-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: mis spell word

Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,098 times
Head to Cherokee street. It has a lot of creative types such as artists, musicians, photographers, graphic design, etc. it is an up and coming neighborhood that is still rough around the edges. East of Jefferson Ave is more antique and vintage clothing shops. West of Jeff Ave is truly ethnic Hispanic and creatives commingling together. It's a great place that is getting better.

The Grove is also an up and coming neighborhood you may want to check out.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:54 PM

Also how is the Mexican food in St Louis? I've only lived in Arizona and California and I LOVE Mexican food. I'm worried it's going to suck when I get to St Louis. I have a cousin in STL who thinks Taco Bell is great Mexican food, so I'm very worried...

Old 05-27-2012, 06:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,005,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
Also how is the Mexican food in St Louis? I've only lived in Arizona and California and I LOVE Mexican food. I'm worried it's going to suck when I get to St Louis. I have a cousin in STL who thinks Taco Bell is great Mexican food, so I'm very worried...
If you're used to Mexican from Arizona or Southern California, you probably aren't going to find a lot of Mexican places in St. Louis you like. A lot of people will recommend La Vallesana on Cherokee street, but I actually thought it was some of the worst Mexican I've ever had. I think we've tried about 10 Mexican restaurants in the past year and only really liked one, Chava's in Benton Park. We used to eat Mexican at least twice a month, but have pretty much given up on eating out since I can cook more authentic, better tasting Mexican at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis