Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 AM

18 posts, read 20,646 times

Advertisements

I will be coming to St.Louis for my MBA in University of Washington starting this fall.
I wanted some opinions / information about the two places that my apartment hunt has narrowed down to :

1.) 727 Syracuse Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63130
- $665.00
- 880 Sq. ft.
- Walking/Cycling distance is 1 mi

2.) 710 Limit Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63130
- $695.00
- 1115 Sq. ft.
- Walking/Cycling distance is 0.9 mi

Since I don't know anyone in STL, I thought of putting up these searches here and checking with people if I need to watch out for something.
What do you guys think about these places?

Are there any better options in and around the Univ of Washington area that anyone can direct me to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 03:34 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Hi There!

Oooh two apartments near the Loop. Fun fun!

First of all- one of the responses that you're probably going to get is due to the fact that they are "North of Delmar"- a subject so controversial that even the BBC did a segment on it. However, they are only a block, and a block and a half respectively- north of Delmar so personally it wouldn't bother me (living there)- and it shouldn't bother you. It's just a silly St. Louis stigma.

Anyway, moving on:

The main problem I think with 727 Syracuse is the fact that it is on the corner of Enright, and therefore literally looks over the parking lot of Cicero's, Pubhouse, etc. In fact, this is usually where I park for a night out on The Loop! If noise and shennanigans are bothersome to you, this may be a downside. It's super convenient if you want to take a break away from your studying and have some Toasted Rav and a Schlafly's at Cicero's... but I wouldn't think it would be so beneficial otherwise, being so, so, close to the 'action'. That of course though would be your call.

As for 710 Limit Ave, it is a bit further back and there is a 'building buffer' in between you and the activities of The Loop so it may be a little quieter. I have personally never had a problem with this particular area, but I'm not sure of the Crime Statistics either (I looked on St. Louis County Crime Mapping- and it advised that University City does not report their crime statistics to the service- dang it!).

Anyway- I think either would be okay from a safety point of view... but like I said, Syracuse may have the potential to be noisy.

It seems that apartments are definitely more affordable North of Delmar! If I were you though (and I have a high noise tolerance) I would probably search for something a little further away from the loop (just a block or two further than what you've been looking at) for a quieter area.

Good luck, and I hope some kind folks on here can help you more than I can!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 AM

I did a quick search for Apartments on Craigslist near Wash U. and came up with the following:

6652 Washington Ave (3 blocks from Wash U- South of Delmar.)

745 Leland Ave (a bit further back than the ones you found- although still North of Delmar)

800 Kingsland Ave (same deal as above)

7270 Forsyth Ave (south of Delmar, less than 1/2 mile from Wash U. More expensive but fab location)

Old 06-06-2012, 05:56 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Hi There!
(I looked on St. Louis County Crime Mapping- and it advised that University City does not report their crime statistics to the service- dang it!).
Isn't the fact that University City does not report its crime statistics a report in itself? It tells me a lot.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:33 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
The north of Delmar demarcation is really only at all valid in the city. In U City it's a non starter -- there are a lot of great apartments north of Delmar in the U City loop. I'd have no real concerns about safety -- it's a urban area and a destination neighborhood so petty crimes do occur, but violent crime is rare.

The point about being directly near the heart of the western edge of the loop is a valid one from glamatomic for the Syracuse apartment, but I honestly doubt it would be terribly loud most of the time. Then again, I've lived on some loud streets in hopping neighborhoods so take that into consideration.

Limit is a nice street filled pretty much entirely with vintage apartment buildings -- most of them from all I've seen are well kept. A friend of mine lived over there several years back but I can't remember his actual address anymore. He never had any problems and he was an easy walk to everything on the Loop. The extra square footage would certainly be nice too!

Feel free to ask any more questions as you have them, and best of luck!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:24 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post

Isn't the fact that University City does not report its crime statistics a report in itself? It tells me a lot.
I have utilized that service, and if it matters, I don't believe any towns in the county link their crime statistics to this website. It's merely the city proper.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:28 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,282 times
It's a total toss up. Both are student neighborhoods from which one could easily stumble home from Blueberry Hill or any other Loop watering hole. I'd lean toward the Limit option for the simple reason of that block having more/bigger trees for curb side shade than Syracuse - I'm a big fan of tree lined streets. On the other hand, the Syracuse location is right next to the U City Library, and on maybe a bit close to the center of the Loop action. From Syracuse you walk through Ames Place to get to campus, which is a beautiful neighborhood. So is Parkview, which you would traverse to get to campus from Limit. I think you're fine with either one, but I'd probably go with Limit.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 AM

[quote=glamatomic;24621069]

6652 Washington Ave

(3 blocks from Wash U- South of Delmar.)

quote]

Glamatomics 6652 Washington find looks might nice to me.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 AM

Actually a lot of the areas in the county *do* provide their crime statistics. Maryland Heights, Creve Coeur, Florissant and Hazelwood I know for sure do, in addition to some of the smaller municipalities.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Crime definitely happens in the area - anybody remember this terrible story? Might be the building the OP scoped out on Syracuse. Grad student in critical condition after off-campus assault | Student Life That one seemed to be swept under the rug from a media standpoint, unlike the cop who was shot to death in front of the Starbuck's or the more recent shootout in front of Church's chicken caught on the nightly news. Not to be a fear monger, because I don't think it is worse than an average large urban university, but you'd be fooling yourself big time to say there is no crime in and around the Loop. I still love the area and take my kids there frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis