Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 PM

529 posts, read 1,002,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
I would agree with Jefferson County - I "think" that the commute in 55 is easier than the other (44, 64, 70). If you chose Illlinois, be warned of peak traffic volumes on bridges, though with a new bridge, it may ease things a bit.

There are wonderful outdoor activities in Missouri - and I love the state parks off US 67 south of St. Louis! Jefferson County would put you close to these!!
Agree, 55 is easier than 44 and 70. 40 (64) is the worst.

If you are going to live in Illinois then I would recommend the areas that the earlier poster mentioned, like Columbia, Milstadt and Waterloo. You can avoid the Poplar Street Bridge and cross into MO on the JB and there are never any backups on that span. And you can be in the middle of farms and countryland and still just be 20-30 minutes from downtown in most of those areas except Waterloo. The MO side is more developed so you have to go further out to find similar rural country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,838,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Well, you can take it up with Google Maps then, since according to them it is 40 miles away.
The highway signs on 55 for the last 40 years have said Festus is 30 miles from STL.
Unless they moved Hillsboro and no one noticed, Hillsboro is still north of Festus.
Google made a mistake.
-shrugs-

Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,923,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The highway signs on 55 for the last 40 years have said Festus is 30 miles from STL.
Unless they moved Hillsboro and no one noticed, Hillsboro is still north of Festus.
Google made a mistake.
-shrugs-
I guess they did move Hillsboro, because when I look at a map its more West of Festus, not North.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I guess they did move Hillsboro, because when I look at a map its more West of Festus, not North.
See below, we have already had this conversation.
Quote:
Um, you say you're from STL?
How do you not know this already?
I've made that drive literally thousands of times, Hillsboro is neither 40 miles out of STL, nor is it a 55 minute commute from downtown STL.
Festus is 29.6 miles from downtown, Hillsboro is north and slightly west of Festus.
I grew up in Sainte Genevieve, THATS a 55 minute commute to downtown STL.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,923,867 times
Quote:
See below, we have already had this conversation.
Yeah, I mostly ignored that since I'm not sure what you meant by it and the smilies always throw me off. Are they meant to be sarcastic? Serious? I just don't know.

I was born in St Louis, and grew up in St. Charles. I don't have a whole lot of experience with South County, but I do know how to read a map. Maps are usually pretty accurate, maybe they're off a little, but I doubt they are off by miles.

When you are used to a drive, things always seem closer. When I lived in St. Charles, downtown St. Louis didn't seem that far away. I used to go to concerts and forest park at least a few times a week. If someone had said its 30 miles away, I would have called them out on it, it seemed like maybe 15 miles at most. I moved away for a few years, and then moved closer to the city. I hardly ever go out to St Charles anymore, and when I do it feels like it takes forever. I have no doubt that it is 30 miles away. Just driving between 270 and the Daniel Boone bridge feels like 30 miles sometimes.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:49 AM

18 posts, read 45,958 times
I've actually heard some great things about Defiance and other towns in that area, but I'm worried about the commute. At my husband's last job in Indpls he commuted an hour each way and it was just awful. We're torn between living in the place we want and him not being there enough to enjoy it! I think we're planning to drive there if he gets the offer and spend a weekend before making the move - just to check things out - but...is there any kind of 'drive share' program in St. Louis for people living in the outer suburbs? Just curious...that would've made his life a lot easier here.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I mostly ignored that since I'm not sure what you meant by it and the smilies always throw me off. Are they meant to be sarcastic? Serious? I just don't know.

I was born in St Louis, and grew up in St. Charles. I don't have a whole lot of experience with South County, but I do know how to read a map. Maps are usually pretty accurate, maybe they're off a little, but I doubt they are off by miles.

When you are used to a drive, things always seem closer. When I lived in St. Charles, downtown St. Louis didn't seem that far away. I used to go to concerts and forest park at least a few times a week. If someone had said its 30 miles away, I would have called them out on it, it seemed like maybe 15 miles at most. I moved away for a few years, and then moved closer to the city. I hardly ever go out to St Charles anymore, and when I do it feels like it takes forever. I have no doubt that it is 30 miles away. Just driving between 270 and the Daniel Boone bridge feels like 30 miles sometimes.
I wasnt being sarcastic at all, if I had been, you would have known it.
I was born in STL, my father taught me how to calculate mileage before I could drive legally.
That how I know what I am speaking of, as I was probably calculating the mileage between all the little towns on the way to STL before you were born.
I have never gone by how far away someplace "feels" I actually use the odometer.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 AM

587 posts, read 1,097,612 times
Here is a link to Ridefinders: RideFinders - Home Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosewichte View Post
I've actually heard some great things about Defiance and other towns in that area, but I'm worried about the commute. At my husband's last job in Indpls he commuted an hour each way and it was just awful. We're torn between living in the place we want and him not being there enough to enjoy it! I think we're planning to drive there if he gets the offer and spend a weekend before making the move - just to check things out - but...is there any kind of 'drive share' program in St. Louis for people living in the outer suburbs? Just curious...that would've made his life a lot easier here.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM

50 posts, read 81,924 times
Most of the STL burbs are going to be under 50,000.

There are some places in Arnold (population in the 20k ballpark) that would offer over an acre but the houses might not be completely up-to-date. They have a nice rec center, easy access to the Meremac River if your family enjoys boating, and it would be a straight shot from 55 to downtown STL.

Barnhart would offer property at a slightly lower price point- but it is a pretty small town- under 6,000 people. It is just south of Arnold.

Love the suggestions of Eureka- it has excellent proximity to a lot of major parks for mountain biking, trails.

Is there a specific size of a lot that you would want?

Best of luck with your move to STL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis