Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,469 times

Advertisements

My husband is starting a career with Edward Jones as a financial advisor and we are deciding what area to move to (which will be where his office will be and therefore we will be for a very, very long time). We currently live in St. Charles and while we like it here we don't want to be here forever. We are looking for an area with a strong sense of community, great schools, moderate housing costs and access to the city. Because of his career it is important that we are in an area that is currently growing and has a trend to continue in growth. We really want a somewhat urban area with a small community feel. We absolutely love Kirkwood but it is not affordable- atleast for us. After our research we have narrowed down our choices to Edwardsville and Eureka. Both communities seem to be comparable. Obviously Edwardsville is slightly further from our family, friends and favorite hangouts in the central and south counties but may have a larger trend for growth. We have to make a decision in the next 3 days. Can anyone provide any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 07:50 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,391 times
Actually, Eureka is still surprisingly affordable, and is a great area to live. Easy access to St. Louis, near local and state parks, and shopping from old town Eureka to the strip along Hwy. 44. One of my favorite restaurants is in old town Eureka called Joe Bacardis. Best pizza & Italian food around.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:29 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,588 times
Check all of my posts and you can find out a lot about Edwardsville. We moved here almost 5 years ago and love it. It is a great family-oriented community. We have SIUE here, a huge bike-trail system, new YMCA and a school system with an outstanding reputation. I have children in the elementary schools, and we have been very pleased thus far. The town is growing, and we have seen a lot of new biz come to town recently. We spend a lot of time at Blues games and Cards games, and we can get from our driveway to to our seats in about 30 minutes.

Have you been to Edwardsville yet? If not, I recommend you take a quick drive over and visit. If you and your husband can get an evening out before you have to decide - I know it is soon- come over and eat at Neruda's or Bella Milano. Follow the evening up with a stop at Eratos on Main wine bar. Prior to that, take a ride down Goshen Road to check out the new YMCA with the Rock-Climbing wall, gymnastics room and skating rink. It is a great facility, and they would be happy to give you a tour. I also recommend checking out the newer Glen Carbon Library and drive down St. Louis Street in Edwardsville. Be sure to check out the Bike Trail website at: " + theTitle + ".

Sounds like you have two great towns to choose from. I hope this is information you can find helpful as you make your decision. Good luck! I think you will be a winner no matter where you choose.

Best to you!

Old 10-02-2007, 04:29 PM

285 posts, read 1,067,838 times
Eureka is a pretty decent drive to downtown where Edward Jones is located, however. Eureka is a bit too country for me, and I would hate to deal with that Six Flags traffic all summer. I don't know though, I could be way off, I've only been there (Eureka) for Six Flags trips, so Im definitely no expert.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 PM

8 posts, read 30,017 times
I grew up in Eureka, although I don't live in MO anymore. I was just there the first week of September 2007, and it has grown some, I wouldn't say a lot though. I can't speak for the schools this day and age, but they seemed good when I went there; although, I was the one your mother warned you about when I went to school there but have since reformed. Eureka is about 25 min. from downtown St. Louis if I recall correctly. Six Flags over mid-America is there. I might live there again. It's definitely the small town feel, so if you're used to having everything convenient and a wide variety of shopping, like here is So Cal., then you won't want to be there. Of course, convenient to me is everything within 1 or 2 miles of your door. Hope that helps.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:46 PM

8 posts, read 30,017 times
Me again. Oh yeah, and Joe Bacardi's restaurant is FABULOUS and still there after all these years! I'm 41 now and it was there when I was like 12 and probably way before then even! ciao

Old 10-02-2007, 11:07 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice13610 View Post
Eureka is a pretty decent drive to downtown where Edward Jones is located, however. Eureka is a bit too country for me, and I would hate to deal with that Six Flags traffic all summer. I don't know though, I could be way off, I've only been there (Eureka) for Six Flags trips, so Im definitely no expert.
Edward Jones has offices downtown but most of their offices are located in Maryland Heights and brokers offices are all over, so who knows where her husband will be. They do have a dome downtown though It is not far to get from Eureka to Maryland Heights, and the Six Flags traffic is pretty much miles west of the Eureka exit.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 27,718 times
Eureka is the rockwood school district which is 3rd best in the state! the schools are amazing drive by and check them out! I live in ballwin and we too are considering living in eureka!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM

285 posts, read 1,067,838 times
Oh I think I get it now. He is OPENING an EJ office and wnts a good location.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
Actually, Eureka is still surprisingly affordable, and is a great area to live. Easy access to St. Louis, near local and state parks, and shopping from old town Eureka to the strip along Hwy. 44. One of my favorite restaurants is in old town Eureka called Joe Bacardis. Best pizza & Italian food around.
Best Pizza in STL is at La Pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis