Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 01:26 PM

69 posts, read 135,435 times

Advertisements

The area between Forest Park and Delmar Blvd I see houses selling for 400-500k and right next door similar houses seem to go for 150k? I found this house:
4 Beverly Pl, Saint Louis, MO 63112 MLS# 12022675 - Zillow
And it seems ridiculously cheap. It is right off Delmar on the North side of the street. These houses all seem to be built for the World's Fair around 1900.
I also see homes around the park that sold for 20k but are valued at 225k+
A few blocks norht of Delmar the property values seem to fall off a cliff - does a criminal element work its way down to houses around the park and cause mischief and worse? I am very intrigued by this area!
Here is a 20k house one block from the park valued at over 225k!:
5914 Waterman Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63112 - Zillow
Thanks in advance!
Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 02:46 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
The house on Beverly is north of Delmar, which you're obviously realizing is a very important demarcation line in the city, so it's technically in the Visitation Park neighborhood which has some issues. Beverly itself also happens to be an absolutely stunning, generally well maintained street -- though that house in particular likely needs a great deal of $ and work because it's so large and looks to be running a touch ragged. I think it could be a great purchase however.

I do not believe for one second that house on Waterman sold for so little -- it's either a Zillow error (which I find happens frequently) or it was some sort of selling to a family member type situation. Skinker-Debaliviere is quickly becoming one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city because of its lovely housing stock, safety, diversity, public transit and Forest Park access and all-around walkability.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:05 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times
You must be new here

Delmar is pretty much the official boundary between the "good" part of town and the "bad" part of town, which is why houses are so much more expensive just south of it and dirt cheap (for what they are) just north of it. That said, you could probably pick up a beauty not more than a block or two north of it for less than half the price you'd pay for the same house on the other side, as long as you don't mind living "north of Delmar."

Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,282 times
Yeah that's a Zillow error on 5914 Waterman- according to the City Assessor database it sold for $212,000 in 2009. That's a nice block lined with beautiful brick arts and crafts bungalows - I'd live there in a heart beat. Some crime in the area but not terrible at all. North of Delmar is kind of a non-starter for most posters on this board. I do know a lot of affluent folks live on Windermere, which is just a couple blocks north of Beverly - Windermere is a truly beautiful street, but it is totally an exception. That Beverly address would be right off Delmar which I would consider a big negative, it would just seem like an easy target for break-ins. Pretty street scape, I agree, but probably a little too risky for me. In general, the area north of FP but south of Delmar is block to block, but mostly nice. There is some crime, particularly near the metrolink station at DeBaliviere and FPP from what I understand, but I don't think it is too bad.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 PM

165 posts, read 451,331 times
The Beverly house is gorgeous, the street looks great, and the brick patio/backyard is incredible. I would love to live there. A lot of people will try to scare you away from anything north of Delmar, but that's pretty outdated thinking. Don't walk alone after midnight, don't become a prostitute or join a gang and don't buy/sell drugs on the street and you'll be absolutely fine.

What a fantastic home.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:31 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times
North of delmar is considered the line between the good and bad part of st.louis city. Its not even funny how much of a transition happens within traveling from 1 side to the other.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
North of delmar is considered the line between the good and bad part of st.louis city. Its not even funny how much of a transition happens within traveling from 1 side to the other.
People love to say that and it's often true but Beverly Place, if you haven't been down it, is a gorgeous street, and as I said, quite well maintained. There is certainly something to be said for preferring perhaps to be more mid block than this house, but personally I think it's worthy of consideration for someone accustomed to urban living. And, frankly, a good home security system and a dog are a must.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Waterman, Portland and Westmoreland(east of Union) are three of the pre-eminent streets in CWE. Homes there are all north of 1 million dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis