Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:15 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times

Advertisements

Some time ago, we had a discussion about a theatre or music hall in St Louis where an opera was being shown - I think on film. Much of the talk was about the difficulty of getting to the building, something about walking a block or two through a rather uncomfortable area. Some people were saying they didn't feel safe there. Also, that the acoustics are bad in the building. Please tell me - that wasn't Powell Hall, was it?

Thank you. Hazel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I don't remember the conversation you're specifically talking about but I don't think Powell shows anything on film, the neighborhood is of very little concern -- especially on event nights when there will be plenty of others around -- and the acoustics are generally considered to be quite good, so I suspect Powell isn't what was being spoken of. I do think parking is probably problematic in that direct area when there is a concert, but I wouldn't be too concerned (and you probably wouldn't be driving anyway, correct?)

Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I don't remember the conversation you're specifically talking about but I don't think Powell shows anything on film, the neighborhood is of very little concern -- especially on event nights when there will be plenty of others around -- and the acoustics are generally considered to be quite good, so I suspect Powell isn't what was being spoken of. I do think parking is probably problematic in that direct area when there is a concert, but I wouldn't be too concerned (and you probably wouldn't be driving anyway, correct?)

Thank you. I am likely thinking of another place. Maybe the discussion was at Talk Classical as the theatre was showing a Wagner opera. It's too long ago to search for. We will be going to Powell Hall tonight which brought back memories of the comments. Something was said about having to walk quite a distance. No, I'll not be driving but the friend I am going with will be.

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 AM

The Symphony Orchestra Web site has good info on parking:

Quote:
Grand Center operates several parking lots near Powell Hall in the Grand Center Arts District.

Powell Hall is located at 718 North Grand Boulevard in the Grand Center mid-town arts district. Grand Boulevard is accessed off of I-64 or I-70. I-64 is the closest interstate access. Due to excessive traffic on Grand Boulevard on concert nights, we suggest using alternative streets including Compton and Vandeventer.Two parking lots serve the immediate area around Powell Hall -- the Veterans Administration lot (available concert evenings and weekends only), located North of the hall off of Delmar Boulevard, and the Grand Center Blue Lot, located along the South side of the hall off of Samuel Shepard. Both lots are accessed by turning East off of North Grand Boulevard on to Delmar Boulevard or Samuel Shepard.
STL Symphony - Directions

Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Thank you. I am likely thinking of another place. Maybe the discussion was at Talk Classical as the theatre was showing a Wagner opera. It's too long ago to search for. We will be going to Powell Hall tonight which brought back memories of the comments. Something was said about having to walk quite a distance. No, I'll not be driving but the friend I am going with will be.

Thanks.
Ah - you're going to the St. Louis Symphony's "rally concert" for their upcoming European tour - lucky you!!! I have to work. Major bummer.

The concert will be GREAT!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
The Symphony Orchestra Web site has good info on parking:

STL Symphony - Directions

Thanks. Off topic, for certain but whenever I see your location of "Volker", I remember the houses which, at one time, were for professors at a nearby college. Then, students lived in them. It was a nice, cozy little area. That was long ago. :-)

Hazel

Old 08-28-2012, 10:35 AM

It's definitely still nice and cozy and has the additional bonus of some great restaurants along 39th Street. We really wouldn't prefer any other KC neighborhood. I'm glad you have pleasant memories of the place

Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
It's definitely still nice and cozy and has the additional bonus of some great restaurants along 39th Street. We really wouldn't prefer any other KC neighborhood. I'm glad you have pleasant memories of the place
I am so glad to know it is still there. Wasn't there talk at one time of clearing those houses out and doing something different to the neighborhood? Seems to me there was some fussing about such an idea. I cannot remember. Was it a university nearby or a hospital?

The old neighborhoods are so much nicer - more natural looking, a friendlier feel to them even if you don't live there. Newer communities are "cold". I suppose they need time to develop a personality of there own. Mostly, to me, they need some trees. Trees do make a big difference and your area had them.

Back to work here. Enjoy your home.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
We will be going to Powell Hall tonight which brought back memories of the comments. Something was said about having to walk quite a distance. No, I'll not be driving but the friend I am going with will be.

Thanks.
I will be going tonight too! I've never been to Powell Hall, so I'm pretty excited. We went to their free concert last year, but it was in Forest Park. It was a great concert, but I've heard they sound even better in Powell Hall with the acoustics.

Parking shouldn't be much of an issue. Powell Hall is only about a block away from the Fox Theatre, and I've never had a problem finding close parking at the numerous shows I've been to there. There are plenty of surface lots and parking garages.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I am so glad to know it is still there. Wasn't there talk at one time of clearing those houses out and doing something different to the neighborhood? Seems to me there was some fussing about such an idea. I cannot remember. Was it a university nearby or a hospital?

The old neighborhoods are so much nicer - more natural looking, a friendlier feel to them even if you don't live there. Newer communities are "cold". I suppose they need time to develop a personality of there own. Mostly, to me, they need some trees. Trees do make a big difference and your area had them.

Back to work here. Enjoy your home.
There has been some expansion of Ku Med in recent years, but Volker mostly gets saved from any major clearing out because we're on the MO side. There is a lot of increased density on Rainbow Blvd now -- a brand new hotel for one -- but most of the little frame houses that make up the bulk of Volker remain untouched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis