U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 03:44 PM

3,567 posts, read 2,367,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Esperanto View Post
I go to Chicago frequently. That must explain why I have a group of friends up there that I always go partying/clubbing with. Yep. Mhm. Must be the fact that I can't make friends.

I found people in Chicago's southwest suburbs to be much more inviting than people from St. Louis. They always made offers to hang out at another point in time, business cards, contact info, etc. People in St. Louis seem odd and very uninviting.

By the way, St. Louis has 1 nightclub that I would consider worthy of the title 'nightclub'. ONE. (Europe just off Washington Ave). That is absolutely PATHETIC for a metro area of 2.7 million people. And it's frequented by Bosnian gangsters although I don't have anything against Bosnians at all necessarily.
Well, I don't know anything about the nightclub scene. But if in-person you're anything like you are online, I'm not at all surprised you have difficulty making friends. Good luck moving somewhere with more "worthy" nightclubs, mate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 04:01 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,865,117 times
One of my fondest business trips was one to STL for a week a few years ago. Arrived on a Monday, had a beautiful red head showing me around town (among other things) by Tuesday. We spent the rest of the week together and then she came down to visit me when I was living in Texas a month later.

Point of the story is, you are probably giving off a vibe of desperation, bitterness, aggravation or other negative energy among other things. Don't think you can hide that stuff. Members of the opposite sex pick that stuff up consciously and subconsciously.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,047,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Well, I don't know anything about the nightclub scene. But if in-person you're anything like you are online, I'm not at all surprised you have difficulty making friends. Good luck moving somewhere with more "worthy" nightclubs, mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
One of my fondest business trips was one to STL for a week a few years ago. Arrived on a Monday, had a beautiful red head showing me around town (among other things) by Tuesday. We spent the rest of the week together and then she came down to visit me when I was living in Texas a month later.

Point of the story is, you are probably giving off a vibe of desperation, bitterness, aggravation or other negative energy among other things. Don't think you can hide that stuff. Members of the opposite sex pick that stuff up consciously and subconsciously.
Yeah, these. You're coming off as a hilariously pompous (from Miami!!!!!! ) and unlikable person, if you are really this way in real life people are right not to want to be your friend.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 5,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Yeah, these. You're coming off as a hilariously pompous (from Miami!!!!!! ) and unlikable person, if you are really this way in real life people are right not to want to be your friend.
Yep. Because I'm sure you fellas think that I'm running around town, telling people what a dump their town is and expecting them to be my friend. I'm not the OP, I'm not the one going "I can't find a GF here in town, woe is me, waah waaah waaah". I'm simply pointing out that your town sucks because of some observations that myself and a LOT of other "transplants" have made and that their grievances hold water. [mod]inappropriate language[/mod

Last edited by Marka; 01-11-2015 at 03:30 AM..

Old 01-10-2015, 04:26 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,047,595 times
^ You need to work in how you're from Miami more, that's very impressive!

Old 01-10-2015, 04:50 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,386,914 times
Quote:

And it's frequented by Bosnian gangsters although I don't have anything against Bosnians at all necessarily.
So how are Bosnian women?

Old 01-15-2015, 04:17 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,222,000 times
Quote:
As an outsider, single male who moved to St. Louis 2 1/2 years ago from one of the best and most important partying and business cities in not just the United States but probably the Western Hemisphere (starts with an "M" and ends in "iami")
The only thing accurate about that statement is the partying aspect. Miami isn't even the most important city from a financial or business aspect in the South, let alone the Western hemisphere.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 3,123 times
I am a native Californian (female) that moved here in 2009 and I can say that the part about being an outsider is true. The people here are nice 'enough', but are very involved with their friends and family from elementary school. Most of my friends are transplants like myself and we all have the same experience with making friends with the natives here. Now, that does not mean that I don't have any native St. Louisan friends, but they are few and far between who also agree that making friends here is a difficult task for anyone! In any case, my saving grace was my church. My friends mainly consist of the people from my church and I love them dearly. You should visit us sometime. Gateway City Church on Woodson Terrace Rd.

As for the dating pool, I thankfully do not have to brave that issue for myself, but it is by far the most awful scene I have ever seen! The men and women here are terrible to one another! I have lived in MANY different places due to being a Navy Veteran. I have even lived internationally and I can say the dating scene here is rough! Good luck singles of both sexes!

I too have been followed by an angry motorist to my final destination to be cussed at! Mind you, she ran the red light as I was making a left on MY green light. She followed me and told me that she had to stop short and her child (who was not strapped in) flew to the front of the car. Mind you, this child was still not strapped in after she followed me to cuss at me with her crew in the car. I ignored her and she was about to drive off, she put her car into reverse and then cussed me out again claiming that one of 'girlz' heard me call her the 'B' word! I responded that I don't even know you, why on Earth would I call you out of your name?? I happen to be an adult! I don't play those type of childish games! She continued to protest and insist that I called her out of her name, I again said that I am too grown for such behavior and noted that I had not even once cussed at her in this entire exchange. I suppose at this point she felt like an idiot and proceeded to drive off.

In any case, I have noticed that this poor city is just angry and out to look for confrontation. I don't quite understand it myself, but as I mentioned earlier, there are also some wonderful people in this city, but you truly will not find them at the local clubs/night life. You should sign up for local meet up activities, you may find what you are looking for there.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:49 AM

5,611 posts, read 6,084,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones51002 View Post
I am a native Californian (female) that moved here in 2009 and I can say that the part about being an outsider is true. The people here are nice 'enough', but are very involved with their friends and family from elementary school. Most of my friends are transplants like myself and we all have the same experience with making friends with the natives here. Now, that does not mean that I don't have any native St. Louisan friends, but they are few and far between who also agree that making friends here is a difficult task for anyone! In any case, my saving grace was my church. My friends mainly consist of the people from my church and I love them dearly. You should visit us sometime. Gateway City Church on Woodson Terrace Rd.

As for the dating pool, I thankfully do not have to brave that issue for myself, but it is by far the most awful scene I have ever seen! The men and women here are terrible to one another! I have lived in MANY different places due to being a Navy Veteran. I have even lived internationally and I can say the dating scene here is rough! Good luck singles of both sexes!

I too have been followed by an angry motorist to my final destination to be cussed at! Mind you, she ran the red light as I was making a left on MY green light. She followed me and told me that she had to stop short and her child (who was not strapped in) flew to the front of the car. Mind you, this child was still not strapped in after she followed me to cuss at me with her crew in the car. I ignored her and she was about to drive off, she put her car into reverse and then cussed me out again claiming that one of 'girlz' heard me call her the 'B' word! I responded that I don't even know you, why on Earth would I call you out of your name?? I happen to be an adult! I don't play those type of childish games! She continued to protest and insist that I called her out of her name, I again said that I am too grown for such behavior and noted that I had not even once cussed at her in this entire exchange. I suppose at this point she felt like an idiot and proceeded to drive off.

In any case, I have noticed that this poor city is just angry and out to look for confrontation. I don't quite understand it myself, but as I mentioned earlier, there are also some wonderful people in this city, but you truly will not find them at the local clubs/night life. You should sign up for local meet up activities, you may find what you are looking for there.

Good luck!
The dating scene here sucks for me too. As a gay man everyone wants sex. No one dates in the gay community.

I'm a boomerang St. Louisian. I notice the natives in the suburbs are angry and very negative. Two traits that I can't stand. Basically I only deal with transplants as well. Never go to the suburbs except when I have to. But to be honest with you the same "natives and transplants" story can be given in every city I've lived in.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:01 PM

851 posts, read 851,337 times
I'm joining this thread way too late to help OP Wolfman85 but as a *3* time STL visitor, I wanted to suggest a few things to others in the same pickle as Wolfie.

1. If you pronounce it "Street Louie" the locals will know you're "BLVD".
2. A fair number of the fun and friendly gal$ hang out across the river in the ESL clubs.
3. My fave singles spot is MoBot, especially in the carnivorous plant section. (kinda makes sense)
4. Get a puppy and walk it around Washington Univ. The puppy doesn't even have to be cute. (how hard is that!)

ps kind of interesting that most of those agreeing with OP Wolfe are new / low post count...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis