Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:45 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

^ This made me laugh. For a long time.

If you want to hear a true St. Louis accent find a radio broadcast of the Cardinals radio network in 15 minutes when the wild card game starts. Mike Shannon is as St. Louis as it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM

396 posts, read 653,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
How to speak St. Louis-ese:

Befar we go to the stahr, wouldja warsh dem farks overdare in d'zink? And doya think dis melk is sahr? Far Pete's sake, it's only been in the ice box 'bout fahr days. Guess I'll write melk, flahr, and park steaks on the groshry list. Hey... on ahr way to the stahr, we could drive through Farest Park and lookit the golf carse!
Don't farget yah needa qwaters far da soda masheen - said through a very nasal tone, heard a lot of people talk like this as a kid, not so much these days.

Even when people try to replicate it now they do not do it right. it was highway "fardy" with a short "a" sound, everyone who makes fun of it now says it with a long "a" to sound more like fart. of course it needs to be said "witt da high nasal tone"

"wasent dat gooey butter cake garrjuss"

My father took me to a many south side taverns as a child

Old 10-05-2012, 03:58 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACalifornian View Post
I've been reading up on American accents. It's fascinating how many of them there are and, as I found out recently, St. Louis has its own distinctive dialect. I hardly heard anyone who speaks with such an accent. I'm curious, how common is it, particularly among young people? I know a person on YouTube from St. Louis, and while he speaks with an odd accent I don't think it really sounds like the STL accent.

Blue Point Security - Deny The Unknown? - YouTube

At the beginning of the video, the way he says "antivirus" and "dash" kind of reminds me of the stereotypical Wisconsin accent. Either way, it sounds nothing like the Southern offshoot I was reading about. Is the accent evolving? Has it changed entirely?
I have a very strong ear for accents. From time to time I will hear something that sounds like a hybrid of Chicago and Minnesota. I usually guess Minnesota, but the vowels are not *quite* as long, but many times it has been a St. Louis accent.

20yrsinBRanson

Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,834 times
St.Louis accents are rare even among the old. Ive met people with st.louis accents but its a dying accent as the people with accents die off. Its not like the NYC accent or west coast accent which will exist even 100 years from now.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:22 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
1greatcity: Exaggerated, but nonetheless hilarious. And not without elements of truth.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
St.Louis accents are rare even among the old. Ive met people with st.louis accents but its a dying accent as the people with accents die off. Its not like the NYC accent or west coast accent which will exist even 100 years from now.
As an outsider i disagree. The accent is still there - even with elementary school aged kids.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:44 PM

147 posts, read 383,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
It's very slight and only really common among people my parents age (50's) and older. The only major characteristic is the the R in words with "sh" in it such as WARSHINGTON" for Washington and the R sound in words that should have more of a O sound. For example highway FARDY FAR instead of Forty Four, but it's not as blatant as that, it's usually more subtle and said quickly.

Most young people speak with a neutral "news anchor" accent.
I agree. Even among older residents, it's less common (or noticeable) among the educated.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:11 PM

30 posts, read 43,154 times
I think having any sort of "St Louis style" accent is an indicator of education and intelligence. Actually, having any sort of accent based on mispronunciation of words is an indicator. The more knowledge of correct grammar, enunciation, pronunciation -the less accent of any sort one will have.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 PM

272 posts, read 786,607 times
The accent lives. It's most obvious in "or" and "ar" words and the blending of the two. "Former farmer born in a corn barn" tends to sound like "Farmer farmer barn in a carn barn." I visit my hometown every year and hear it among family members and strangers alike. I used to hate it and tried scrubbing it from my diction, but as I've gotten older I've grown to appreciate its charm.

I've often wondered if that particular accent case is the result of the Irish influx into the area from 1840-1870. One can still here "or" pronounced "ar" in contemporary Irish, and it's similar to the accent prevalent around Boston, another place the Irish heavily settled. But it's more abrupt - the sounds don't drag out as long as in Boston - possibly due to the influx of Germans around the same time as the Irish, making it sound very similar to the Wisconsin and Minnesotan accents.

Ask native St. Louisans who have "emigrated" to other areas. They'll tell you whether the locals notice their accents. Several of us who settled in southern California often humored others with our pronunciation of "quarter."

Old 10-06-2012, 09:42 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskirwin View Post
The accent lives. It's most obvious in "or" and "ar" words and the blending of the two. "Former farmer born in a corn barn" tends to sound like "Farmer farmer barn in a carn barn." I visit my hometown every year and hear it among family members and strangers alike. I used to hate it and tried scrubbing it from my diction, but as I've gotten older I've grown to appreciate its charm.

I've often wondered if that particular accent case is the result of the Irish influx into the area from 1840-1870. One can still here "or" pronounced "ar" in contemporary Irish, and it's similar to the accent prevalent around Boston, another place the Irish heavily settled. But it's more abrupt - the sounds don't drag out as long as in Boston - possibly due to the influx of Germans around the same time as the Irish, making it sound very similar to the Wisconsin and Minnesotan accents.

Ask native St. Louisans who have "emigrated" to other areas. They'll tell you whether the locals notice their accents. Several of us who settled in southern California often humored others with our pronunciation of "quarter."
I have a friend who grew up in Memphis and she's only lived in St. Louis for a year. She already says "Farest Park"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis