U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2012, 04:18 PM

12,062 posts, read 18,980,775 times

Advertisements

They're laying out their plans for the space, and I'd call them "medium-sized" -- Sure it's no water park, but a train museum makes plenty of sense, and there's almost no way that concentrating the retail that's left doesn't make sense. I have to imagine that will be one of the nicest Doubletree's around once converted, but with the additional convention space they'll add I'm sure LHM sees profits on the horizon.

More on the project here:
Trains could return to St. Louis Union Station : Stltoday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 06:38 PM

1,060 posts, read 983,368 times
I think the excursion train thing sounds interesting. Evidently they're going to use vintage stock for day trips/weekenders to wine country and such. Pretty cool, but definitely a niche market.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 AM

220 posts, read 162,982 times
Doesn't STL already has a really good train museum with the transportation museum? Creating one at Union Station would only take away from visitors to the other museum with an almost identical theme... not sure it's a great idea.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 AM

^In the article it mentions a desire to work with the Museum of Transportation if possible but there is no deal for that currently in place. As the two locations would be 20 miles from one another I don't imagine that the Union Station museum would really draw people away from the Museum of Transportation so much.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:23 AM

279 posts, read 225,810 times
MLS could be part of US renovation -

nextSTL | LHM Seeks Major League Soccer Stadium as Part of New Vision for Union Station in St. Louis

Years ago there was talk of moving the Museum of Transport from its current location in Ballwin to US. I think the County and the developers may come to an accord on it. It would certainly increase visits. They have a great collection, just in an area that is tough for tourists to get to.

Museum of Transportation - St. Louis

I think the county is tired of upkeep on it, right now it does not bring in enough to cover costs due to its location. If moved in the city, it could become part of the ZMD

Last edited by Old Trafford; 10-10-2012 at 09:35 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 AM

I hadn't seen the NextSTL post yet. Thanks!

And I loved the Museum of Transportation when I was a kid, but agree that it's not a very tourist friendly destination out there -- I didn't realize the county isn't interested in maintaining it anymore either.

LHM has been doing really good work in the St. Louis area, and this is one of their biggest projects to date, so I'm inclined from the get go to give them the benefit of the doubt until they give us reason to otherwise. I'm just happy a St. Louis group who seems to have a real interest in the historic nature of Union Station and its future success will be taking over.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,057,954 times
St. Louis Union Station used to have Rail Cruises up until about 2006 or so... I believe it failed It was day trips / night trips that left from Union Station that provided a meal and sightseeing etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis