Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2Missouri View Post
I really liked some of those homes. How much would you say is avg. rent for one? Are there many rental options or is it mostly purchase only?
Well, those homes are all for sale. That doesn't mean that you can't find like homes to rent. I would look in the St. Louis Post Dispatch online classifieds for homes for rent. Their website is: stltoday.com. There are other options to find rentals including through real estate leasing companies but I think the most are done independently. Let me know if you need anymore help with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 04:41 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,216 times
Hi CellarBelle
How is O'Fallon,Il. We are Wachovia Securities (Va)to St Louis and looking for a short commute to no jefferson ,st louis.Looking for a house or townhome up to 350k. Our (older) kids will be staying in Va for jobs/college so school is not a problem but still for resale the school district has to be good.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:31 AM

275 posts, read 1,124,854 times
Default Coming to St. Louis from VA and the Carolinas

I sent you a personal message, but I thought I would also give some info here for everyone. O'Fallon, IL (there's a MO O'Fallon which makes it confusing because it is also within commuting distance of St. Louis) is a nice town with easy access to downtown St. Louis (mapquest puts it at 23 miles). I-64 construction has improved the congestion around the St. Clair Mall exit and the O'Fallon (Sams Club) exit. You can check the following website for school district information for any Illinois School District:
Interactive Illinois Report Card. Also, be sure to check out GreatSchools.net for school districts in Illinois and Missouri.

If you are considering O'Fallon/Swansea/Shiloh/Fairview Heights, I encourage you to also look at Edwardsville and Glen Carbon. Ed/GC are just 28 miles (per mapquest) from downton St. Louis, and the I-270 to I-255 part of the drive to downtown St. Louis tends to flow very well. While we don't have a mall like Fairview Heights, we do have a lot of the newer retail businesses in town along with restaurants, a new YMCA and awesome hike/bike trails. The Edwardsville School District is a great school system. SIUE is also in Edwardsville, and it is a great draw for employment. As it is growing, so is the community.

The metro-east as a whole is a nice choice for those looking to relocate to the area. Our property taxes tend to be higher than the MO side, but the housing costs are traditionally lower. It is a tradeoff. Either way, MO or IL, you can't go wrong being in St. Louis. It is a great city. Come and enjoy the sports, shopping, restaurants, culture and GREAT people! As a transplant from North Carolina and then Texas, I have to say I'd be happy to spend my last days in this part of the country! I LOVE ST. LOUIS!

Best to everyone being relocated to this area! Good luck and safe travels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
Hi CellarBelle
How is O'Fallon,Il. We are Wachovia Securities (Va)to St Louis and looking for a short commute to no jefferson ,st louis.Looking for a house or townhome up to 350k. Our (older) kids will be staying in Va for jobs/college so school is not a problem but still for resale the school district has to be good.

Last edited by CellarBelle; 10-14-2007 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: typo, typo, typo...

Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 PM

40 posts, read 262,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anr_black View Post
My husband and I moved here three years ago. My suggestion: RENT a house for now in a cheaper market on the Illinois side, like Alton, Godfrey or Collinsville.
Godfrey...... maybe.... but it's still quite a ways out.....

Collinsville.... maybe... haven't spent much time there.....

Alton..... NO WAY..... unless you like easy access to crack dealers....

Old 11-29-2007, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,976 times
Default Rock Hill, Webster, Kirkwood, Brentwood

My husband and I and our two kids live in Rock Hill and it's a great central location. Our kids are preschool age so we haven't started in schools yet, but the Webster schools are highly rated. My husband works downtown St. Louis and he gets to and from work usually in 15-20 min. Our area is really safe and people are always walking around.

We actually have our house up for sale because my husband got a job in Colorado that we couldn't pass up. We're originally from MO so it's a hard decision to move. The St. Louis area has a lot to offer.

If you're interested in a maintenance free house that's all updated in a great area. Check this out:

Single Family Home - 1133 Rockman Place, Rock Hill, MO, 63119 - Realtor.com

But in the central locations you'll be able to find a lot that fits your needs.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:32 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,121 times
OK...do I need to call in a mod to stop the IL real estate agents from poaching? These folks are asking about Missouri not Illnois.

I have said it before and I will say it again; IL is flat (boring), gas is always 10 cents or more higher per gallon than in MO and you can't own a handgun to protect your family.

Missouri is much prettier, IL only has fields of corn as far as you can see. And trust me you will get to see those fields, and a landfill, a lot since you will be stuck in traffic jams with all the others trying to get to MO everyday.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:12 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,854 times
Not all correct. You CAN own a handgun in Illinois. There is no right-to-carry law in Illinois, which I personally disagree with. But there are no laws in Illinois that tell you that you cannot own a handgun.

The Metroeast is a viable option for many people moving to the St. Louis area. It is very easy to get to the airport, downtown and other areas in St. Louis. And, with all the construction on 40, for many of us on the Illinois side we will be making our way into the downtown area more quickly than some of those on the MO side.

Yes, our gas is higher. I completely disagree with you on your take of the countryside. There are a lot of cornfields, but there are also wooded areas that are very nice. SIUE is a good example of what the area has to offer as far as rolling hills and wooded areas.

I love St. Louis, but have to live on the Illinois side because of husband's work. I spend a lot of time in St. Louis because of the sports, shopping and family-friendly venues. Having lived on the Illinois side for a little more than 4 years, I've grown to like the Edwardsville area. I like to share that with other people that are looking to come to the area. I don't see any reason for hostility. But, if you want to call in the moderator, go right ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
OK...do I need to call in a mod to stop the IL real estate agents from poaching? These folks are asking about Missouri not Illnois.

I have said it before and I will say it again; IL is flat (boring), gas is always 10 cents or more higher per gallon than in MO and you can't own a handgun to protect your family.

Missouri is much prettier, IL only has fields of corn as far as you can see. And trust me you will get to see those fields, and a landfill, a lot since you will be stuck in traffic jams with all the others trying to get to MO everyday.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:16 AM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,216 times
Il is very beautiful.More open spaces-rural. Yes cornfields but also woods.It is one of our reasons for considering the area in relocating to Mo from Va.We are reminded of our native LI (NY).
But the hard sell for me is not just the gas prices but the real estate taxes.Minimum of 2% of the home selling price. Imagine 400k house/8k in taxes. You have to remember you can eventually get rid of your mortgage but those taxes are there till the day you die.Most likely you will not be able to stay in that house because how many seniors on a fixed income can afford those taxes and live comfortably.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:44 AM

366 posts, read 1,744,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post

In case you didn't know, the Illinois side of the Mississippi River around St. Louis is considered part of the municipal area and included in population estimates of the St. Louis municipal area. You are allowed your opinions, but , no matter how you feel about the east side, it is part of the St. Louis area and will always be part of this thread.

By the way, I really don't think you have ever been to the east side farther than possibly to East St. Louis, but the great river road from Alton is rated as one of the ten most beautiful drives in the country.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
In case you didn't know, the Illinois side of the Mississippi River around St. Louis is considered part of the municipal area and included in population estimates of the St. Louis municipal area. You are allowed your opinions, but , no matter how you feel about the east side, it is part of the St. Louis area and will always be part of this thread.

By the way, I really don't think you have ever been to the east side farther than possibly to East St. Louis, but the great river road from Alton is rated as one of the ten most beautiful drives in the country.
I am in sales and have traveled most of Southern IL on calls and I have stayed at Pierre Marquette state park, (No, it wasn't Holiday Inn). So yes I do know of what I speak. Yes, you do have a few small forests scattered among the fields but there is nothing like the hardwood forests of MO.

And thanks for pointing out that you may have to pass thru sin city on your daily commute, yet another reason to avoid IL.

I was just letting the OP know that IL has more than a few warts, IMHO.
I am admittedly very biased, Missouri has way more natural beauty and outdoor opportunities than IL. Name a decent float stream in IL? MO has Jacks Forks, Current, 11 Pt., Big Piney, N. Fork of the White, it goes on and on...

Beautiful drives? Try US 61, just on the other side of the river, even better take 94 from Jeff City to Marthasville. There is MOre in MO!

If IL is so great why do I see IL tags (driving too slow in the fast lane!) all over MO during my travels? Are you saying you like paying more for gas? You like crazy high property taxes? I am sorry, don't take this as "hostile" but I just don't see the attraction.

Last edited by Inoxkeeper; 12-01-2007 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis