Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 PM

551 posts, read 3,112,186 times

Advertisements

I just took a new job at Ameren (around 19th & Chouteau) and am looking to relocate to somewhere near there. I live in the CWE now, which is great, but I'm just paying too damn much for a tiny place. I came across the M Lofts and the Lofts at Lafayette Square, but can't seem to find much on them. Plus, I'm not overly familiar with the Lafayette Square area. Anyone know anything about these two places, or about the area in general? Any other lofts I'm missing? Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 PM

240 posts, read 462,421 times
For what it's worth, as a visitor to St. Louis this past February (live in Chicago), I LOVED Lafayette Square. Spent a little time there on two occasions. It's not as lively as CWE or Soulard, but still has some excitement outside the square. 1111 Mississippi, Square One Brewery, and Bailey's all have great, unique atmospheres, and I thought the square itself was beautiful. If I had to move to St. Louis, I'd look closely at Lafayette Square.

Oh and go Illini! I already miss Zook...

Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,580,146 times
M Lofts are carpeted which was huge turn off to me.

I've had friends live in both places. I'd go check them out and see which one you like best.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,469,745 times
I dont know anything about either of the complexes in particular, but LS is definitely one of my favorite neighborhoods. It tends to skew a touch older than many of St. Louis's other urban neighborhoods, chiefly because the housing stock is almost uniformally so large -- unlike the CWE, which has a broader swath of housing options.

One of my very favorite places in the neighborhood is Rue Lafayette an adorable coffee shop and cafe. Their outdoor seating is wonderful in nice weather, they often have live music -- we went once on a Sunday morning and it was very lively! -- and the owner always brings her absolutely adorable Boston Terrier, Bella, in to entertain the customers.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,666,302 times
Lafayette Square is very convenient to Ameren, and there's a good selection of restaurants and gorgeous housing. There's also the WireWorks lofts, and from the looks of craigslist, a bunch of condos/townhouses for rent that look fantastic. For the lively bar scene, I'd head to Soulard, which isn't too far either. Good luck at Ameren--I know a ton of people that work there through my old job

Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Thanks, guys! I came across the Wireworks Lofts that billiken referenced above, but they got really poor reviews on Yelp, so I think I'm going to cross them off the list, unfortunately. I may just try try to find something on craigslist, instead. Is Lafayette Square generally safe at night? I've only been there a handful of times in the early evening. I don't want to have to worry about my car getting broken into...

Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,469,745 times
^Car break ins won't be any more prevalent than in the CWE where you are now. I consider it to be a safe neighborhood and have very little concerns about the area, but of course these things are relative to one's tolerance.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM

I wouldn't be any more worried in Lafayette Square than in CWE. There is a large chunk of newer subsidized housing between Lafayette Square and Soulard that you should be aware of, at the very least, before making any decisions. I used to work very late into the night at Ameren and never had a problem with my car in the lot, but then again, they have security patroling those lots. I've also left my car overnight on the street several times after having a few too many beers at Square One Brewing without issue I'm the paranoid type, so if I lived down there, I'd probably want off-street parking.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
There is a large chunk of newer subsidized housing between Lafayette Square and Soulard that you should be aware of, at the very least, before making any decisions.
Are those the nice, new-looking townhouses near Tucker & Park (I think)? I remember mentioning them to a friend while driving down Tucker and was very surprised to learn that they're projects (in the loose sense).

I love Square One! Renting within walking distance would certainly be a perk.

On a side note, how'd you like working at Ameren? Decent culture & work/life balance? I start in a week.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Are those the nice, new-looking townhouses near Tucker & Park (I think)? I remember mentioning them to a friend while driving down Tucker and was very surprised to learn that they're projects (in the loose sense).

I love Square One! Renting within walking distance would certainly be a perk.

On a side note, how'd you like working at Ameren? Decent culture & work/life balance? I start in a week.
Yep, those townhouses. When my husband first moved to STL, he told the guy showing him around STL that he wanted to live there. In my opinion, they are well maintained, at least from the outside.

I didn't work directly for Ameren (I worked at a company that worked with them on several things), so I couldn't really tell you exactly what it's like. It's different as an outsider trying to work collaboratively. There were a few people who worked a lot...and then many people who worked a standard 40hrs/week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis