Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 PM

536 posts, read 829,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjhku View Post
If you care for safe environments, then I would suggest looking into alternate means to get to work than the metro towards the airport. You'll be going through one of the the trashy dumps in the US and let's just say the people that ride the train through that area are not going to be people in suits.
Spoken like someone who has never been on the Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 AM

210 posts, read 412,024 times
Take pictures of the people in train cart the next time you're headed through that area and let the OP decide for himself. Also, do him a favor and take pictures of the stop where he would have to get off to catch the bus to Boeing. To make things fair... make sure your picture as at least 5-10 people in it, so that he knows you're taking representative shots.

Wait... nevermind. Why don't we suggest that he move to near the Wellston metrolink to shorten his compute. It's a nice safe area where lots of professionals live, right? This is where the nice successful people live and get on and off the metro... correct?

Would any of you guys live near the metro from Wellston to the airport or suggest any of your family members live there?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
Spoken like someone who has never been on the Metro.
Wrong.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times
Quote:
Wait... nevermind. Why don't we suggest that he move to near the Wellston metrolink to shorten his compute. It's a nice safe area where lots of professionals live, right? This is where the nice successful people live and get on and off the metro... correct?

Would any of you guys live near the metro from Wellston to the airport or suggest any of your family members live there?
Oh YOU again! To the OP, pay no attention to rcjhku. He's got some sort of freakish hatred of STL.

However, we're not suggesting that the OP live in Wellston. We're suggesting Downtown or CWE, which is exactly where the nice successful people live and get on and off the metro. Correct!

And no, I would absolutely not live in Wellston or anywhere near the airport, but that doesn't mean you can't take the metro through there. I've even taken it through East St. Louis to get to Fairview Heights and the train was mostly full of professionals commuting home from Clayton.

You obviously don't understand how public transportation systems work in general.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
...And no, I would absolutely not live in Wellston or anywhere near the airport...
Just making sure you weren't suggesting that Wellston is near the airport? Considering it's directly North East of University City, near the City/County line.

I also wouldn't suggest that the metro is the major source of transportion for individuals within St. Louis. Downtown, and the CWE are great urban locations to live in. If you're wanting to live in an urban environment, in St. Louis, you won't do better than the CWE or Downtown/Wash Ave...if you think that's where all the successful people in St. Louis congregate, you're probably misinformed.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times
No, I meant I wouldn't want to live in Wellston because it's sketchy OR live near the airport because that area is too suburban for my tastes. And I didn't mean that ALL the successful people live in CWE/Downtown, but there certainly are large numbers of them hanging around those places.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 3,997 times
I live in CWE and love it. I am half a block from Forest Park, which is AMAZING and is 33% larger than NYC's Central Park! Having such an amenity within walking distance is a HUGE plus. I do like downtown, but if you're at all into the outdoors, I strongly recommend CWE. You will have a tough time finding a loft space, as the buildings in CWE are nothing like the large warehouse spaces downtown. And while there may be more bars downtown, there are plenty of bars in CWE, and you're much closer to other bars too. Also, I ride the MetroLink on a daily basis and while I've been asked for money, I've never been scared for my life or anything like that. I really hope Boeing provides a shuttle from the MetroLink stop; I can see the bus will get you there from the North Hanley station, which is something I would do, but not a lot of people would. It's up to you. I'd be really surprised if Boeing didn't given their large # of employees. (Early) welcome to St. Louis!
I should note that I'm a female and feel safe in this area. I am very alert and aware of my surroundings, but I think everyone should be.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:25 PM

536 posts, read 829,728 times
I have family in Charlack, so I get on/off at North Hanley all the time, and I have never had any issues with that station. I have ridden MetroLink from that station since the mid 1990's and never any trouble. It's just mostly suburbanites trying to get to/from work.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:50 PM

Wait.. you mean the people that live in the area that you "would absolutely not live in" wouldn't use the metro as it's going through their neighborhood? The reality is they do, and this is what makes it not safe. We're going to differ from what is "safe", but I'm not doing some horrible disservice by warning this guy what he might be getting into.

If the option is to drive from downtown/cwe to Boeing versus the metrolink, my option is the car would be safer. I'm trying to help the OP... don't mislead him as if the metro through this area is the safest option he has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Oh YOU again! To the OP, pay no attention to rcjhku. He's got some sort of freakish hatred of STL.

However, we're not suggesting that the OP live in Wellston. We're suggesting Downtown or CWE, which is exactly where the nice successful people live and get on and off the metro. Correct!

And no, I would absolutely not live in Wellston or anywhere near the airport, but that doesn't mean you can't take the metro through there. I've even taken it through East St. Louis to get to Fairview Heights and the train was mostly full of professionals commuting home from Clayton.

You obviously don't understand how public transportation systems work in general.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Quote:
Wait.. you mean the people that live in the area that you "would absolutely not live in" wouldn't use the metro as it's going through their neighborhood? The reality is they do, and this is what makes it not safe. We're going to differ from what is "safe", but I'm not doing some horrible disservice by warning this guy what he might be getting into.

If the option is to drive from downtown/cwe to Boeing versus the metrolink, my option is the car would be safer. I'm trying to help the OP... don't mislead him as if the metro through this area is the safest option he has.
I'd have to agree that a car on the interstate is probably the safest form of transportation from downtown to Boeing, but I don't think it means that the metrolink is "unsafe"...and a belief that the metrolink is "unsafe" is pretty foolish as well. Will there be people from areas all over the metro on the metrolink? Yes!

Will you have business people, couples, young families, elderly folks, kids going to and from school, kids going out, rowdy teenagers, potheads, and even drunk suburbanites all on the train? Yes!

All these people will be on the train, and for the most part I don't feel as if I've ever been in danger while I've been on the train.

The metrolink goes through locations throughout the metro that I wouldn't live in, whether that's Wellston, or East St. Louis. But I have a feeling there are good decent people living in those areas as well, that actually do have hopes and dreams, and aren't necessarily gang members, thieves, or hoodlums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis