Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Not sure what you mean about active participants, but I must admit LA has some epic riots every twenty years or so. As far as guaranteeing bonds, I'm sure there is an opportunity cost to build a new $1.5 billion football stadium to try to lure a pro football team from another city which will preclude LA from pursuing some other civic endeavor, but perhaps it is worth it to LA. Hopefully, if you do get another team, you will support it enough to keep it this time around. I'm not sure how many opportunities one city will get, even one as big as LA. You know what they say, three strikes and you're out.
USC and UCLA suck a lot of the football energy. No sure if any NFL team can recover the LA fan base unless they put out a quality team from the get go.
Both the Raiders and the Rams drew significant crowds. It was the owners that were unwilling to make the commitment to quality.

Riots? I think the midwest is more likely to have a riot/uprising when the redneck elements are hit with gun restructions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
OK, 1/5 of the team comes from California, But I would guess that at least half the team trains in So Cal (my own rowing club sent 5 people, but none were native Californians, so that skews the numbers a bit)

er.... I live in Huntington Beach, CA.
Although Originally from NY, I have lived in Southern California for over 20 years. (but detoured by a three year mistake in Missouri - Do you want me to start posting on the "I'm from St. Louis." Thread)

Bottom line is that I believe that the Rams will be the team moving back to LA. Except for securing a temporary playing facility while Farmers Field is being constructed, all the wheels are in motion.
I know, Missouri and St. Louis were horrible except for the little oasis of Lake St. Louis!

I hope the Rams don't move, but it certainly is a possibility. Hey, California is great. With the population coupled with the weather, you should produce a lot of athletes. So does Texas for similar reasons.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
The Rams are not moving to LA. The NFL, Rams ownership, and the St. Louis area do not want the team to leave the region. I suppose there's always a chance the Rams could move to LA but frankly that rumor/threat was squashed a few months back.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
The new stadium should be built on the East STL riverfront. Plenty of land, close to all major highways and public transit, centrally located, and great views of the skyline downtown. Discuss...

Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
The new stadium should be built on the East STL riverfront. Plenty of land, close to all major highways and public transit, centrally located, and great views of the skyline downtown. Discuss...
Sorry, a St. Louis team should play its games in Missouri, not that corrupt cess pool to the east.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Oh? St Louis County isn't St Louis City so what's the difference? And what does the location of a stadium have anything to do with corruption? Many can point to corruption in Fenton and Dooley's regime. Re-read the reasons that I think it should be located on the East riverfront.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Oh? St Louis County isn't St Louis City so what's the difference? And what does the location of a stadium have anything to do with corruption? Many can point to corruption in Fenton and Dooley's regime. Re-read the reasons that I think it should be located on the East riverfront.
Umm, St. Louis is in MISSOURI. I wouldn't want Illinois benefiting financially from a Missouri based pro-team, I'd rather have them play in St. Louis County than in Illinois.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Oh dear. We are 1 region. MO and IL shouldnt be competing in the STL area. You don't think sports teams like the Rams benefit from Illinois? Many people that live in Illinois have season tickets to Rams games. What if they gave up their season tickets and weakened the Rams financially?

I based the location on what I thought made sense, you seem like you are have based yours on state pride.

And actually this region would be a lot stronger if more jobs and people lived on the Illinois side. Benefitting STL City and County.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Oh dear. We are 1 region. MO and IL shouldnt be competing in the STL area. You don't think sports teams like the Rams benefit from Illinois? Many people that live in Illinois have season tickets to Rams games. What if they gave up their season tickets and weakened the Rams financially?

I based the location on what I thought made sense, you seem like you are have based yours on state pride.

And actually this region would be a lot stronger if more jobs and people lived on the Illinois side. Benefitting STL City and County.
Not sure how having the stadium in Illinios would benefit the "region" anymore than having it in Fenton.

But yes, part of it is state pride. And although there are many fans from Illinois, the vast majority are from Missouri. I'd rather see that money spent in Missouri and more importantly, the tax revenue stay in Missouri. I assume that if the team plays its games in Illinois, for tax purposes, a lot of its income, and that of its players, would be deemed earned in Illinois, and therefore would be taxable by Illinois, rather than Missouri. So yes, I would prefer Missouri get that tax revenue than the Chicago machine.

Last edited by MUTGR; 01-22-2013 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM

220 posts, read 453,876 times
I'm a Chiefs fan where football is an all day event, ie: tailgating. Doesn't matter where the stadium is as long as there's plenty of parking! This usually eliminates downtown areas.

Now for weekday afternoon or evening sports like baseball, hockey, etc. downtown near restaurants, public transportation, and bars is the optimal place.

I guess your preference is all in how you enjoy the sport though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis