Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:35 AM

20 posts, read 59,986 times

Advertisements

Since St. Louis has the two rivers, I was wondering if any water recreation takes place on them (boating, water skiing, jet skiing). Are there beaches for swimming? What about camping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,938,775 times
Water recreation exists, but is not very good. River currents are treacherous and dangerous. The "pool" above above Alton on the Mississippi provides somewhat calmer water, but you still need to deal with Barge Traffic

The Meramec River is a slower moving river, and suitable small boat traffic, canoeing, kayaking and Tubing.

A St. Louis Waterfront is essentially non-existant, except for the area around the Arch.

Crever Coeur is the largest natural lack in Missouri and features a rowing club and sailing activity. No power boats are allowed (except to coach and conduct regatta activities) Halfway decent Beaches.

Lake Saint Louis has two lakes, but you need to be a member of the Community Association to use them. The Water Sk Club (which is open to non association Members) competes on the National Level.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:30 AM

46 posts, read 200,292 times
When I was a kid my parents had a little boat and we'd get in the Mississippi in the Elsberry area and tube/ski...etc. There were always a lot of people doing that. I do remember the current being pretty strong but I was too young to probably realize the potential danger. We never had any problems though. I don't really hear about anybody doing that these days, but I don't know many people with boats. Those that do have boats typically go to Mark Twain Lake up in Hannibal or the Lake of the Ozarks.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:53 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,824,865 times
The Meramec River which is to the South West of St. Louis has more water activities than either the Mississippi or the Missouri, mainly because as others said, the currents are too treacherous. The Meramec River however offers various points of entry for Kayaking, Rafting, Float Trips, Tubing, etc. In Maryland Heights, there is Lake Creve Coeur which offers sailboating, fishing, etc (and it was the site of the rowing events during the 1904 Olympic Games in St. Louis) but I've never seen a tonne of water activity going on. I hope that helps!

EDIT: I just noticed that Dinsdale said essentially the same thing Sorry, I only read the OP and then skimmed through the other responses prior to replying!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 AM

395 posts, read 647,009 times
Carlyle lake is about an hour away from downtown - its shallow and the area around it is flat - making it a destination for sailing

Carlyle Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 PM

4,356 posts, read 4,519,185 times
I found this online-- 370 Lakeside Park RV Campground in Missouri | VisitMO.com -- check it out.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,666,663 times
Heading out to Lake of the Ozarks is very popular during the summer months.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,959,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
The Meramec River which is to the South West of St. Louis has more water activities than either the Mississippi or the Missouri, mainly because as others said, the currents are too treacherous. The Meramec River however offers various points of entry for Kayaking, Rafting, Float Trips, Tubing, etc. In Maryland Heights, there is Lake Creve Coeur which offers sailboating, fishing, etc (and it was the site of the rowing events during the 1904 Olympic Games in St. Louis) but I've never seen a tonne of water activity going on. I hope that helps!

EDIT: I just noticed that Dinsdale said essentially the same thing Sorry, I only read the OP and then skimmed through the other responses prior to replying!
I would just say there is a surprising amount of boating on both the Missouri and Mississippi just north of St. Louis, particularly in an area referred to as the Alton pool. There are several marinas in St. Charles County in Missouri and some in Illinois that cater to this area.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:19 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,938,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
...and it was the site of the rowing events during the 1904 Olympic Games in St. Louis!
A side note on the "Olympic" Rowing events on Creve Couer Lake. These events were a NAAO (National Association of Amateur Oarsmen) regatta and rebranded as the Olympic Regatta. Only the USA and Canada participated.

The 1994 US Olympic festival Rowing (and I believe the flatwater Canoe/Kayak) events were held on Lake Saint Louis

Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 AM

113 posts, read 284,579 times
We have a boat and as long as the river isnt flooded, the "Dardenne Pool" is a lot of fun. TONS of baots ans jet skis on the water all summer with a couple fun resturants on the water too. Grafton is a 10 minutes boat ride and there are a couple bars ans eateries there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis