Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 PM

52 posts, read 74,751 times

Advertisements

This calzone place sounds like it might be good to grab and take back to the hotel as we hunker down for the evening! Planning on visiting the arch, Busch stadium, St Louis brew and Pi Pizzeria thus far. There were no plans on bar hopping, we were just curious if we should not be leaving our hotel past a certain time like someone told us. I do let my imagination run wild as far as "dangers" go. Also thinking about visiting City Museum as I hear it's a good time. I'm 100% Mexican but what I consider "good" Mexican food definitely varies. No matter its origin, I do love a good margarita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Absolutely visit City Museum. Once you do, you will realize how much you would have regretted not visiting.
We normally skip the aquarium part of it; some people like it, some don't. The main part of the museum and the roof are always going to be winners though. (Just realize that it is a giant playground more than a museum, though the few museum bits are interesting once you are worn out.)
Oh, and there are no maps of the place

Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,277,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
To be fair, that is true everywhere, not just in ST Louis.
I was not true in Phoenix. But it is fair to say that it is most likely the case in many other areas in the Midwest.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,277,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
While I respect your opinons on taste of Mexican FOOD .. I merely commented on how they had good Magritas as well. WHICH they do .. regardless of the heritage of the magarita.
I hope you didn't take my post as criticizing you or being condescending. I was merely pointing out something about STL that I find humorous. I think a large reason for that is the different culture here towards drinking in general. I was shocked when I came here and saw beer available in the concession stands of many youth baseball parks. That would NEVER be found in Phoenix. Don't get me wrong, I kind of like it. As long as I'm not umpiring and have to deal with drunk fans. Sober ones are hard enough.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:36 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I was not true in Phoenix. But it is fair to say that it is most likely the case in many other areas in the Midwest.
Not true in Las Cruces New Mexico, where I used to live, either. But I am in complete agreement with Scocar as well about the more permissive drinking culture here, and I also kind of like it! Yesterday, when I left work, there were two separate softball games going on, with plenty of beer drinking involved, right out in public. Forest Park, too, the same thing.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
It was not true in Phoenix. But it is fair to say that it is most likely the case in many other areas in the Midwest.
It is definitely true in Tempe though that people start talking about margaritas when they talk about Mexican food.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 AM

150 posts, read 243,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I always get a kick out of how snobby people from the Southwest get about Mexican food. I see that a lot.
That would be because there is real Mexican food in the Southwest. You know, the stuff that Mexicans actually eat at home, not the crap you get in St. Louis.

I've seen it all now though, a St. Louis homer getting all defensive because someone said St. Louis dosen't have the world's greatest Mexican food.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
That would be because there is real Mexican food in the Southwest. You know, the stuff that Mexicans actually eat at home, not the crap you get in St. Louis.

I've seen it all now though, a St. Louis homer getting all defensive because someone said St. Louis dosen't have the world's greatest Mexican food.
(A) I'm not from St. Louis, and (B) I never claimed St. Louis had the world's greatest Mexican food. Take a deep breath.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razacla View Post
Obviously, a lot of people have inquired about the safety of St. Louis. Will be staying @ the Ramada Plaza Hotel For a few days and am wondering if St Louis is as bad as my Google search is leading me to believe it is... because safety is a concern of mine as well. I know you cant believe everything you read so i'm basically asking about that general area/hotel/othee helpf tips. If anyone can help out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hi, new to this forum so forgive me if pasting in the OP's post isn't usually done.

A whole city will have different areas and places that just are heavier crime spots & I haven't experienced anything scary as a single woman in St Louis. I would just advise staying at a hotel that you know about and feel good about. Find out about parking if you are feeling nervous. But I don't think looking at crime stats for the whole city will be as useful as just knowing about right where you will be staying/walking to, etc. And just keep basic safety things in mind.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:14 PM

52 posts, read 74,751 times
Just got back from my weekend getaway and I must say, it wasn't quite what I expected it to be. The Ramada Plaza Hotel was not phenomenal but for the price I paid was adequate and of good value! The staff was helpful and friendly, which I was very happy about but the hotel itself was strangely placed.. in my opinion. Being from the Chicago area, I was surprised at how little pedestrian traffic there was. We made it to Pi, which was phenomenal and also went to the Delmar Loop, (which I would have loved to take in a little more,) and had some really great food at Mission Taco Joint. We went to the St Louis brewery, the Arch, toured Busch stadium and also went to City Museum! We had a great time but yes, definitely wanted to watch where we traveled because it seemed that from one corner to another we'd be in a seemingly "nice area" then in an instant, a little sketchier looking area. I appreciate everyone's input, advice and suggestions... we tried to do as much as we can and I wouldn't have been even half as prepared to visit STL without this forum and those of you who replied to this post! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis