Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:44 PM

39 posts, read 148,260 times

Advertisements

It was just 2 years ago. When I moved here, it was 99 cents/pound around every summer holiday (Memorial Day, Labor Day, Fourth of July). The price at that time at Schnucks was around $6/pound. Seriously I had sticker shock over meat prices here...thought I might have to become a vegetarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 07:55 AM

101 posts, read 325,486 times
We so Aldi for general food, and the two Asian markets on Olive street just east of I-170 or the market on South grand for Veggies. Shop only Deirbergs or Schnucks when absolutely necessary, and never Wally world. For 2 people eating mostly fresh food and veggies/meats, our grocery bills rarely go over $70/week, if that. And we eat well, not beanie weenies.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:51 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Are we really wanting Kroger in STL? Schnucks & Dierbergs are both locally owned and the quality of the produce/meat far supasses the crap you get at the big national supermarkets. I am less price sensitive when it comes to groceries, but those who are all about price will end up at Walmart anyways. I used to live in Rock Hill and I love the Dierbergs in Warson Woods
Agreed, Schnucks and Dierbergs are great. I lived and Georgia and had Kroger and Publix, neither were anywhere near the quality of our local stores.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM

85 posts, read 287,859 times
I see there is a food co-op on Cherokee St. In theory the food should be cheaper there. Is it well run?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 PM

46 posts, read 200,779 times
I'm originally from Troy and there's a Kroger there. Nothing special about it. The prices are about the same everywhere I've been around here, give or take. I go to the Soulard Farmer's Market every Saturday morning and stock up for the week and really only buy odds and ends at Schnuck's or whatever is closest. The Farmer's Market is generally much, much cheaper than normal stores and the quality is higher. If you want to talk about competition well you have about 50 groups with little to no overhead cost all competing for your business under one roof. It's not always the most convenient place, but you asked for cheap.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:21 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking9 View Post
I see there is a food co-op on Cherokee St. In theory the food should be cheaper there. Is it well run?
In theory, I would agree. However, what I find is that most co-ops try to cater to every member's whims and that drives up costs.

As for Soulard, you have to be careful about what you buy. A good portion of the produce is surpplus from the wholesalers in the area. Personally, that does not bother me as the prices generally reflect that. That is OK as long as you plan to use it in three or four days.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 PM

Does any one know, for example, is the produce at the co-op cheaper than at Soulards? If not, is it because it is organic?

Old 04-26-2013, 03:09 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,331 times
I live in Columbia and although we don't have a Kroger, we do have a Gerbes (owned by Dillons/Kroger). Their prices and selection are good, but the store isn't as nice as Schnucks. However, I find Schnucks really expensive. I can buy most things at WalMart and ALDI. For the rest, and very rarely, I go to HyVee, Schnucks, or Gerbes.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:35 PM

Does Soulards have some organic produce from a number of vendors? On their website I see one description "organic" but does that mean just one vendor?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:09 PM

5 posts, read 6,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure that people would flock to Krogers over the local chains or that they would be competitive. Krogers pulled out of Rockford, IL where their main competitor was ... Schnuck's.
And that same month, Schnucks pulled-out of Memphis, TN where their main competitor was...Kroger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis