U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,780 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Moving to St. Louis for gradschool from Houston. What is the "hipster" scene like in this city? Music, neighborhoods, apts, coffee shops, shopping?! maybe i shouldn't use the term hipster, how about alternative culture? creative and progressive vibes?
Basically I am..
22 yr old single African American female
gradstudent/ young professional/ low-key nerd
socially conscious/ healthy living lifestyle
indie-music/ love blues/ underground hip hop
uber liberal/ wanabe social activist
spends free time at museums and watching foreign films

where can i make friends? or find a community.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:02 PM

3,293 posts, read 6,998,627 times
Try the Loop...Might also have some luck in parts of South City, the Grove, Maplewood...all give me that "Hipster" vibe. I'm a total non-hipster, but if i was "hip" (i.e. posted 70's inspired photos on instagram, wore skinny jeans, etc) I think those would all be places i'd hang out.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 PM

1,898 posts, read 4,001,268 times
Benton Park, Tower Grove East (maybe TGS too) is probably where I'd start. Perhaps Old North STL for the truly progressive.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,273,456 times
Tower Grove, easily. Also check out Cherokee Street, Benton Park, the Grove (a different neighborhood from Tower Grove), maybe Soulard, and most of South City generally. The Central Corridor (downtown/midtown/Central West End) tends to be much more yuppie, although the Midtown Alley part of midtown seems like it's becoming a hipster draw.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 PM

352 posts, read 500,042 times
Cherokee St. is ground zero of the StL hipsters -

Cherokee Street – St. Louis, MO

There are other neighborhoods, Loop, Grove, Bevo, but Cherokee is an eclectic mix

Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,591,185 times
Cherokee St, Loop, Tower Grove, The Grove, and downtown.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:44 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,819,348 times
Now this might sound weird, but you might want to check out the UU church on Waterman. Uber liberal (check). Socially conscious / wannabe social activist (check), grad student low key nerd (check), healthy living orientation (check). I drop in from time to time and see a lot of people fitting these descriptions. Lots of intellectuals from local universities looking for a positive community without all the God fearing nonsense. Probably not most of them wearing knit caps in the summer, drinking PBR, and looking down on chain stores, but a few of them probably do all that too.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 PM

46 posts, read 180,793 times
I agree with the south city vote. That includes Cherokee St and Benton Park. If I were you, I wouldn't live on/immediately around Cherokee St. Benton Park feels nicer/safer and it's a 5 minute drive from Cherokee. But to give you a broader area, I would recommend anything in the boundary: east of Kingshighway, west of I-55, South of Russell, and north of Arsenal.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:34 PM

65 posts, read 93,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Now this might sound weird, but you might want to check out the UU church on Waterman. Uber liberal (check). Socially conscious / wannabe social activist (check), grad student low key nerd (check), healthy living orientation (check). I drop in from time to time and see a lot of people fitting these descriptions. Lots of intellectuals from local universities looking for a positive community without all the God fearing nonsense. Probably not most of them wearing knit caps in the summer, drinking PBR, and looking down on chain stores, but a few of them probably do all that too.
I just checked out a UU church in Normal, IL and I find them pretty progressive people to do meditation with this winter thx for pointing out UU church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or