U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 10:50 AM

7,209 posts, read 5,093,009 times

Advertisements

Go to Youtube and type in "Accent Tag:St.Louis"
I listened to a half a dozen, black or white and each one sounded different to me.
I wouldn't have guessed that any were from St.Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 06:45 PM

203 posts, read 155,764 times
Warshington.
Highway Farty.
General malaise and malaprops against proper English.
That's what I've been hearing here for four years!

Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,377,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I'm also black and agree with a lot of what you're saying. I've always thought St. Louis felt like a mix of Memphis and Chicago. St. Louis is also a seasonal city. Come here in the Fall or Winter and you would swear it's Chicago junior. It has a very hard northern feel in those months, The trees die and you can really see the industrial heritage with all of the closely packed together brick houses, smokestacks and industrial warehouses. Come here in the spring or summer time and it has a very genteel feeling. The redbrick really pops and softens up the city, people become friendlier doing those months, its common to see people bbq on back and FRONT porches lol. There really isn't a city like St. Louis, very unique and at the cross section of many regions. I've even heard some people say St. Louis has a western feel. People have told me that St. Louis reminds them of Baltimore on the Mississippi, A smaller Midwestern Philadelphia, A more eastern version of Kansas City, Cincinnati's twin sister, A bigger version of Memphis, A northern New Orleans, Chicago's slower baby cousin, A western Pittsburgh etc. The fact is a sprinklings of all those things can be found in St. Louis, because after all it is the gateway city.
Would it be reasonable to describe St. Louis as a sort of border town?

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 01-26-2016 at 04:24 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 02:42 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,295,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Would it be reasonable to describe St. Louis as a sort of border town?
No because St. Louis doesn't border the South. Not only that, it has very few Southern characteristics to it. St. Louis is solidly Midwestern/Northern.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Indianapolis seems way more southern than St. Louis. NASCAR is big there, right? The people have a twang and just seem more countryish.
People from Indy are into the Indy500, not NASCAR. And they don't have twangs either.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yep, growing up in IN and MI we considered St Louis to be southern, maybe not quite 'gone with the the wind' but definitely not midwestern like us.
St. Louis isn't Southern. People from the South have it right...we're not a Southern city.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:22 PM

11,434 posts, read 15,042,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
St. Louis isn't Southern. People from the South have it right...we're not a Southern city.
They are right because they agree with you, but people from the midwest who don't consider you midwestern are wrong? And you don't see anything wrong with that logic?

Old 01-28-2016, 04:38 AM

610 posts, read 421,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm from St. Louis and lived in central Missouri for many years and had a travelling job with a district from Iowa to Ste. Genevieve. I went to college in Cape Girardeau. I think that what some people think is southern in St. Louis and some other Missouri towns is actually river culture. You can follow it all the way to St. Joseph in the west and up north to Hannibal. There are gaps like around Hermann and the "Rhineland" wine country but it kicks in again in Jefferson City, Boonville, etc. There is true southern in the bootheel and parts of the Ozarks and a few scattered pockets...Lexington and Fulton might be more southern than river culture but they have to work at it. Just 20 miles away from the Missouri or Mississippi rivers and you will see it fade away on both sides once you are north of Cape Girardeau. You can see the same difference in culture in port cities like Baltimore or New Orleans compared to nearby areas.

There's probably only one unique place in Missouri that would fit the definition of being southern. It's Old Mines, Missouri, located in Washington County. (My grandmother was born and raised there, and I'm related to nearly everyone in that town.)

Old Mines is the place that time forgot: It's the last place in Missouri where you can still find the Missouri French. About 500 people there still speak a 300-year-old version of Quebecois French, known as "Paw Paw French." It's the French you would have heard in the streets of St Louis more than 200 years ago, before the Anglos and Germans wiped out all of the French culture in St Louis. The French they speak in Old Mines, as well as the culture and traditions they maintain, makes the people of Old Mines distant cousins of the Cajuns and Creoles of Louisiana—a bona fide southern culture. In fact, the French they speak in Old Mines is almost identical to Louisiana Cajun French.

All of the people from Old Mines are classified as "white creoles." They’re creoles because they were Frenchmen living west of the Mississippi River before 1803 (the Louisiana Purchase.) The people of Old Mines are from some of the oldest families in the state. They go back to the founding of St Genevieve, the oldest town in Upper Louisiana (Missouri pre-1821). All of the families in Old Mines have been in Missouri for more than 280 years. The place is so isolated and remote that they’ve been able to keep alive a real Cajun/Creole culture in the middle of the Midwest, long after St Louis, St Genevieve, and Cape Girardeau killed their French culture.

NPR ran story about Old Mines recently:

http://www.npr.org/2014/09/23/349853...hoed-in-ozarks

Old 01-28-2016, 08:59 AM

717 posts, read 425,393 times
I consider Southeastern MO as definitely Southern. When you're geographically farther South than KY and parts of TN, plus are a region historically aligned with the Confederacy, that's Southern to me. Heck, even the St. Louis area sent lots of troops to the Confederacy, but Southeastern MO for sure. When you get down to Stoddard, Scott, New Madrid counties, they tend to identify very strongly with Arkansas and Tennesee. My relatives and ancestors are all from there.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:11 AM

7,836 posts, read 4,255,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post

Old Mines is the place that time forgot: It's the last place in Missouri where you can still find the Missouri French. About 500 people there still speak a 300-year-old version of Quebecois French, known as "Paw Paw French." It's the French you would have heard in the streets of St Louis more than 200 years ago, before the Anglos and Germans wiped out all of the French culture in St Louis. The French they speak in Old Mines, as well as the culture and traditions they maintain, makes the people of Old Mines distant cousins of the Cajuns and Creoles of Louisiana—a bona fide southern culture. In fact, the French they speak in Old Mines is almost identical to Louisiana Cajun French.

I visited some small settlements in the 1970s back east of Potosi that are not on the map and the oldest folks spoke a different sort of English to outsiders...like not their first language. I assume it is derived from old French and perhaps they speak old French among themselves. They were isolated for generations but the younger generations were getting out for employment so I'm guessing the culture is melting away. I recall that the women all looked alike...just different age variations on the same theme. There was a very reserved manner and politeness to the people when I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis