Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 06:36 PM

320 posts, read 607,346 times

Advertisements

^ In what way is STL even partly southern? Because those are fighting words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 06:42 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,678,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
^ In what way is STL even partly southern? Because those are fighting words.
My short visit there the accent stood out, the pace of doing things stood out, even the infrastructure stood out. Sure STL is part of the Rust Belt, but it isn't all that far from Arkansas. I don't consider the South a bad thing, perhaps you do...

Old 07-14-2013, 01:25 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,922,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
^ The issue with the south is that your states unleashed on the north a gigantic wave of poor, uneducated people (white and black), fleeing from medieval laws and a straight up barbaric society that had no excuse for existing in the 19th century, let alone ever. And your states did nothing to help with the numerous problems that created. And today your states like to point at the north and say "oh, look how badly their cities rotted. See!" What a ****ing joke. The north received no financial help, no legal help, nor any other kind of help in dealing with the problems THEY created - I mean, the south could have ended the Jim Crow laws and indentured servitude and numerous other backwards practices that forced your people to move northward, but didn't. And let's be honest. Your culture fought a war to preserve the institution of human chattel - not states rights, not any of the other revisionist crap neo confeds always try to point to - and to pretend otherwise is not to embrace *your* past. So yeah, "southern influences" are a total load of crap, and you can keep those influences down south, and help clean up the socioeconomic mess you helped create up north. Do that, and we'll start to give a **** what the south thinks.
I thought it was the inflated, unsustainable union wages that drew people out of the South. Those wages encouraged people to have lots of kids who ended up not having the same job opportunities.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:13 AM

405 posts, read 818,379 times
I'm in St. Louis right now on vacation. St. Louis to me just feels like a cross between the Midwest and the South. The diversity, much of the culture and attitudes, and the wealth and size of the suburbs give St. Louis a Midwestern feel in a lot of ways that make it seem sort of like a miniture version of Chicago. However, I'm Black and originally from Memphis, TN and the slow pace, the huge black population, and the way most of the Black folks act in St. Louis make it feel more like Memphis---a sleepy Southern city---than Chicago---a bustling Midwestern city. This might seem strange, but when I am in majority white areas and venues in St. Louis, everything from the accents to the attitude, mannerisms, and culture seem VERY Midwestern. But when I am in Black areas in St. Louis and around predominately Black St. Louisians, everything from the accents to the attitude, culture and the styles of hair and dress remind me VERY much of being back home in Memphis, TN/the South. But heck, even a lot of the infrastructure of St. Louis reminds me of Memphis. No offense, but being in St. Louis feels almost like I'm still in Memphis in a lot of ways, and you can take that for what it's worth...

Last edited by Carlito Brigante; 07-14-2013 at 02:45 AM..

Old 07-14-2013, 03:59 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,922,996 times
^That's not strange at all! It makes perfect sense. I've thought the same. You sometimes see a similar sort of difference between different types of white people (working class vs middle class). I think a lot of the working class, whether black or white, in STL and KC, came from the South (or at least rural areas), so they will have more Southern (or rural) attributes. The working-class white community and culture has kind of fallen out, but black people still have what looks like to me almost a parallel society, at least in my city (Kansas City), and it's much more conservative, more "stuck in the past" (is how some would phrase it), and tends to carry cultural attributes through the generations better (such as Southern attributes). Earlier in this thread I thought about saying that Southern influence may be stronger within certain sections of the population, but wasn't sure if others would understand what I mean. I'm glad you mentioned it, and it seems like you were kind of iffy on actually stating what you believe you've observed too!

Old 07-14-2013, 02:29 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,165,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
I'm in St. Louis right now on vacation. St. Louis to me just feels like a cross between the Midwest and the South. The diversity, much of the culture and attitudes, and the wealth and size of the suburbs give St. Louis a Midwestern feel in a lot of ways that make it seem sort of like a miniture version of Chicago. However, I'm Black and originally from Memphis, TN and the slow pace, the huge black population, and the way most of the Black folks act in St. Louis make it feel more like Memphis---a sleepy Southern city---than Chicago---a bustling Midwestern city. This might seem strange, but when I am in majority white areas and venues in St. Louis, everything from the accents to the attitude, mannerisms, and culture seem VERY Midwestern. But when I am in Black areas in St. Louis and around predominately Black St. Louisians, everything from the accents to the attitude, culture and the styles of hair and dress remind me VERY much of being back home in Memphis, TN/the South. But heck, even a lot of the infrastructure of St. Louis reminds me of Memphis. No offense, but being in St. Louis feels almost like I'm still in Memphis in a lot of ways, and you can take that for what it's worth...
I'm also black and agree with a lot of what you're saying. I've always thought St. Louis felt like a mix of Memphis and Chicago. St. Louis is also a seasonal city. Come here in the Fall or Winter and you would swear it's Chicago junior. It has a very hard northern feel in those months, The trees die and you can really see the industrial heritage with all of the closely packed together brick houses, smokestacks and industrial warehouses. Come here in the spring or summer time and it has a very genteel feeling. The redbrick really pops and softens up the city, people become friendlier doing those months, its common to see people bbq on back and FRONT porches lol. There really isn't a city like St. Louis, very unique and at the cross section of many regions. I've even heard some people say St. Louis has a western feel. People have told me that St. Louis reminds them of Baltimore on the Mississippi, A smaller Midwestern Philadelphia, A more eastern version of Kansas City, Cincinnati's twin sister, A bigger version of Memphis, A northern New Orleans, Chicago's slower baby cousin, A western Pittsburgh etc. The fact is a sprinklings of all those things can be found in St. Louis, because after all it is the gateway city.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:11 PM

536 posts, read 825,424 times
Spent time in Jacksonville in the 90's, and there were lots of southern people there. They have a suburb called Middleburg that was basically Georgia. Green Cove Springs wasn't much better, but then you go the next town over to St. Augustine, and that didn't feel southern at all. It's been years since I was there though so things may have changed.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,030,755 times
^Lynyrd Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet reign from Jacksonville - heck yeah it's southern.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:30 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,678,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
Spent time in Jacksonville in the 90's, and there were lots of southern people there. They have a suburb called Middleburg that was basically Georgia. Green Cove Springs wasn't much better, but then you go the next town over to St. Augustine, and that didn't feel southern at all. It's been years since I was there though so things may have changed.
you make it sound like southerners are bad? i actually enjoy southerners...

for a city with a hockey team named the blues...it definitely has a southern influence.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:46 PM

536 posts, read 825,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
you make it sound like southerners are bad? i actually enjoy southerners...

for a city with a hockey team named the blues...it definitely has a southern influence.
I don't have a problem with southerners at all. My whole family came from southern Missouri and most of them still live there. I also spent time in Louisiana and Georgia as well as Florida. But (when I was there at least) a lot of people in Middleburg, Florida were racists and people used the N-word on a daily basis, and I knew people that were involved with the KKK or had family members that were. Also there was a serious drug problem in the entire town, and I'm not talking about weed either.

So no I don't have a problem with people from the south, but just this town that was not a great place to be in the 90's. Like i said though I haven't been there in years, so it might be completely different today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis