Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,694 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of posts about Dogtown as a whole, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything specific about the Hi-Pointe neighborhood?

I moved to the St Louis area a year ago (I live in Clayton for the moment). My apartment building recently sold for the 500th time and the new owner says I have to move (which isn't the end of the world- I was considering moving anyway). I've been looking to find a cheaper place closer to work (I work in the Central West End). I currently pay $1,000 a month where I'm at, which is a bit of a stretch to my budget. I like some things about my current neighborhood (very nice houses, nonexistent crime), but dislike other aspects (I have literally never met any of my neighbors, which is a big contrast to places I've lived in the past; people seem to keep to themselves a lot). Perhaps the biggest problem for me is that I have multiple cars (working on old cars is my hobby), so having multiple off-street parking spots is a HUGE issue for me.

I found a house to rent in the Hi-Pointe neighborhood that is in my price range (low $900s), has multiple off-street parking spaces, and is recently renovated. The landlord also seems really good. I also like that it is close to work and Forest Park as well.

However, something about the neighborhood has me unsettled. All of the objective information I see suggests it is a decent place to live. Crime appears to be low. I've also spent a lot of time driving through the area and I haven't seen anything disconcerting. Some of the houses are a run-down, but most are in decent shape. Part of the problem is that I'm moving from a wealthy neighborhood (where I rent one of the cheaper units) to a middle/working class neighborhood. Also, one random factoid is that I found 3 registered sex offenders live within a 3 block radius (I'm a single male, so that really doesn't affect me).

So does anyone know anything about Hi-Pointe? Right now all I can focus on is the few run down houses and sex offenders, even if all other information suggests it is a decent place to live.

I'd just like to hear if anyone knows anything about Hi-Pointe. Specifically, the house is located south of 64 and 2 blocks east of McCausland. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 08:55 PM

188 posts, read 374,197 times
You'll be in a good area. Yes there are a few run down homes but thats can be found in almost any neighborhood, including the central west end. I wouldn't be too concerned about the sex offenders either. They have to live somewhere and that just indicates that rents were low at some point in the past. It takes some time for demographics to change.

I like dogtown a lot and theres a neat new microbrewery called Heavy Riff that opened up near the corner of Tamm and Clayton.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,030,755 times
Too bad there are no posters from there to answer the question. I'm not super familiar with that specific neighborhood, but given what it is surrounded by I couldn't imagine it is very dangerous. The sketch factor gets a lot higher down south of there nearer Manchester Rd, but Franz Park (in between there and Manchester Rd) is nice. There was a shooting murder, love triangle issue, just northeast of there last winter (outside the Oakland Place Apartments) but I've not seen a lot of scary news about the area otherwise. I wouldn't sweat it, but maybe someone who lives there can chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: